FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't bands keep their level

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 10:22
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

First of all: It is all in the eye of the beholder, or rather the ear of the listener; the bands would probably not agree. De gustibus non est disputandum.

On the other hand, there are a ton of old bands that will release an album, play some of the songs from that album on the one tour, and basically forget about that album on subsequent tours to make room for older stuff. Maybe part of it is pandering to the audiences, but part of it must be that they didn't feel it was worth playing again. Yes is a good example of this - they'll dig deep into their 70's rep, but nothing past the 90s really survives past a tour or two (although Magnification seemed to have some lasting power; coincidentally it's well received on PA). Whereas bands like Rush and King Crimson have typically tried to keep a few songs from each new album in their sets (although not so much for recent KC, though they play new stuff they've only done live).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 10:06
Pink Floyd was mentioned, and for me that's a good example of a band that was very creative in their youth, and later on got too predictable and commercial for these ears. The music became more conservative, and studies do show that people generally become more conservative as they age since they are less likely to take risks and try new things. That said, the refinement that can come with age is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Experience matters, and a veteran can have a better sense of what works.

I definitely think that some artists/ composers (classical music has been mentioned) can continue to make great and influential music throughout their lives. Beethoven's glorious 9th wasn't composed until he was in his 50's as I recall (he died a few years later). Those who take composition very seriously and are well trained in it refine and learn as they get older -- the best art I think tends to come from not only those who continue to try new things, but are always learning, always seeking, and striving to improve. They are open-minded people, at least in their fields, who never completely lose the passion, the desire to be creative and to push themselves.   The music may be less innovative or edgy and more conventional as they become older, but experience is gained. There are many novelists who put out their greatest works when they were older -- some didn't get published until they were older. With many bands, I think the experience tends to leave these people more tired, in a rut, as well as less willing to take risks and experiment (music may become overly formulaic and they're just going though the motions). I find it sad when you get these old music artists who are just playing their old stuff -- reliving their "glory years" for nostalgic audience members who look back fondly on their youths, often at the cost of not growing and expanding one's tastes and enjoying the present to the the fullest potential. For a time I was living in an old age home. I was young, but it was because of my job, and I found the old-time music selection for old-timers quite depressing. Sure some very old people revert back to memories of their youth, but I felt that this was sad and not helping to keep these people living in the present moment and for today. I'm already at the point (I'm only in my 40s) of becoming too nostalgic and reverting to childhood passions.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 08:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm not sure it ever was. Progarchives has certainly taught me just how much brilliant and highly innovative music that was created during those classic 70s years...but folks never heard of em back then because of a million different things and some times just sheer bad luck..for everyone involved. I much prefer the obscurities to the usual suspects these days.

The internet is also a master genius at "rewriting" history ie Talk Talk were never as popular during their lifespan yet nowadays have millions of fans that believe they pioneered the post-rock genre. The same story can be told about Nick Drake and to a much lesser extent Gentle Giant...bar the post-rock accolade of course.
Maybe in 50 years people will marvel at the magnificence that is Franco Battiato like I do right now. His most interesting albums to this forum are the first 4 albums whilst his most successful work without a doubt was made during the 80s. Again with the yardstick.
I see your point. There were always hidden gems in that era too. Very true, but again popular albums like CTTE, Brain Salad Surgery, DSotM and Wish You Were Here were all very good. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle, during the seventies, in regard to popular vs good.

But to return to the point of the topic, even a niche group like Horslips had their nadir and decline in that era.

Edited by SteveG - September 08 2018 at 09:25
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 08:41
First of all: It is all in the eye of the beholder, or rather the ear of the listener; the bands would probably not agree. De gustibus non est disputandum.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 08:18
My theory is that every artist has a shelf-life. While some bands recognize this and break up before stagnation occurs, others milk it for as long as they can since their brand name is the only cash cow that they have going for them. 

While some artists strive to be original on every single album (take Ulver for example), very few have the stamina to continously evolve and of course the fans, once inured to a certain musical style, are usually not on board for such musical moodswings.

Always exceptions of course, Frank Zappa seemed to have a big enough following through all his phases of his existence, but of course, he was an exception and not the rule.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - September 08 2018 at 08:18

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 07:51
Rush did pretty well.  Had some dips, and never fully returned to the level of their heyday.  But 40 years after they started, Clockwork Angels was magnificent.  

