Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [23.44%]
40 [62.50%]
9 [14.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:58
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'd think of the first album of Tago Mago as the best introduction to the band. Rougher and more powerful than Future Days, Ege Bamyasi and Soon Over Babaluma but more varied and subtle than Monster Movie. Ultimately I love them all and they're more or less on a par but Tago Mago album one should be the best for recognizing at first listen what a force they were. (There's just the danger that the faint-hearted of the just converted get out of them again when listening to Tago Mago's second album. Cool)
I don't know why most seem to skip Soundtracks - nothing but fantastic songs, pure listening joy from start to finish + its got Mother Sky! Anyway I started with Ege Bamyasi and that worked like a charm. 

I love Mother Sky but overall Soundtracks for me is a rather inconsistent listening experience. Which is natural given that the tracks were meant to serve some other purpose in the first place than pure music listening, and that on top of that they were put together from I suppose quite different films. It's surely not a bad album but for listening from beginning to the end I'd rank it clearly behind the other listed ones.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 13:24
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ did I read that right man.. you've never listened to Can?

I envy you brother.. for some day you will.. and will be like having 4 men achieve simultanious orgasms in your ears...

those kinds of discoveries are what makes this music so great. You are in for a treat when you get around to cleaning up that black mark on your prog fan resume...

Yeah them and 'Gong' I keep seeing mentioned on here but never got around to listening to either. And as far as that black mark on the resume, it's probably too late at this point since there's so many popular artists on here(particularly all those ones from Italy) that I haven't heard yet that.. there's just too many man. Anyway can  you recommend an album from Can for me to start with? I would appreciate it friend. 
lets try this again. I tried to reply last night but captcha was a bitch in heat and she wnated some Big Mick. Rejected all my posts.  Finally I gave up... as I suspected you got some recommendations.. good ones they are but they are not the one you need to check out.

See Can is one of the most important and influential of all prog bands. Brother you really need to immerse yourself in them.  A fundemental and essential prog band.  I put them in the next 6.. more influential than any prog group outisde of Floyd and perhaps ELP but what makes them special is summed up bere...

Unlike virtually every band on the planet, Can were able to stradle the primal and the progressive, popular and avant-garde like no other in way that made both extermes seem like the best possible end for western music.

Music brother.. that is what Can is about. So unlike our well meaning previous helpers... I will recommend an album that was the distillation of everything they had progressed to. Did it have Damo.. hell no.. but Damo was not what Can was about.  A lot of bands loved to dither on about outer space.. no band tackled the inner space of one's mind like Can.. and the 2nd side of Soon over Babulama was and is in my humble opinion the single greatest sides of music that exists.   

In fact since I was thinking of you, Can, and this album today I brought it in to work today and subjected my chaffeur and helper to this as we were driving.. at about the 5 minute mark he said.. WTF is this.. this is amazing..

indeed... it is.....

Chain Reaction and Quantum Physics...   listen to these with a glass of wine in hand and the lights down low and see what Can had worked toward with the previous albums. Start here with this album, then go backwards and see how they arrived here. Unlike Magma.. Can is a band best served by introducing them at their apex then working backward..

btw.. hope you are being safe and out of harms way down there.  Been through a few hurricanes when I did my time in Fayettenam Nasty stuff man.. though no patch on a tornado... those b*****ds.. the real ones. Oklahoma style are the true wrath and hand of God.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 14:50
I listen to both, and like/appreciate both.

Yes is sort of standard - maybe a little too much at times - while Can are/were crazy. I appreciate their looseness and silliness, such as Halleluwah(?) with Damo's oddball singing. Also things like Malcolm Mooney's crazy stories, Holgar Czucky's picking up strange radio signals and mixing them into the music, and Jaki Leibezeit's hypnotic drumming. Lots of tribal jamming too, striking up a great groove and vibe.

I like the live version of Dizzy Dizzy on YouTube. That version is not necessarily flashy or prog, but it's still fun and infectious. It shows that you can draw out a lot from even simple rifts. Pulling the marrow out of the backbone of a song and running with it. Another way to use prog, but from a simple structure.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 14 2018 at 15:15
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:08
I listens to Yes more. Yes, I do.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:22

A lot of bands loved to dither on about outer space.. no band tackled the inner space of one's mind like Can.. and the 2nd side of Soon over Babulama was and is in my humble opinion the single greatest sides of music that exists.   

In fact since I was thinking of you, Can, and this album today I brought it in to work today and subjected my chaffeur and helper to this as we were driving.. at about the 5 minute mark he said.. WTF is this.. this is amazing..

indeed... it is.....

