Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Saucerful Of Secrets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Saucerful Of Secrets
    Posted: September 24 2018 at 00:19
Howīs this second Floyd-album?

Itīs my second Floyd-favourite at the moment, even slightly better than the great Piper. Maybe the reason is that it goes IMO little deeper into mystic, great psychedelia when specially the second side of Piper includes more pop, but anyway great Barrett-songs. I think itīs quite amazing when they put almost all the material they got those days (hard to understand Remember a Day is outtake from the Piper, well I think it fits better to Saucerful than Piper) and it become so great! Always really loved the cover, itīs my favourite Floyd-cover.

This was the last Floydīs sixties/seventies album I heard in the eighties, borrowed it from the library and recorded to the cassette. Anyway it was before their comeback. It was also the last Floyd 60/70ties vinyl I bought in the eighties, it was really hard to find then from Finland, finally found new Fame-pressing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 06:11
Most of this album is transcendental. Corporal Clegg is a bit silly but the rest is profound. Never gets tired.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 13:01
I actually like this one more than the first....Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother were the  one's I really listened to when I started college in 'Fall69/Spring70 (when many of us first discovered those weird mind altering things).......went back and then listened to the first two later.  
Better album art also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 14:09
Also a favorite - only Meddle is closer to my heart. Corporal Clegg is kind of fun but ruins the mood a little and I think I would would have liked it more as on of their many non-album tracks. They recorded the studio version of Embryo the same year - now that would have been a perfect end to side A. Love Jugband Blues though. 
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 14:42
This and Relics were the next albums I got after Dark Side Of The Moon.
How could I possibly resist that cover? Rick Wright's songwriting wasn't quite there on See Saw.
But it had a great opening. Many other bands would have folded after getting shut of Christ songwriter and singer.
Clearly Pink Floyd were made of stronger stuff!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 15:42
I quite like it, the title track is my favorite Floyd track. 

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 15:48
Pink Floyd goes avant garde and spacy yeah
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 16:13
It's surely one of my very favourite Floyd albums (and I love all Floyd albums through to The Wall) and has some of my favourite Floyd tracks. I adore "A Saucerful of Secrets" and really love "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", and really like "Let There Be More Light", "Remember a Day" and "See-Saw". If "Embryo" were on it, then methinks it would be my favourite Pink Floyd album (even over Atom Heart Mother, though that title-track is so awesome to me).

Suffice to say, it's a great album, and I wouldn't remove any songs off it. Would be better still if it had some more in my opinion (or even some More -- a generally underrated album per my tastes).
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 21:00
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun alone makes this one worth the price of admission.
Maruder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 02:01
 In the Barrett era Floyds recorded most inspired and exciting albums like that. After few years I rate Saucerful bit higher of Piper.

That was first cd of Barrett era what I listened, Highlights is Set the Control and title track.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 06:46
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Also a favorite - only Meddle is closer to my heart. Corporal Clegg is kind of fun but ruins the mood a little and I think I would would have liked it more as on of their many non-album tracks. They recorded the studio version of Embryo the same year - now that would have been a perfect end to side A. Love Jugband Blues though. 
I really love also Corporal Clegg and really donīt want to change it to Embryo, although naturally love it too! Kazoo is not really my favourite instrument, but fits in that mad piece so wonderfully! Also love that ending chaotic part, that reminds me carnival, also brings me same feelings as that great cover! If I have to say weakest song, I think itīs See-Saw, although really not bad song, but looses a lot for great other Wright-piece Remember a Day.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 07:09
^its not of any real importance just a thought - fifty years later. I own all these songs in different formats anyway. So if I want to i can create my own Saucerful... But I'm not gonna kid myself either: to my ears it feels a whole lot more "whole" with the replacement I suggest. I know the band was fighting the record-company as to which songs that would make it to the album or not anyway - so its not like the final product was a result of "pure artistic need". 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 08:42
Tangential note, but I've often seen comments such as I only listen to whole albums because that's how the artist intended it to be when in fact the final tracklists have all too often been the result of pressure/ meddling by the record companies and not what the artists wanted. I have enjoyed coming up with my own compilations.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 08:51
I feel this album also is a major influence on the more space influenced stoner rock and doom metal acts. Spessialy Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun bass line is very stoner.

Edited by Icarium - September 25 2018 at 08:52
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 21:12
I think it's a bit patchy, just as the first one... or at least there's some brilliant stuff and some stuff I don't really relate to. However, I do love the first 3 songs, though Set the Controls is so much better in it's live version... as is the title track. I always had a hard time with Jugband Blues, though I wanted to like it because of it's lyrics... however, the live version from the BBC just fixed it enough for me to enjoy it. And yeah, Remember a Day is just a really beautiful song.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 06:25
Somewhat similar to Piper, there are a number of really iconic tracks here that I treasure as major influences for my musical taste, that's Let There Be More Light, Saucerful and Set the Controls. Remember a Day also is really wonderful, but the other ones don't really speak to me, although they all have fun bits in them. Overall I'd rate it about the same as Piper but Piper came first so has the innovation factor on its side.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 21:22
^ My favourite tracks from the album too, only that I much prefer the Ummagumma versions of Saucerful and Set the Controls.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 15:54
That's the first LP I bought (in 1968). Still love it
 Post Reply Post Reply