Although it was a commercial disappointment, Kansas' Somewhere to Elsewhere, two and a half decades after their heyday, was as good as anything they'd ever done.

Asia's XXX (2012) was far and away their best effort.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 07:03
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

La drogue, bébé, la drogue.

I don't believe that, in general, drugs make artists more creative (I believe scientific studies on this have been inconclusive)

Rather I think creative people tend to be risk takers and risk takers are more likely to experiment with drugs.
Songs cast a light on you
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 03:47
I am also passionate music lover, this place is great when there are others too (at the moment I haven´t got any really close friend that is as passionate with music as I).

I can say great music has really saved my life.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 01:31
Taste is generally a subjective thing. I can see why people dislike Momentary Lapse, I personally consider it better than most of the early output. But that's life, diversity in taste.

I think that solos need to fit the music. For example, Pink Floyd "Echoes" I consider a pinnacle of art rock and prog, particularly because it never lets the solos take precedence over the musicality of the piece. It has great keyboard, electric guitar, and slide guitar solos. There are shining moments for all the band members, great atmospherics etc.

But it never takes a break from the sheer brilliant writing and musicality for "show off the musician time."

10 minutes of instrumental genius can be amazing when done in a way that isn't disruptive and, like you said, just to show off.

Echoes - Pink Floyd
Dogs - Pink Floyd
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
Before the Fall - Babylon
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden
Devil's Triangle - King Crimson
Lady of the Lake - StarCastle
First and Second Movements - Quill

All sheer genius. And throw a dart at Magma's discography and find 20 minute long works of brilliance just waiting on half their bloody output.

Music is about the journey and the exploration. Solos help us with that exploration, but only when they are actually going somewhere and taking us with them. When people are just showing off, there is no journey happening.

That is why I love David Gilmour on Comfortably Numb in particular. Those solos are filled with so much emotion, that they just drag us into the song, into the tearing and screaming mind of Pink.

I feel like I am sounding like a passionate music teacher, whose losing his mind at a white wall lol.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 23:15
^It seems we really have totally different music taste (specially I love the early Pink Floyd and Momentary is the weakest for me, although not totally bad album), but I agree you with solos. But on the other hand there can be also over side long, enjoyable solos, for example I have always loved the Grateful Dead Dark Star in their first live double. But if solos meaning is just to show players skills, it´s really crap.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 18:14
I don't think this is actually the case really.

-Pink Floyd... all their later stuff I thought was the work of sheer genius. It was their early stuff I thought was trash, particularly More, Ummagumma, and Obscured by Clouds.

-Styx only improved and got better with time, sans Kilroy.

-StarCastle, I thought improved with every album, except Reel to Real, but that wasn't bad either, just a decent pop/hard rock album vs prog.

-Boston was universally amazing in every album

------------------

I don't view music based on maturity or whatever nonsense. I view it based on:

1. Technical skill
2. Enjoyability

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Atomheart Mother, Meddle, The Wall etc are all highly enjoyable, and are bloody works of genius and technical virtuosity (and I judge virtuosity based on musicality, not how flashy people are).

I dislike YES, Rush, and quite a few others because they are just flashy technical show offs. Whereas take Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb, one of the single most emotional and gorgeous solos ever performed, imo. Similar to why I don't listen to much ELP (even though I love them, I need to be in the right mood for that).

Thus, a lot of times, for me, their later output ends up being what I consider the greatest, because they are expressing sheer virtuosic and gorgeous music, without needing to be show offs, and have a 10 minute solo that is really unnecessary and wears out its welcome after the first 50 seconds.

Solos aren't necessary. 10 minute expositions aren't necessary.

What is necessary is good music. And too often we prog fans get all high and mighty when someone lets a bit of pop into their music, even though the music is still excellent and still prog. Or we lose it because they don't have 20 minute long solos that take up a whole side of a vinyl. Oh the shame. The world is ending because an artist decides to expand their horizon and explore their music.

