Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Masterpieces?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Which of these do you feel may be a bit overrated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [14.43%]
31 [31.96%]
12 [12.37%]
16 [16.49%]
24 [24.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 17:18
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

I don't think any of these is overrated, but DSOTM is my least favorite.

I agree !!!
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 20:56
I'd be definitely be voting 'None' if it was an option. These are all genre-defining moments to me, all brilliant albums in their own unique way, and I personally can't imagine my collection being complete without owning all of these, which I do ;)

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 21:02
Went with SEBTP, but was tempted to go with ITCOTCK. 
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 21:51
This one's easy: DSotM
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 00:58
In the Court easily 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 01:03
I voted for ITCOTCK. as I wrote elsewhere the album consists of a prog song, a pop song, a tearjerker, a song of which the first two minutes are a pop song and the rest an experimental jam session that hardly anyone likes (including many who gave this album a 5 star rating although the jam session takes up almost a fourth of the album) and another prog song. hardly enough to give the album its almost mystical status of being "the first prog album"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 05:23
Cant vote against any as overrated. I did suffer from some Dark Side burnout, but after avoiding it for a few years, when I came back to it, I was blown away all over again. I probably listen to Court the least as a whole album, but the highs are enough that I refuse to vote against it either.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 05:26
none
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 06:25
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I voted for ITCOTCK. as I wrote elsewhere the album consists of a prog song, a pop song, a tearjerker, a song of which the first two minutes are a pop song and the rest an experimental jam session that hardly anyone likes (including many who gave this album a 5 star rating although the jam session takes up almost a fourth of the album) and another prog song. hardly enough to give the album its almost mystical status of being "the first prog album"
I think all those songs represent different approaches to what would become progressive rock. Reducing Epitaph to "a tearjerker" - that's just ridiculous.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 06:39
I guess I would understand In The Court if I was born in that Time but I actually prefer the second one. And I think Frankyboy did prog far earlier on absolutely free yet I do understand that it set some important standards, but I think the others on the list actually set far more of them.

Edit: Although I have to admit that structure wise Selling England set some standards that led many retroprog bands into traps that make their songs (especially long tracks) very inconsistent in parts.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - September 15 2018 at 06:42
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:41
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I voted for ITCOTCK.  its almost mystical status of being "the first prog album"

how long is that completely false notion going to survive...  jesus...  

so yeah.. if that album is credited for being what any knowledgeable prog fan knows it is not true..  mark that bitch up and slap the dread overrated tag on it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 10:52
All very good albums, but I'll have to go with ItCotCK for similar reasons as mentioned above. It definitely does ride more on historical significance than the quality of the music. That being said the songs are great, but it's very clear that prog had a lot of progressing to do after the album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 23:43
I personally really canīt understand voting anything else than Yes and also in that I understand most of the progfans think itīs masterpiece. But really I donīt understand why Dark Side is leading and not also that disrespect against Court. And that "first progalbum" is made by 2000 progfans, when I started to listen prog in the eighties, no-one talked about it as first progalbum. To me itīs just masterpiece, greatest KC-album. But before that there has become Moodies Days, Procol Shine On, the Nice Ars Longa Vita, Iron Buttefly In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida, also Renaissances first came in the same month as Court and Colosseum Valentyne Suite just month later.

But on the other hand these "overrated" threads are just so useless, people have voted all of these great albums, although no-one is explaining why he thinks Selling England or Thick is overrated.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 12:22
I love every one of those albums except for DSOTM, which I like well enough but don't need to ever hear again, so it's the easy choice for me.  On the other hand, only TAAB and ITCOCK are full blown masterpieces in my view, so to some extent I also view CTTE and SEBTP as slightly overrated.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 08:52
Dark Side is very good. It's also very overrated.

All the others are perfection.

PERFECTION!!!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 09:06
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

In my opinion (and that's purely personal), I think all of them are overrated to some extent.
None of them would make my top 5 albums. SEBTP would make the top 10 and CTTE and DSOTM would make my top 50. TAAB would be in the top 100 and ITCOTCK wouldn't make the top 1000, despite its immense significance.
Funny. None of these are anywhere near my top ten - or fifty... or even hundred but I still don't consider them to be overrated.

Ditto (though I voted JTull--it is not in my Top 500--but that's a preference thing. I just think Side Two is plain "boring.")

I too feel that all five have flaws, some severe enough that I just can't rate them with a full five stars, BUT I agree with the significant role each has had in the legitimization of "prog": DSotM 250 consecutive weeks on Billboard's top selling albums list; the undeniable influence ItCotCK has had on other musicians; the length of time TaaB spent as the #1 Album on my Detroit radio stations; the threatric sensation Gabriel and Boys made while on their tours (I had friends/acquaintances that followed them from venue to venue on their pre-Lamb USA tours.)  

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 10:31
IMO none of them is overrated. ;p
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 11:16
I went with ITCOTCK. I love Schizoid man, Maybe my favorite KC song but I just can't get in to the rest of it. 
It's a significant album , don't get me wrong but I do feel it gets a little too much praise sometimes.  
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 15:56
SEBTP for me, never got all the love, I prefer 2 earlier Genesis albums and it doesn't make my top 500. All the others at least make the top 100.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 14:44
From the list I play TAAB and DSOTM the least....but I don't think any of them are 'overrated'.
All those have many votes from various types of prog fans so the mix of views are probably just right...imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>