Chain Reaction and Quantum Physics...   listen to these with a glass of wine in hand and the lights down low and see what Can had worked toward with the previous albums. Start here with this album, then go backwards and see how they arrived here. Unlike Magma.. Can is a band best served by introducing them at their apex then working backward..
Its miraculous yeah. Nothing quite like Chain Reaction existed before it and maybe not after. Your post reminded me of this Pitchfork text/review by Dominique Leone: 

There are four small miracles in Can's "Chain Reaction"/"Quantum Physics", from 1974's Soon Over Babaluma. The first occurs at about 40 seconds into "Chain Reaction" when the 4/4 stomp of Jaki Liebezeit's drums line up with Holger Czukay's bass pulse, alongside tambourine and percolating drum machine; I realize that this song is closer to trance techno than the minimalist funk or psychedelic motorik of the band's earlier records. In fact, the first time I ever heard "Chain Reaction", I was mostly unfamiliar with trance, and wondered if Can had actually invented the music. I'd never read anything to that effect, but it seemed obvious they must have had at least a hand in its creation. In any case, the only music I've heard since that approached their primal, impressionistic romp has been by bonafide dancefloor shamans like the Orb or Orbital, or even Aphex Twin's ambient stuff. Of course, I loved Can a lot more: They seemed subtler and messier, like Claude Debussy's ghost tripping over a Mayan ruin mid-thought.

The second miracle occurs at the 6:28 mark in "Chain Reaction", when the swirling mass of synth and Michael Karoli's brain-fried guitar solo is brutally interrupted by a chime and black void of metallic, echo-chamber ambience. The beat stays intact (Liebezeit couldn't stop playing that pulse on a bet), but the mood goes from proto-jam-band orgasm to stark ambience with drums of death. Had Terry Riley not nabbed the Phantom Band moniker for one of his records, Can could have stolen it here-- and Liebezeit did for one of his solo projects in the 1980s! Unlike virtually any other band on the planet, Can were able to straddle the line between primal and progressive, popular and avant-garde in a way that made both extremes seem like the best possible end for Western music.

The third occurs five-and-a-half minutes into "Quantum Physics", when Irmin Schmidt's Alpha 77 synth cluster chord suddenly becomes a fully-fledged major one. By this point in the song, the raging, percussive momentum of the previous track has almost completely evaporated into only the hint of a beat, as if the spirit of the piece had long since been shot out into space, left to dissolve into what popular physics author Nick Herbert once described as "quantumstuff"-- the one true matter of the universe, of which we and everything we see or feel is made. Schmidt lets his tones sustain, and I can hear the overtones forming, one by one, until the chord is more than just major. In fact, the physics of sound dictate that if you let a note ring long enough, you'll get the minor-7th harmonic, and eventually a 9th-- exactly the notes old Debussy liked to insert into chords to make them all pagan and erotic.

The last miracle occurs as the song is fading away from us entirely, when even Liebezeit's drums have dried up and the only discernable sound comes from Schmidt's endlessly spiraling synthesizer overtones. Mid-period Can is arguably the band's most interesting because it witnesses them having to explore more than just the backbeat of experimental rock, more than just the ambience of the space music they helped create. "Quantum Physics" is what happens when discipline and intelligence rams head on with divine inspiration. It is understated and refined, but glowing with life. It's not the kind of song you put on to start a party, but if you want to send a few of your best friends home like angels, you'll put it on at the end. It sounds like the music of the spheres to me.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:38
yeah I tried to hyperlink that last night.. I suppose that is why I got Captcha'd so hard.

so today I had to merely paraphraise the esseence of that wonderful piece of musical analysis..

bonus points of recognizing it...  now brother.. do you agree with it? This album, those pieces were not indeed the apex of Can musically.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 18:21
I just listened to Ege Bamyasi, and I really liked it! Some of it was very rhythmic and some just relaxing. I think it would be great for meditating which is right up my alley. So thank you all for your suggestions. Micky, I'll try to listen to those two you posted sometime later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks bud. 

Oh and the hurricane hasn't really gotten to where I live yet, but my brother is at Fort Bragg and they are getting hit hard. We told them they could come stay with us but he can't get away at the moment. So wishing them the best right now. Thanks everyone. 

Edit: Oh and Mortte, I'll have to check out that Gong album you suggested sometime. Seems like it might be good. :)

Edited by YESESIS - September 14 2018 at 18:23
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 20:56
Yeah 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 21:25

I just listened to Ege Bamyasi, and I really liked it! Some of it was very rhythmic and some just relaxing. I think it would be great for meditating which is right up my alley. So thank you all for your suggestions. Micky, I'll try to listen to those two you posted sometime later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks bud. 

Oh and the hurricane hasn't really gotten to where I live yet, but my brother is at Fort Bragg and they are getting hit hard. We told them they could come stay with us but he can't get away at the moment. So wishing them the best right now. Thanks everyone. 

Edit: Oh and Mortte, I'll have to check out that Gong album you suggested sometime. Seems like it might be good. :)

cool man...  definitely let me know what you think of those and keep safe down there.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 22:17

cool man...  definitely let me know what you think of those and keep safe down there.  
I believe you will love "You" and also many other Gong-albums! Great to hear you have loved Can, it´s very great band and listen also those Micky´s suggestions, I have also quite recently get into after Suzuki-albums (not yet listened at all Rite Time, going soon).

Hope you and your brother will get over that hurricane.

