Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Masterpieces?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Which of these do you feel may be a bit overrated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [14.43%]
31 [31.96%]
12 [12.37%]
16 [16.49%]
24 [24.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 08:46
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I am repeating myself, but Thick really doesn´t drag me at all, not although I heard it first time already in the eighties, still always when I listened it, it´s full pleasure to me from the beginning to end. Ian´s egotrip or not, it´s anyway masterpiece and the best Tull-album, there is nothing bland as there is in that Yes-albums first side of the same year. To me it seems somebodies who says opinions about it have listened it last time 1972, it really doesn´t repeat it themes, there are just lots great, sad melodic themes that many progbands (specially the most of new bands) should learn about.

I think I am not going to waste my time in this place a lot anymore that seems to become sh*tethrowing club of masterpieces.

Ian's ego trip, hard to think of a poorer argument. He was the better songwriter, had a vision of what the band should be, took total creative control and put the blues influences aside..nothing new under the sun. But it looks like some folks has not digested it yet...after 48 years!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 15:13
Yes.....he discarded the 'blues influences'...which is why he did 2 'prog albums' with side long tracks and then returned to  'blues influenced rock'  for the next 40 years...eventually rewriting the same songs from those blues rock albums but not as well.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 19:58
If anything, Benefit is underrated. I love that damn album!
I don't think any of these are overrated... they're classics for a reason. My least favorite of the lot is the Genesis one. I only like two songs from it, but yeah, they're both really killer songs.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 04:21
I already commented but commenting again and my opinion still stands. In the Court of the Crimson King is the most overrated prog album of all time in my opinion. Fight me
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 04:30
I can't vote for any of those "overrated" album choices  because I love all five albums. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 07 2019 at 05:21
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 05:00
None are really overrated IMO, and I don't really like that term.

My least personal fave is Thick as a Brick, I guess.

DSOTM is an obvious masterpiece. Nothing like that had ever been recorded. The same goes for ITCOTCK.

The track CTTE is a masterpiece in its own right, although there are better Yes albums overall.

I can see why SEBTP is so highly rated, but personally I think Foxtrot, The Lamb and Trick all better qualify as masterpieces. I'll be lynched for that, no doubt
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 06:03
While it's undoubtedly a great album, Court is the easy choice for me as it's not as consistent as the others and not even my favorite Crimson.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 06:42
none of these are over rated ..... they are all fine examples of what Prog can and should be all about
Prog On!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:54
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I already commented but commenting again and my opinion still stands. In the Court of the Crimson King is the most overrated prog album of all time in my opinion. Fight me

Won't fight you because I agree. The two tracks I like on the album are "21st Century Schizoid Man" and the title track. The other three songs are so mellow, repetitive, and overly long that I lose interest fast. I would rate it three stars at most.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - October 07 2019 at 07:56
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:25
How can a masterpiece be overrated? That's an oxymoron. They are all 5 star classics. Sure we can get sick of certain albums due to overexposure but that doesn't mean it's overrated nor anything less than a masterpiece.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:27
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

How can a masterpiece be overrated? That's an oxymoron. They are all 5 star classics. Sure we can get sick of certain albums due to overexposure but that doesn't mean it's overrated nor anything less than a masterpiece.

Totally agree! Thumbs Up
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:31
Beer none

In most cases not my favorite album from the artist - but in any case brilliant albums.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

How can a masterpiece be overrated? That's an oxymoron.

my exact thought when I read the thread title. Big smileLOL
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 11:51
None of these are overrated.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 12:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Won't fight you because I agree. The two tracks I like on the album are "21st Century Schizoid Man" and the title track. The other three songs are so mellow, repetitive, and overly long that I lose interest fast. I would rate it three stars at most.

We have similar ears? Haha. I rate it 3 stars myself
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 13:39
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

none of these are over rated ..... they are all fine examples of what Prog can and should be all about

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:05
My vote goes to Thick As A Brick which I actually find quite boring. But tbh. I am not a big fan of In The Court... either - not a bad album, but I tend to find it a bit one-dimensional on an emotional level. I am much more keen on later Crimson albums.

There is no way I would rate Dark Side as overrated. It is one of the most accomplised pieces of music in the 20th century.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 14:08
It's hard to overrate any of these. They are masterpieces in their own right.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 17:47
Foxtrot, Lamb Lies Down and Dark Side for me although I still like all three of them.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 17:56
Selling Ergot By The Penny. 20% of the album is such drivel (Battle of Epping) that I just took a nail to it so the record would skip. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>