Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dexys Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dexys Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen"
    Posted: September 12 2018 at 15:39
I remember this big pop song when I was in high school and while MTV was still a new phenomenon. This was 1982 and I was just barely starting my transition form pop/rock top-40, to the sublime genre of Prog (thanks to a friend of mine).  The song was "Come On Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners.  It was a big hit, so it couldn't possibly be Prog, right?  Well......I've thought for quite a while that this song is a Prog song.  I just heard it on the radio in my workplace break room, which would usually be an immediate indicator that what I'm listening to is NOT Prog.  I swear this song seems very Proggy to me, and I'd just like the opinions of you all to verify that my suspicions are correct and I'm not imagining this OR to have you affirm to me, that yes indeed, I am crazy, ha.  
What do you think?  Thanks.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 16:00
You're crazy.

It is the very definition of 80s pop: bouncy, sickeningly sweet, mindless & incomprehensible lyrics, squeaky vocals, no guitar, heavy bass, and under five minutes.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 16:15
I love Dexys Midnight Runners but sorry, man. Not prog. It is really catchy pop rock with Celtic folk that got lumped into the new wave tag. That's a kick ass song but can't imagine how you would get prog out of it! Remember that experimental doesn't mean prog ;)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 16:41
hahahha...  yeah man...  you are f**king nuts... but in a good way. 

If one can throw sh*t at teh wall and call it art. .then damnit man.. one can throw Dexy and that godforsaken song against the wall and call it prog.

We need to introduce you to Pedro.  We do have our forum loons here and we do love them. They add spice and character in contrast to the sticks up their asses types that seem attracted to prog forums.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 16:46
^ Agreed.   Just because you're crazy doesn't mean you're not welcome.   In fact all the better.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 16:53
That song is awful! It's not only pop, but really lame and goofy pop. Pure MTV trash.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 12 2018 at 16:54
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 17:00
Kevin Rowland of DML is kinda crazy excellent pop artist indeed.

... And this thread moved to "General Music Discussions".
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 17:52
Ha, OK.....I am officially crazy, and thanks for the friendly comments.

I wonder if I had the Proggy sensation for this song because of these things below:

When you hear that song, do you hear:

Counter-melody ?
Tempo changes ?
Key changes ?
Tone change ?

Yeah, those things don't necessarily make it Prog, just like a song being 20 minutes long or having meaningful lyrics doesn't make it Prog.  Violin too.

Thanks for the responses!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 18:12
I just listened to the first two Dexys Midnight Runners albums recently. Quite brilliant gypsy folk pop. This video is hilarious. Presented for those who haven't a friggin clue what this thread is about LOL

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 19:35
Overalls with no shirt was pretty progressive in the 1980s. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 23:38
Originally posted by paisanojac paisanojac wrote:

Ha, OK.....I am officially crazy, and thanks for the friendly comments.

I wonder if I had the Proggy sensation for this song because of these things below:

When you hear that song, do you hear:

Counter-melody ?
Tempo changes ?
Key changes ?
Tone change ?

Yeah, those things don't necessarily make it Prog, just like a song being 20 minutes long or having meaningful lyrics doesn't make it Prog.  Violin too.

Thanks for the responses!
Yeah a lot of things happening in just four minutes. Impressive stuff really. Anyone thinking this is average top 40 sh*te isn't listening. Its something maybe Gentle Giant could or should have come up with if they they had the slightest knack for writing that hit they were so desperate for. I'll bet its a a lot harder to nail this one than most neoprog of the same period. That said I do find it somewhat grating on the ears nowadays (but so does a lot of later Gentle Giant). That's probably due to overexposure. Now Geno - that is a great song.  
Punkish new wave-northern soul&ska with strings, shouted choruses and rather complex arrangements was a real sub-genre (that time has forgot) of sorts in the early 80's. Some fun and interesting things, and also slightly annoying (some of these guys in the link underneath later had a success with their dance theatre performance pieces: Stomp) - the bandname itself Pookiesnackenburger irritated me even before I had listened to their music. But but its certainly way beyond three chords and the truth:

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 12 2018 at 23:47
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 23:49
It remeinds me of the efforts done my Men at Work, only fusing gypsy style rather than reagge style into new wave. Sort of inspired by 10cc "Dreadlock Holyday"
My favoueite artist to manage this is Kik Kershaw by fusing 80s with tigh-ass instrumentation
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 02:30
My days have been troubled recently. I can hardly stand to be reminded of this awful piece of 80's crap and even less when someone throws in the suggestion that it has something to do with prog.

What's more: I am quite flabbergasted by this sudden act of trolling by an account which has been in slumber for almost a dozen years (except for some 5 weeks in 2016).

Edited by someone_else - September 13 2018 at 04:31
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 02:39
This song brings me bad memories from the eighties, although it really isnīt even near the worst songs of that decade. Anyway heard it so many times in the eighties that donīt want to hear it again (God the eighties was back here in Finland last year and also they played this on the radio).
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 03:34
Arrrrggghh! I come on this site to get away from this sort of crap not have it thrust in my face. I feel abused
Songs cast a light on you
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 04:55
I thank you for reminding me of that song, because as soon as my mental jukebox started playing it I realised the chorus riff is pinched from 'I Can't Help Myself' by The Four Tops, which I then had an excuse to listen to for the first time in ages!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 05:27
It's not prog just because it changes tempo. This song just brings back memories of naff parties in the 80s and it's just another "Hi Ho Silver Lining"-type handbag dancing song.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 05:28
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Sort of inspired by 10cc "Dreadlock Holyday"

Another crap song.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 05:34
it's been played to death everywhere, I don't mind it, but I don't wanna hear it anytime soon. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 08:27
Quite the negative views of this song here. I have to admit that the song never bothered me either. It wasn't until i checked out the first two Dexys Midnite Runners albums in their entirety that i was hooked on their style. Of course even though i'm a hardened progger and extreme metalhead, i still love pop music a lot when it's done right. There is nothing wrong with melodic catchy hooks. This band did a great job at really standing out. They are somewhat alternative for their day but got caught up in the new wave world because of that video on MTV.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>