Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't bands keep their level

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 21:49
With luck, said artists end up having one last spark of brilliance. Mike Oldfield's last album, Return to Ommadawn, for me is every bit as brilliant as any of his 70's masterpieces... after all this time. Rick Wakeman's "Out There" is just great too. The Divison Bell, from Pink Floyd, is one of my favourites from them. King Crimson's "The Power to Believe" is also very good (though I might seem to just have written otherwise on the previous post... anyway they stil had better albums in the 70's). Steven Wilson did some of his best stuff with Grace from Drowning and The Raven albums (I liked them better than most of his PT stuff, and I do like PT).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 21:59
I am with Logan, creativity seems to be strongest in the early age.

I havenīt ever believed drugs increase creativity, of course the using of them affected what kind of sounds sixties musicmakers wanted to make, but you have to remember for example Beatles & Dylan were really creative already in the period when they didnīt use drugs (at least that much). I havenīt heard anybody in the sixties had become great musician after started using drugs.

On the other hand there are artists that has become great in their old age (not in prog). For example Tom Waits & John Parish.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 23:59
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

During what we call the "Golden Era" of prog, mainly late sixties and early seventies, the music industry allowed the artists to be creative, and find their own distinctive sound. Later on, the pressure to write a "HIT" and be successful became the norm, and many artists had to comply so they would not loose their contracts. Also, the public taste changed significantly, and mainstream music completely took over the radio waves, forcing many great musicians to write simple and catchy songs.
I have long thought in 60-70 something really special happened in the popular music all over the world, not just prog. Although many really great albums has made also 1980-2018, also making of crap has risen much more than in that "golden period". I donīt think itīs just music industry although the business has become there much more, in the sixties-seventies record companies wanted to sell the records and if they didnīt sell, they fired the artists (itīs true they gave much more chances then than today). When thinking all the cultures that has been in the history, there has been times they rise and times they fall. So I think that has happened also in the popular music culture.
The Unifaun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Unifaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 01:56
I found a lot of meaningful thoughts in all your comments. Which leads to the assumption that there is not just one simple reason.
There are most propably several factors. If success strengthen the ego of a few, that might create a disbalance. Which of course is not healthy and creates stress amongst the band mates. I've seen a couple of documentaries e.g. Eagles, Chicago and others and was surprised how much animosity and jealousy amongst the musician were noticeable. That also could kill the creativity.
Rush seems to be completely different. Friendship, empathie and trust. Maybe one of the reason why they where still able to produce high quality music after all that years.
True, their best are also from the past (Hemispheres, Moving Pictures and the like).
But Clockwork Angels has quality and its moments which you don't found in later works from the other mentioned bands.
Of course there are also other good examples. To me, Marillion still come up with great albums.

Edited by The Unifaun - September 07 2018 at 01:57
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 05:17
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

During what we call the "Golden Era" of prog, mainly late sixties and early seventies, the music industry allowed the artists to be creative, and find their own distinctive sound. Later on, the pressure to write a "HIT" and be successful became the norm, and many artists had to comply so they would not loose their contracts. Also, the public taste changed significantly, and mainstream music completely took over the radio waves, forcing many great musicians to write simple and catchy songs.

Spot on . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 06:22
Is it also the case that rock music was in its infancy in the 60's and 70's?  There were lots of new avenues to explore, lots of low hanging fruit to be picked?

When I listen to many modern bands, even very musically proficient ones, it seems that they are often just going over old ground, doing what has already been done, usually better, by the 60's and 70's bands.

And is that because most of the exploration has already been done and there is very little new to be discovered?
Songs cast a light on you
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 07:04
^ Yes, its partly a case what's been did is plentiful and what's still hid is only a little.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Unifaun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Unifaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 08:52
You both probably right. There is nothing really groundbreaking anymore. But there is still some good music. Maybe not as many as in the past, but from time to time, there is a light in the darkness ;-)
My light this year is "The Sea Within"...
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 09:48
I wonder if a lot of musicians just "mature" and get more confident in their songwriting as they get older. Maybe they start to think "Hey! This song is good enough as it is that I don't need a 10 minute keyboard solo in 11/8 to make it good!".

