Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Masterpieces?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Which of these do you feel may be a bit overrated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [14.43%]
31 [31.96%]
12 [12.37%]
16 [16.49%]
24 [24.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overrated Masterpieces?
    Posted: April 14 2020 at 09:06
Tull
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 07:24
Thick as a brick is a 4 star album, the rest are 5s
awaken_yesfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awaken_yesfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 07:15
I dont think it's all overrated, I love all mentioned albums and bands. 
But Dark Side isn't my favorite Floyd album. I rate higher Wish You Were Here and Animals . DSOTM is more radio-friendly mainstream rock than prog 

Edited by awaken_yesfan - November 07 2019 at 07:19
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 07:01
Dark Side is where I lost most interest in PF, good music, but was just more commercial than I liked my Floyd.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 06:53
I'm glad to see that ItCotCK is the least overrated. It's the trendsetter that all the others follow in one way or another. And it's just a great album!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 06:45
CTTE

One of the easier pollsApprove
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 03:07
It's quite easy, to me.

Close to the Edge wouldn't be overrated even if it had 4.90 average on Progarchives (absurd number); it should get all the praise in the world.

Although quite different - less calculated, but more spontaneous, invigorating, in-your-face positive - Thick as a Brick is a bona fide 5 star album as well and I'd be irked if it ever falls out of TOP5.

There were days I would poke my eye out to defend Selling England by the Pound as the greatest Genesis LP. Stellar 1-3 tracks and almost as good of a run between "Ordeal" and "Aisle" (6-8) did a great job of hiding cracks in the armor. In fact, I was so enthusiastic about majority of the album that I barely cared for "More Fool Me" poppiness. "The Battle of Epping Forest" has its moments, but I feel some melodic qualities were sacrificed for the story. When I hear this bit:

the battle of Epping Forest, yes the battle of Epping Forest right outside your door
you ain't seen nothing like it, no you ain't seen nothing like it, not since the civil war

I cringe a little.
So I think SEBTP should be granted universal acclaim and 5 star ratings in spades, BUT it falls a bit short of 'perfect' in my book. So there is a tiny "overrated factor" to it, but I don't mind at all.

Similar story with In the Court of the Crimson King. There was a time when "Epitaph" hit me like a Mack truck with each listen and "Moonchild" had no flaws. I was so into it - this twisted, dark fantasy/surrealistic world - that I managed to imagine a story to that overwrought musique concrete part. It was all about witch-queens of the swamps and holy mirrors, or whatever, but I liked it.
Nowadays I'm a bit more critical towards KC debut album, but damn - it was 1969 for God's sake, times when psychedelia seemed visionary just for the use of feedback, fuzzbox and backmasking... Nobody had done it better at the time! Most of ITCOTCK holds up very well today and truly is a box of wonders. It's a well deserved 5 star album... perhaps some folks out there "overrate" it a bit, but I couldn't care less.

And then we have The Dark Side of the Moon. It's always been a huge elephant in the room for me as I recognize it as an enjoyable, calm piece of music. Terrific production and soothing qualities are a given, but I don't see where this particular LP sounds like prog rock masterpiece. It's not only a matter of shape or form (no long suites, no complexities, no mellotron and quirky artworks). I think it deserves recognition for being "pretty", you can have dozens daydreaming session with Dark Side in the background, but it lacks life-changing melodies, spine-breaking dynamics or truly captivating emotional depth. I'm not going to face the infernos nor do I ascend Himalayan peaks to become celestial... I'm just okay, smiling on my couch and chilling.

TL;DR All in all, I don't see The Dark Side of the Moon as TOP10 album in prog rock realm, heck, it's not even the best in Pink Floyd's discography for me (Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals...). It's possible I'd give it 4 stars, if I were to review it. There goes my vote for the "most overrated".

Edited by thief - November 05 2019 at 03:12
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 01:12
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

^^^ So you think Close to the Edge is overrated??

Nope other way around. Was on mobile and couldn't get the numbers to reverse, lol. Overrated to least-overrated is my list. I despise Dark Side of The Moon with a passion. I use copies as coasters for my coffee.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - October 09 2019 at 01:13

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 12:56
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

If anything, Benefit is underrated. I love that damn album!
I don't think any of these are overrated... they're classics for a reason. My least favorite of the lot is the Genesis one. I only like two songs from it, but yeah, they're both really killer songs.

Totally agree....Benefit is killer imho.....I keep coming back to that lp over all of the other Tull lp's.

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 07:43
They're all rated highly for good reasons.
SEbtP has some stellar material but is too uneven, so it is my first choice for "overrated". CttE has a somewhat high showing off factor, so rank 2 in this competition. The second side of TAAB is significantly worse than the first (despite the whole album being great), so that's rank 3 then. Can't really decide between DSOTM and the Crimson King, I don't love 100% of them (I'd probably go for TAAB as my personal favourite out of these) but I highly respect even the material that on a personal level I don't love that much.  
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 01:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Foxtrot, Lamb Lies Down and Dark Side for me although I still like all three of them.

Foxtrot and the Lamb are not on here and that's funny because I heard both back to back last night😂😂😂
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 01:44
^^^ So you think Close to the Edge is overrated??
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 01:24
5. DTSOM.
4. Thick As A Brick
3. Selling England By The Pound
2. ITCOTCK
1. CTTE

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 00:45
My normal knee-jerk reaction would be to vote for DSOTM although actually there isn't anything I hate on it. I used to dislike Great Gig In The Sky but not so much now having seen it performed live so many times.

So it's got to be Selling England By The Pound. Everything during the Gabriel era is overrated bar Foxtrot which for me is the only one that stands up to close scrutiny. I do genuinely dislike (maybe even hate) Battle Of Epping Forest. Stupid voices and not enough musical content. Admittedly there is the holy trinity of Knight, Fifth and Show and I can't touch those. yes 5 star masterpieces they are. Aisle Of Plenty is just an addon to Cinema Show but is beautiful so okay fine for that. More Fool Me I actually like but it just doesn't fit. I Know What I Like is okay but hardly an amazing track. After The Ordeal is very nice and fits perfectly. So it mainly comes down to 3 tracks that rule this out as being one of the greatest masterpieces even if much of it is sublime. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 17:56
Selling Ergot By The Penny. 20% of the album is such drivel (Battle of Epping) that I just took a nail to it so the record would skip. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 17:47
Foxtrot, Lamb Lies Down and Dark Side for me although I still like all three of them.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:08
It's hard to overrate any of these. They are masterpieces in their own right.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:05
My vote goes to Thick As A Brick which I actually find quite boring. But tbh. I am not a big fan of In The Court... either - not a bad album, but I tend to find it a bit one-dimensional on an emotional level. I am much more keen on later Crimson albums.

There is no way I would rate Dark Side as overrated. It is one of the most accomplised pieces of music in the 20th century.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 13:39
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

none of these are over rated ..... they are all fine examples of what Prog can and should be all about

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 12:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I already commented but commenting again and my opinion still stands. In the Court of the Crimson King is the most overrated prog album of all time in my opinion. Fight me

Won't fight you because I agree. The two tracks I like on the album are "21st Century Schizoid Man" and the title track. The other three songs are so mellow, repetitive, and overly long that I lose interest fast. I would rate it three stars at most.

We have similar ears? Haha. I rate it 3 stars myself
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>