Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't bands keep their level

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 03:47
I am also passionate music lover, this place is great when there are others too (at the moment I haven´t got any really close friend that is as passionate with music as I).

I can say great music has really saved my life.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 07:03
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

La drogue, bébé, la drogue.

I don't believe that, in general, drugs make artists more creative (I believe scientific studies on this have been inconclusive)

Rather I think creative people tend to be risk takers and risk takers are more likely to experiment with drugs.
Songs cast a light on you
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 07:51
Rush did pretty well.  Had some dips, and never fully returned to the level of their heyday.  But 40 years after they started, Clockwork Angels was magnificent.  

Although it was a commercial disappointment, Kansas' Somewhere to Elsewhere, two and a half decades after their heyday, was as good as anything they'd ever done.

Asia's XXX (2012) was far and away their best effort.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 08:18
My theory is that every artist has a shelf-life. While some bands recognize this and break up before stagnation occurs, others milk it for as long as they can since their brand name is the only cash cow that they have going for them. 

While some artists strive to be original on every single album (take Ulver for example), very few have the stamina to continously evolve and of course the fans, once inured to a certain musical style, are usually not on board for such musical moodswings.

Always exceptions of course, Frank Zappa seemed to have a big enough following through all his phases of his existence, but of course, he was an exception and not the rule.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - September 08 2018 at 08:18

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 08:41
First of all: It is all in the eye of the beholder, or rather the ear of the listener; the bands would probably not agree. De gustibus non est disputandum.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 08:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm not sure it ever was. Progarchives has certainly taught me just how much brilliant and highly innovative music that was created during those classic 70s years...but folks never heard of em back then because of a million different things and some times just sheer bad luck..for everyone involved. I much prefer the obscurities to the usual suspects these days.

The internet is also a master genius at "rewriting" history ie Talk Talk were never as popular during their lifespan yet nowadays have millions of fans that believe they pioneered the post-rock genre. The same story can be told about Nick Drake and to a much lesser extent Gentle Giant...bar the post-rock accolade of course.
Maybe in 50 years people will marvel at the magnificence that is Franco Battiato like I do right now. His most interesting albums to this forum are the first 4 albums whilst his most successful work without a doubt was made during the 80s. Again with the yardstick.
I see your point. There were always hidden gems in that era too. Very true, but again popular albums like CTTE, Brain Salad Surgery, DSotM and Wish You Were Here were all very good. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle, during the seventies, in regard to popular vs good.

But to return to the point of the topic, even a niche group like Horslips had their nadir and decline in that era.

Edited by SteveG - September 08 2018 at 09:25
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 10:06
Pink Floyd was mentioned, and for me that's a good example of a band that was very creative in their youth, and later on got too predictable and commercial for these ears. The music became more conservative, and studies do show that people generally become more conservative as they age since they are less likely to take risks and try new things. That said, the refinement that can come with age is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Experience matters, and a veteran can have a better sense of what works.

I definitely think that some artists/ composers (classical music has been mentioned) can continue to make great and influential music throughout their lives. Beethoven's glorious 9th wasn't composed until he was in his 50's as I recall (he died a few years later). Those who take composition very seriously and are well trained in it refine and learn as they get older -- the best art I think tends to come from not only those who continue to try new things, but are always learning, always seeking, and striving to improve. They are open-minded people, at least in their fields, who never completely lose the passion, the desire to be creative and to push themselves.   The music may be less innovative or edgy and more conventional as they become older, but experience is gained. There are many novelists who put out their greatest works when they were older -- some didn't get published until they were older. With many bands, I think the experience tends to leave these people more tired, in a rut, as well as less willing to take risks and experiment (music may become overly formulaic and they're just going though the motions). I find it sad when you get these old music artists who are just playing their old stuff -- reliving their "glory years" for nostalgic audience members who look back fondly on their youths, often at the cost of not growing and expanding one's tastes and enjoying the present to the the fullest potential. For a time I was living in an old age home. I was young, but it was because of my job, and I found the old-time music selection for old-timers quite depressing. Sure some very old people revert back to memories of their youth, but I felt that this was sad and not helping to keep these people living in the present moment and for today. I'm already at the point (I'm only in my 40s) of becoming too nostalgic and reverting to childhood passions.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 10:22
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

First of all: It is all in the eye of the beholder, or rather the ear of the listener; the bands would probably not agree. De gustibus non est disputandum.

