Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Early Camel Studio Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of the first 5 Camel studio albums is your personal favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.04%]
24 [33.80%]
13 [18.31%]
25 [35.21%]
4 [5.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 02:43
[QUOTE=Hercules] I'm just about to set off for London to see Camel play Moonmadness in full at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday, and I get to meet the band before the gig.

Very jealous that you get to meet the band! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the concert as much as I did when I saw them in Newcastle last weekend. They were excellent!
Songs cast a light on you
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 03:00
^ The band is now restricting the meet+greet session down to a VIP selected  (paying !)  -
apparentely due to excesses from past occasions wich carried even physical consequences (sic)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 08:54
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

^ The band is now restricting the meet+greet session down to a VIP selected  (paying !)  -
apparentely due to excesses from past occasions wich carried even physical consequences (sic)

Yep. No shaking hands with Andy, as soon wassock tried to crush his hand and almost cancelled the gig a few years ago.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 09:58
Mirage is my favourite but I'll give some love to Rain Dances. Unevensong was definitely the highlight of the concert for me.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 03:36
This is a difficult one. Although I haven't heard the first album, I like all the rest but I will go for the Snow Goose as it's the most consistently good. Incidentally it would have been good if Breathless had been included in the poll. Not that I would expect it to win, but for completion because it would then include all the Peter Bardens era albums. Personally I don't think Camel were ever as good after he left.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 03:58
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

This is a difficult one. Although I haven't heard the first album, I like all the rest but I will go for the Snow Goose as it's the most consistently good. Incidentally it would have been good if Breathless had been included in the poll. Not that I would expect it to win, but for completion because it would then include all the Peter Bardens era albums. Personally I don't think Camel were ever as good after he left.

you haven't listened to their debut?! it's one of their best and if you say you like Bardens, go listen to it, you won't regret it :)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 05:38
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Yep. No shaking hands with Andy, as soon wassock tried to crush his hand and almost cancelled the gig a few years ago.

Their website says that this was due to Andy's problems with arthritis.
I enjoyed the concert yesterday big time. Moonmadness, I'd say, is their most consistent album apart from Snow Goose, it has some truly magical melodies and enough complexity to make it quite interesting, although Camel was always more about the melodies and the guitar than about mind-boggling compositions. They played quite a bit of later material which worked very well but the earlier stuff is still their peak (plus Ice).
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 08:30
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

For me, The Snow Goose is the greatest album of all time in any genre. Moonmadness is very close behind. Mirage is brilliant and the other two are also excellent.

I'm just about to set off for London to see Camel play Moonmadness in full at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday, and I get to meet the band before the gig. I am not displeased about this!

They say meeting your heroes is always a let down, but I suspect that won't be true here.
Have a great night, Hercules! I think Lewian of this forum will be there too. Should be a special night!

It was. Several standing ovations, despite them playing nothing off the debut, The Snow Goose and only Lady Fantasy off Mirage. 4 tracks off Dust and Dreams, an album I didn't used to rate that highly, but live it is sensational.

What a night!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 09:29
cool!  Moonmadness is my favourite Camel album.  Would have loved to see it live
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 11:25
Really pleased you had a great night. I was also impressed with the later album tracks live as well, when Andy and the band played them in Newcastle. Playing a lot of Camel and Tiger Moth Tales (Pete Jones) as a result of the concert buzz I got that night.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 14:49
Moonmadness though Mirage is a close second...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 17:24
It's Moonmadness. Just wonderful stuff, but Mirage offers a more trademark sound.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 18:34

4 tracks off Dust and Dreams, an album I didn't used to rate that highly, but live it is sensational.

What a night!

Same here, haven't listened to that album that much and will revisit it now.
Colin on bass blew me away... for me he was always a bit in the shadow of Richard Sinclair and Doug Ferguson but this night taught me how great a bassist he really is.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 00:29
Impossible. I put Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness on the same level.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 01:57
I've got a sweet spot for the debut as it is more energetic

Distant second is Mirage, distant third is Moonmadness (never cared much for Snowgoose)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 09:04
Slightly off topic, listening to Dust and Dreams again after the concert on Monday... well, they picked the right songs. Those they played are great indeed but quite a bit better than the rest of the album. Also they showed a very good hand choosing highlights from "I Can See Your House From Here" and "Harbour of Tears". 
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 09:10
Moonmadness gets my vote 

surprised it has this much of a lead

all of these albums are excellent
Prog On!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 09:12
Did they pick the vocal tracks from the first part of the album?  Those, combined with nearby instrumentals, represent the best part of the album for me.  "Rose of Sharon" is absolutely beautiful

Edited by kenethlevine - September 19 2018 at 09:12
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 10:40
Their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums are genius. Everything else: not genius.

Mirage for me!!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 15:00
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Did they pick the vocal tracks from the first part of the album?  Those, combined with nearby instrumentals, represent the best part of the album for me.  "Rose of Sharon" is absolutely beautiful

I shouldn't have written this because someone might ask... Embarrassed Going through the album twice several things feel so familiar again that I think they may well have played that (very weak memory). They surely played End of the Line and Hopeless Anger and one or two more, probably Mother Road and/or Cotton Camp. Yeah I know that's a weak response.  Anyway there are quite a few on the album that don't excite me and they played none of these.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>