2 [7.69%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Random Favourite 80s Films
    Posted: September 27 2018 at 16:36
Body horror, artsy films, dark comedies, anime, action movies, coming of age movies, etc. A very eclectic list. Pick your favourite one.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 16:42
I'm ashamed to say the only film I remember from the 1980's is Dark CrystalWink

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 17:24
Love The Dark Crystal (they are coming up with a Netflix series called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance).

Anyway, I wish this were a multiple choice poll as there is so much that I really like there (the vast majority). Several of these have been "all-time" favourites. I'd like to vote for almost all of them as this is so in-line with my tastes (despite being eclectic).

Okay, I'll give Paris, Texas a vote, but I could just as easily vote for many others.

Edited by Logan - September 27 2018 at 17:28
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 19:40
I'll go with Fanny And Alexander on this one
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 23:49
Blade Runner gets my vote out of these.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 00:24
Lots of good ones, but I have to vote for Blade Runner. This list a lot more to my liking than the 90s list.

Edited by Vompatti - September 28 2018 at 00:25
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 15:10
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I'm ashamed to say the only film I remember from the 1980's is Dark CrystalWink

Hey, it's a classic!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 15:34
That is a phenomenal list. I love most of those films. Since it currently has ZERO votes, I will grant one to Altered States

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 16:35
From this list the brilliant "Zelig". But where are movies like "The Fourth Man" by Paul Verhoeven (his best movie), "Blue Velvet" by David Lynch or "De Wisselwachter" (English title "The Pointsman") by Jos Stelling, which are most definitely among the best movies of the 80s?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 07:41
Hi,

Nicolas Roeg:

BAD TIMING is a fabulous film, with great music and it has Art Garfunkel and Harvey Keitel. It's interesting to see Art grumbling about, and then after the film say that acting is not for him ... he did really well in there, but I think he did not want to pay attention to anything else ... he fit the part perfectly.

CASTAWAY, with Oliver Reed and Amanda Donohoe is an excellent film, and beautifully shot. Sadly it was not enjoyed as much, and Lucy Irvine's fine novel got dumped ... it was really fine, and hearing Oliver sneak up on Amanda and say ... "isn't it better than sex?" ... is ... yeah!

TRACK 29 is a nice little film, but it has its crazy side. But the whole train set will just about floor you and specially when ... at the end.

EUREKA and INSIGNIFICANCE, are unusual and more for film director fans, than they are super attractive film, though the INSIGNIFICANCE got a lot of attention because it might have been about one of our favorite movie stars ever.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 07:56
oh easy vote for the amazing Once Upon A Time in America... in my personal top 10 alltime favorite movies
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 10:36
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

I'll go with Fanny And Alexander on this one

Me as well, Hernan.  That film is so beautiful-looking I had to get the Criterion release that features the entire 5-hour intended release.  It's like a mini-series.  Transports you directly into the home of this family at Christmas, a century ago
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 10:48
I'm more of a fan of the 1930s-70s, but I love "The Elephant Man" but if I had to pick one it would be "Paris, Texas"

Edited by MortSahlFan - October 13 2018 at 10:49
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 11:16
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

if I had to pick one it would be "Paris, Texas"

indeed. I was very tempted to pick that one. Was number 2 ( or number 3 in the non Blade Runner cinematic universe haha) of my choices from the list.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 14:40
From the list, Big.  Not on the list, Labyrinth...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 03:05
From the list, Blade Runner.

Not from the list...Withnail & I, maybe The Shining.

Edited by Blacksword - January 09 2019 at 03:06
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 13:49
They Live, out of the list. Other ones -outside the list- that immediately have come to my mind are: The Lost Boys, Dirty Little Scoundrels, BTTF series, and The Last Starfighter.

BTW, Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life (1983) is hilarious, yet I stumbled upon "The Meaning of Life"first, with its PC game around the time it was out. It was hell of a unique experience. Too bad that I couldn't make it work with Windows 10 and 7.

Edited by Odvin Draoi - February 21 2019 at 13:51
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 14:11
Blade Runner 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 14:22
Cool to see this poll bumped. There's only one that I haven't seen on the list, and that's Man Facing Southeast (Argentina). I don't know how I missed looking it up before, but the description looks right up my alley.

Not suggesting it for this poll, as I would hope would be obvious, as it's from the wrong decade, but a favourite fairly little-known Spanish-language sci-fi film of mine is "Los cronocrímenes" (2007) ("Timecrimes) and on the sci-fi side, Abre los ojos ("Open Your Eyes") (1997), which I think the OP has seen.

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

From this list the brilliant "Zelig". But where are movies like "The Fourth Man" by Paul Verhoeven (his best movie), "Blue Velvet" by David Lynch or "De Wisselwachter" (English title "The Pointsman") by Jos Stelling, which are most definitely among the best movies of the 80s?

Not everyone will have seen or like all of those films. Considering that there are only 25 options available, I think it's a fine list which should appeal to most every taste (it is very eclectic). I'm sure that everyone's list based on what they know, love, and remember would be different (not sure if this list is completely based on Morningside's favourites, or partially researched).   Morningside's list has more than enough movies that I love for me to be one happy camper (found it tough to choose and could have quite happily voted for about 17 of these options even though I went for Paris, Texas). He did say random, not best, though I think the quality indicates a level of non-randomness. ;)

Edited by Logan - February 21 2019 at 14:42
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 14:41
Ha. Nice to see this one getting prime time once again.i might do a 2nd part for the 80s

Logan, you should definitely see Man Facing Southeast. And if you like that one, El Lado Oscuro del Corazón and Ultimas Imagenes del Naufragio, from the same director (Eliseo Subiela), are also worth checking out.

On the other hand, I did see Abre Los Ojos (and also Vanilla Sky), but my favourite Amenabar movie would be "Tesis".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>