On the other hand, there are a ton of old bands that will release an album, play some of the songs from that album on the one tour, and basically forget about that album on subsequent tours to make room for older stuff. Maybe part of it is pandering to the audiences, but part of it must be that they didn't feel it was worth playing again. Yes is a good example of this - they'll dig deep into their 70's rep, but nothing past the 90s really survives past a tour or two (although Magnification seemed to have some lasting power; coincidentally it's well received on PA). Whereas bands like Rush and King Crimson have typically tried to keep a few songs from each new album in their sets (although not so much for recent KC, though they play new stuff they've only done live).
The Unifaun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Unifaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 11:01
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Solos aren't necessary. 10 minute expositions aren't necessary.

If a ten minute solo is made for its own sake, I don't see a reason for that. If it supports the music, it is very much welcomed. I agree that pure posing, to show playing ability, is damn boring. And this happen far to often. I was for long time a DT "fan". Not any longer. Too one-dimensional - technique first. Not my taste any more.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 12:18
The effectiveness of a solo depends so much on the context. A good solo doesn't just support the music, it is the music (of course it's a part of the music). How integral it is and how integrated it should be into the greater piece depends on context and an individual's assessment. Sometimes a solo adds another dimension to the music, and an interesting opportunity to explore themes and create contrasts. It can work well in juxtaposition, or can be used in a more cohesive, straight-forward musical manner. In metal and hard rock I do tend to find solos boring as they seem too often to be added in just to show-off their chops rather than as a more "artistic" means to convey a feeling or to add to the feel. With many heavy metal acts, it's like a formulaic patchwork, insert guitar solo here, insert drum solo here, and doesn't feel organic. It doesn't to my ears add to the piece, but others enjoy it, and sometimes they're just having fun with it.

I often love hearing solo compositions where the whole piece is one solo -- I love solo cello, piano and xylophone for instance -- but in the band context, rarely does a long solo section added into the piece work very well for me. I have heard some jazz band recordings with some good long solos and many classical works where I felt that the solos (say in concertos) positively added to the musical experience, and it wasn't being done just for the sake of having a solo.

Side-note: There are many examples of shorter solos in rock that I think are very good, though I prefer it when they are acoustic instruments on the whole (guitar, violin, woodwinds such as flute, oboe, vibraphone, piano etc.). Hearing a solo instrument rise out of the rest of the band or orchestration to stand alone can be sublime.

I do think that one could come up with very long solos that work beautifully into the composition. Is it necessary, maybe not, but then ultimately what is? If that's their creative vision and it's not just being used to show off (see how good we are), then great.

Sorry, no sleep, and I know this is really badly presented/ written/ thought-out and rambling post.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 13:06
Some of the creativity burst in the beginning was due to bands competing against each other!  This is well documented...Yes, King Crimson, ELP and Genesis etc. were out to prove who could play faster, more complex pieces and draw more attention. 

I miss those days! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:14
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Some exceptions: The Enid, IQ, Ozric Tentacles...

...Goblin! Non Ho Sonno (2000), BacktotheGoblin 2005 and Four of a Kind (2015) are as good as anything they did from '75 to '80.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:20
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Rush did pretty well.  Had some dips, and never fully returned to the level of their heyday.  But 40 years after they started, Clockwork Angels was magnificent.

Their comeback, so to speak, was marked by a splendid little album they released in 2002, called Vapor TrailsWink
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 19:36
While creativity might be stronger in youth, I think there is another better reason for why the best albums *tend* to the earlier one: record company involvement. In the late 1970s in particular, record companies put the screws on existing bands - they wanted a radio hit. Note that Fripp ended Crimson just before this kind of thing hit in the mid 70s, and generally didn't like making Crimson albums when he felt pressured. 