That is what prog is about. It is about exploring music and musical ability. And exploration doesn't mean always having to have 20 minute solos, changing key signatures and time signatures 500 times (Dream Theater...).
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 17:44
As The Who sang in their famous song, the "Music Must Change".
       You all have made some very important points, and some real thinking has been going on, and rightly so, as this is music, and therefore it has the ability to astound us, or repel us, and it is important to know WHY.
          In any given band, there are different ways of looking at the same music, and the beauty really is in "the ears of the beholder".
             To shock you, I once read in a dictionary of heavy metal, they had Triumvirat listed (???) and the "reviewer" claimed the band did nothing of note until their 1978 album "A La Carte", where they finally came into their own. I kid you not about this.
              Now most of their fans would not buy that impression in a month of Sundays, but there is the point that I am trying to illustrate, that we have different ways of feeling about music. Another fan on the net put it quite differently, "when Helmut Koellen left the band, so did their career". And that was after 1975's Spartacus.

Edited by presdoug - September 07 2018 at 17:46
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 13:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think this has infinitely more to do with the ears of the beholder than the actual artist in that we all prefer different things. I know folks who adore The Final Cut and really can't stomach Ummagumma while I'm the complete opposite. Who's right? What is the real 'level' and when did they hit it?
Swedish band called Dungen that I really really dig and these cats have never released a dud imho - and going on 20 years I think that is quite the feat. Are they groundbreakingly innovative? Nope but I love the music.

But sure most longlasting artists have slums and duds according to one's tastes, but how many people stay on top throughout their careers swarming with crisp ideas and infinite gusto?
Then again some times you need the really bad times in order to grow as a musician/person/chili.
I agree. I think Red Krayola is really genius, but also really underrated band. But is it just me who´s thinking that way? I know they have many other fans than me too, but anyway I do not know anyone else in Finland who love them.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:54
I'm not sure it ever was. Progarchives has certainly taught me just how much brilliant and highly innovative music that was created during those classic 70s years...but folks never heard of em back then because of a million different things and some times just sheer bad luck..for everyone involved. I much prefer the obscurities to the usual suspects these days.

The internet is also a master genius at "rewriting" history ie Talk Talk were never as popular during their lifespan yet nowadays have millions of fans that believe they pioneered the post-rock genre. The same story can be told about Nick Drake and to a much lesser extent Gentle Giant...bar the post-rock accolade of course.
Maybe in 50 years people will marvel at the magnificence that is Franco Battiato like I do right now. His most interesting albums to this forum are the first 4 albums whilst his most successful work without a doubt was made during the 80s. Again with the yardstick.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 07 2018 at 10:56
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:38
Mea culpa. I recall a time when popularity was directly related to how good the music was.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:36
If popularity and succes is the yardstick here then we can finally herald Genesis 80s output as their objective finest and the exact same time they reached "the level"
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:24
^ I see that as a case of apples and oranges. Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother never had the popularity of Fragile or CTTE, and are roughly from the same era.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:20
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I wonder if a lot of musicians just "mature" and get more confident in their songwriting as they get older. Maybe they start to think "Hey! This song is good enough as it is that I don't need a 10 minute keyboard solo in 11/8 to make it good!".

This is problematic in prog because I think that youthful attitude of not being afraid to be a little (or a lot in some cases) excessive is what makes prog exciting.

I think that goes for all rock music. When you go mature you ultimately lose the cohones and the music ends up geriatric and far too clean. Bear in mind the very same musicians probably still blast The Who's Live at Leeds at home often wondering why music doesn't sound like in the good old days. Hmmm

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:15
I think this has infinitely more to do with the ears of the beholder than the actual artist in that we all prefer different things. I know folks who adore The Final Cut and really can't stomach Ummagumma while I'm the complete opposite. Who's right? What is the real 'level' and when did they hit it?
Swedish band called Dungen that I really really dig and these cats have never released a dud imho - and going on 20 years I think that is quite the feat. Are they groundbreakingly innovative? Nope but I love the music.

But sure most longlasting artists have slums and duds according to one's tastes, but how many people stay on top throughout their careers swarming with crisp ideas and infinite gusto?
Then again some times you need the really bad times in order to grow as a musician/person/chili.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 07 2018 at 10:16

- Douglas Adams
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 09:48
I wonder if a lot of musicians just "mature" and get more confident in their songwriting as they get older. Maybe they start to think "Hey! This song is good enough as it is that I don't need a 10 minute keyboard solo in 11/8 to make it good!".

This is problematic in prog because I think that youthful attitude of not being afraid to be a little (or a lot in some cases) excessive is what makes prog exciting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>