Edited by Mortte - September 14 2018 at 22:21
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 07:01
I wont choose they both inspire me in too different important ways:
Yes Is ultra melodic and ultimately so heartachingly hopefull and full of desire for more than life (simply huge but also warm and lovely)
Can otherwise produces rhythms I couldn´t even dream of and I just wanna Walk (proggers do no dancing... actually I love dancing) in the rhythm of a real 20th century paranoid man or simply freak out with Liebezeit

Just a too different feel overall

Can: Dark, Not empathetic, Rhythmic and Tribal
Yes: Brigth, Empathetic to the Core, Melodic and Symphonic

But I admit their connection might be:
Both rock!
I know that sounds cringy... nicht wahr!

Der Graf

Edit: Oh and I forgot Yes is otherworldlier than the pretty down to earth can.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - September 15 2018 at 07:03
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 20:08
Thanks Mortte, I think I'll be fine. It's my brother and his family that need your well wishes.

Oh man, I just listened to those two selections that Micky posted.. tribal.. rhythmic.. I'm starting to think maybe bands like Magma and Can are where it's at. *shakes head vigorously to try and snap out of it* No, it's about bands like Yes and Genesis.. and and Gentle Giant. Has to be. 

Oh and Mortte, I'll get to that Gong album hopefully tomorrow and let you know what I think of it. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 00:00
^No needs to thank. We in Finland have been long time lucky with the weather, but who knows how it will go these climate change days...

Great to hear your opinion about Gong!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 10:58

Oh man, I just listened to those two selections that Micky posted.. tribal.. rhythmic.. I'm starting to think maybe bands like Magma and Can are where it's at. *shakes head vigorously to try and snap out of it* No, it's about bands like Yes and Genesis.. and and Gentle Giant. Has to be. 

lol...  awesome..  yeah they are a kick in the ass aren't they...  

no it is not.  Those are gateway bands that sadly too many stop at and just masturbate over.  Digging deeper finds the truly inspiring (non English) stuff that makes prog so great...

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 17:08
Mortte, just listened to that Gong album(You). Certainly different, that much I can say for it. On the plus side might be good for meditating, though maybe a little too relaxing and trippy. I certainly won't be listening to it while driving. All in all not bad, thanks for the recommendation. 

Micky, what other non English prog stuff do you recommend man? Nothing evil though. I've determined that Magma isn't, and I don't think Can is. Amon Düül ll I'm not sure about though. Just nothing evil. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 21:40
Not Micky, but something in spanish, my favourites might be Triana's first two albums, from Spain "El Patio" and "Hijos del Agobio", with some very Flamenco sounds. A newer one, from Mexico, I have been enjoying Ekos, specially their last album "Otra Dimensión". Otherwise, one of my very favourites is "Hybris" from Anglagard (from Sweden)... though I couldn't say what they are singing about (I hope nothing evil). Now, I don't know how you would react to Triana's music, but if you like Flamenco that should help. Ekos is rather Pink Floyd sounding (they started as a Pink Floyd tribute band, or something of the sort), and Anglagard is more into the King Crimson sound (which might not be the best to convince you, I guess). Also, you should take a dive into the Rock Progressivo Italiano Scene for non english prog. How about Inferno, by Metamorphosi... now, don't dismiss it just for it's name, it is about Dante's La Divina Comedia, the Inferno chapter, of course. And I believe they were rather christian, or catholic, or something of the sort (by now they already finished the 3 albums to complete the Divina Comedia collection, though I believe Inferno is the strongest one by far). Still, I don't think you would want to meditate to that album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 00:22

Mortte, just listened to that Gong album(You). Certainly different, that much I can say for it. On the plus side might be good for meditating, though maybe a little too relaxing and trippy. I certainly won't be listening to it while driving. All in all not bad, thanks for the recommendation. 

Micky, what other non English prog stuff do you recommend man? Nothing evil though. I've determined that Magma isn't, and I don't think Can is. Amon Düül ll I'm not sure about though. Just nothing evil. 
Well, if you like it, I think you should listen also those two first parts of Radio Gnome-trilogy (You is the third part), Flying Teapot and Angel´s Egg. I think You is the most calm Gong-album, when knowing you´re meditating, I recommended it to you as a start. Those others are much more rhytmic.

About non-English (well they sing mostly in English, but are Finnish, really great band) not-evil music, I think you should listen Wigwam. You can start from the Hard N Horny, their first album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 02:11
I don´t believe also Amon Düül 2 has anything evil (who can take seriously band whose first album name is "God`s Penis" in latin?). If I remember right, the texts in the first album were old German poems. In next albums I think they´re mostly just abstract, unconscious made texts. Maybe they started to make texts little bit serious in "Carnival in Babylon" (at least "All the Years Round" sounds quite seriously made to my ears).

But of course thinking the members of Amon Düül 2 I believe they have lots of fights and members leave and come back all the time.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 16:01
Dellinger, thanks for the recommendations friend. Pink Floyd and KC aren't really my style though, or the Inferno deal lol no thank you. Some of the Spanish language ones might be good, or that Swedish deal. And yeah I'll try one of those from Italy at some point, they seem to be popular on here so eventually I'll give it a try. 

Mortte, thanks buddy. I've seen you mention this 'Wigwam' deal a few times now on here. I will have to try that album and see what I think of it.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 16:57
Liking Yes only is taking the easy way out. If ya can't dig both, you're not prog enough. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>