Even today, I think a lot of the difference in quality relates to pressures put on musicians, either to come out with a follow-up quickly, match a current sound, keep up with the Jones band, etc. But when good musicians take the time to make music that speaks to them, it is generally quality music.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 21:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think this has infinitely more to do with the ears of the beholder than the actual artist in that we all prefer different things. I know folks who adore The Final Cut and really can't stomach Ummagumma while I'm the complete opposite. Who's right? What is the real 'level' and when did they hit it?
Swedish band called Dungen that I really really dig and these cats have never released a dud imho - and going on 20 years I think that is quite the feat. Are they groundbreakingly innovative? Nope but I love the music.

But sure most longlasting artists have slums and duds according to one's tastes, but how many people stay on top throughout their careers swarming with crisp ideas and infinite gusto?
Then again some times you need the really bad times in order to grow as a musician/person/chili.

Yeah, but Pink Floyd is a weird case, since (at least for me), just about all of their albums are at least good. And they have so many fans that some will easily like the sound of one era, while not really being able to get into the sound of another (some love them because of their pop sensibilities, some love them because of their experimentation, some love them because of their long musical instrumental passages). However, I dare you find someone who likes Heaven & Earth (or Tormato, Union, The Ladder) more than Close to the Edge, Fragile, or The Yes album (yeah yeah, I know, there's tastes for everyone and you might actually find someone out there who does like H&E better).
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 22:24
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yeah, but Pink Floyd is a weird case, since (at least for me), just about all of their albums are at least good. And they have so many fans that some will easily like the sound of one era, while not really being able to get into the sound of another (some love them because of their pop sensibilities, some love them because of their experimentation, some love them because of their long musical instrumental passages). However, I dare you find someone who likes Heaven & Earth (or Tormato, Union, The Ladder) more than Close to the Edge, Fragile, or The Yes album (yeah yeah, I know, there's tastes for everyone and you might actually find someone out there who does like H&E better).

*Raises hand

I like Heaven & Earth more than the vast majority of the early output...

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 23:07
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Always exceptions of course, Frank Zappa seemed to have a big enough following through all his phases of his existence, but of course, he was an exception and not the rule.
To me Zappa is one of the biggest examples how creativity is great in the youth, but low when you get older. I think Zappa made genius records in the sixties, but right in the begin of seventies started to just recycle his old ideas. Most of the seventies albums are ok, but just ok, they lack the greatness of those sixties albums. I listened quite recently the whole Joe´s Garage first time and about it "humour" I have to say he really was those in this rock business who has really big macho ego, that I really haven´t ever find anything great.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 03:48
Every album is just a moment in time. It's a combination of ideas, enthusiasm and and circumstance. To quote Heraclitus, you cannot step into the same river twice. 

Apart from commercialism taking over, people get bored of playing with each other, people wear their repertoires out, it all becomes a drag, there are internal arguments, "creative differences" and the need to pay the bills - it all becomes boring and samey but you all stay together to pay the bills. 

Bands have a half life and tend to play best when no one person is in total control and you have floating members. 

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 04:15
I also don't hold with the idea that creativity is a function of youth. Most jazz musicians get better with age. You get more experience, more ideas, as you get older - some times. It's not black and white, some musicians get better, some get lazy and worse. Jazz tends to be a musical genre with non static personnel, though. 

One additional thing - bands tend to stick together. The drummer is rubbish, the bass player is a one trick pony, but you stay together as you're friends or contracted to do so. Or it all ends in "creative differences" and bad output, anyway. Sometimes, when you're trying to play with other people, you have to accept that what you're producing is a joint effort and you don't always agree about the way someone's done something. Unless you play all the instruments yourself, that's what's going to happen. 

One of the problems is building on ideas. You can release an album which works perfectly: the next idea sounds great in theory but turns out bad in practice. By the time you've started recording, you're somewhat committed to it and it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to change direction. There also used to be the idea that you'd release an album once a year, when albums should have been released when the artist was ready.

Then, you have a music company who are paying a group of long haired weirdoes to sit around smoking dope rather than producing "product", going on tour and making money for them. So pressure is put on to churn some stuff out. 

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 04:17
Actually, with a lot of modern prog bands, they get better as they make more albums and refine their sound. IQ is probably the best example of this, though I love their 80's work too. I think Neal Morse, The Flower Kings and Steven Wilson have continued at a high quality level too.

The bands that suffer the most from the phenomenon you describe are punk bands and the like, where their music is almost entirely dependent on youthful energy and raw emotion, as opposed to compositional creativity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>