This is problematic in prog because I think that youthful attitude of not being afraid to be a little (or a lot in some cases) excessive is what makes prog exciting.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:15
I think this has infinitely more to do with the ears of the beholder than the actual artist in that we all prefer different things. I know folks who adore The Final Cut and really can't stomach Ummagumma while I'm the complete opposite. Who's right? What is the real 'level' and when did they hit it?
Swedish band called Dungen that I really really dig and these cats have never released a dud imho - and going on 20 years I think that is quite the feat. Are they groundbreakingly innovative? Nope but I love the music.

But sure most longlasting artists have slums and duds according to one's tastes, but how many people stay on top throughout their careers swarming with crisp ideas and infinite gusto?
Then again some times you need the really bad times in order to grow as a musician/person/chili.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 07 2018 at 10:16
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:20
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I wonder if a lot of musicians just "mature" and get more confident in their songwriting as they get older. Maybe they start to think "Hey! This song is good enough as it is that I don't need a 10 minute keyboard solo in 11/8 to make it good!".

This is problematic in prog because I think that youthful attitude of not being afraid to be a little (or a lot in some cases) excessive is what makes prog exciting.

I think that goes for all rock music. When you go mature you ultimately lose the cohones and the music ends up geriatric and far too clean. Bear in mind the very same musicians probably still blast The Who's Live at Leeds at home often wondering why music doesn't sound like in the good old days. Hmmm
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:24
^ I see that as a case of apples and oranges. Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother never had the popularity of Fragile or CTTE, and are roughly from the same era.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:36
If popularity and succes is the yardstick here then we can finally herald Genesis 80s output as their objective finest and the exact same time they reached "the level"

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:38
Mea culpa. I recall a time when popularity was directly related to how good the music was.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:54
I'm not sure it ever was. Progarchives has certainly taught me just how much brilliant and highly innovative music that was created during those classic 70s years...but folks never heard of em back then because of a million different things and some times just sheer bad luck..for everyone involved. I much prefer the obscurities to the usual suspects these days.

The internet is also a master genius at "rewriting" history ie Talk Talk were never as popular during their lifespan yet nowadays have millions of fans that believe they pioneered the post-rock genre. The same story can be told about Nick Drake and to a much lesser extent Gentle Giant...bar the post-rock accolade of course.
Maybe in 50 years people will marvel at the magnificence that is Franco Battiato like I do right now. His most interesting albums to this forum are the first 4 albums whilst his most successful work without a doubt was made during the 80s. Again with the yardstick.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 07 2018 at 10:56

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 13:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think this has infinitely more to do with the ears of the beholder than the actual artist in that we all prefer different things. I know folks who adore The Final Cut and really can't stomach Ummagumma while I'm the complete opposite. Who's right? What is the real 'level' and when did they hit it?
Swedish band called Dungen that I really really dig and these cats have never released a dud imho - and going on 20 years I think that is quite the feat. Are they groundbreakingly innovative? Nope but I love the music.

But sure most longlasting artists have slums and duds according to one's tastes, but how many people stay on top throughout their careers swarming with crisp ideas and infinite gusto?
Then again some times you need the really bad times in order to grow as a musician/person/chili.
I agree. I think Red Krayola is really genius, but also really underrated band. But is it just me whoīs thinking that way? I know they have many other fans than me too, but anyway I do not know anyone else in Finland who love them.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 17:44
As The Who sang in their famous song, the "Music Must Change".
       You all have made some very important points, and some real thinking has been going on, and rightly so, as this is music, and therefore it has the ability to astound us, or repel us, and it is important to know WHY.
          In any given band, there are different ways of looking at the same music, and the beauty really is in "the ears of the beholder".
             To shock you, I once read in a dictionary of heavy metal, they had Triumvirat listed (???) and the "reviewer" claimed the band did nothing of note until their 1978 album "A La Carte", where they finally came into their own. I kid you not about this.
              Now most of their fans would not buy that impression in a month of Sundays, but there is the point that I am trying to illustrate, that we have different ways of feeling about music. Another fan on the net put it quite differently, "when Helmut Koellen left the band, so did their career". And that was after 1975's Spartacus.

Edited by presdoug - September 07 2018 at 17:46
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 18:14
I don't think this is actually the case really.

-Pink Floyd... all their later stuff I thought was the work of sheer genius. It was their early stuff I thought was trash, particularly More, Ummagumma, and Obscured by Clouds.

-Styx only improved and got better with time, sans Kilroy.

-StarCastle, I thought improved with every album, except Reel to Real, but that wasn't bad either, just a decent pop/hard rock album vs prog.

-Boston was universally amazing in every album

------------------

I don't view music based on maturity or whatever nonsense. I view it based on:

1. Technical skill
2. Enjoyability

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Atomheart Mother, Meddle, The Wall etc are all highly enjoyable, and are bloody works of genius and technical virtuosity (and I judge virtuosity based on musicality, not how flashy people are).

I dislike YES, Rush, and quite a few others because they are just flashy technical show offs. Whereas take Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb, one of the single most emotional and gorgeous solos ever performed, imo. Similar to why I don't listen to much ELP (even though I love them, I need to be in the right mood for that).

Thus, a lot of times, for me, their later output ends up being what I consider the greatest, because they are expressing sheer virtuosic and gorgeous music, without needing to be show offs, and have a 10 minute solo that is really unnecessary and wears out its welcome after the first 50 seconds.

Solos aren't necessary. 10 minute expositions aren't necessary.

What is necessary is good music. And too often we prog fans get all high and mighty when someone lets a bit of pop into their music, even though the music is still excellent and still prog. Or we lose it because they don't have 20 minute long solos that take up a whole side of a vinyl. Oh the shame. The world is ending because an artist decides to expand their horizon and explore their music.

That is what prog is about. It is about exploring music and musical ability. And exploration doesn't mean always having to have 20 minute solos, changing key signatures and time signatures 500 times (Dream Theater...).
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 23:15
^It seems we really have totally different music taste (specially I love the early Pink Floyd and Momentary is the weakest for me, although not totally bad album), but I agree you with solos. But on the other hand there can be also over side long, enjoyable solos, for example I have always loved the Grateful Dead Dark Star in their first live double. But if solos meaning is just to show players skills, itīs really crap.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 01:31
Taste is generally a subjective thing. I can see why people dislike Momentary Lapse, I personally consider it better than most of the early output. But that's life, diversity in taste.

I think that solos need to fit the music. For example, Pink Floyd "Echoes" I consider a pinnacle of art rock and prog, particularly because it never lets the solos take precedence over the musicality of the piece. It has great keyboard, electric guitar, and slide guitar solos. There are shining moments for all the band members, great atmospherics etc.

But it never takes a break from the sheer brilliant writing and musicality for "show off the musician time."

10 minutes of instrumental genius can be amazing when done in a way that isn't disruptive and, like you said, just to show off.

Echoes - Pink Floyd
Dogs - Pink Floyd
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
Before the Fall - Babylon
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden
Devil's Triangle - King Crimson
Lady of the Lake - StarCastle
First and Second Movements - Quill

All sheer genius. And throw a dart at Magma's discography and find 20 minute long works of brilliance just waiting on half their bloody output.

Music is about the journey and the exploration. Solos help us with that exploration, but only when they are actually going somewhere and taking us with them. When people are just showing off, there is no journey happening.

That is why I love David Gilmour on Comfortably Numb in particular. Those solos are filled with so much emotion, that they just drag us into the song, into the tearing and screaming mind of Pink.

I feel like I am sounding like a passionate music teacher, whose losing his mind at a white wall lol.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>