Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ELP: Trilogy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELP: Trilogy
    Posted: October 02 2018 at 06:22
Time to pull out ELP's big gun for discussion! Trilogy!

Edited by SteveG - October 02 2018 at 06:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 06:42
I used to love it mostly, especially for The Endless Enigma (which reminds me of Planet of the Apes in part) and the title track, and I like From the Beginning still (they can do subtle and create nice atmospheres), but now I find it more challenging and abrasive on the whole to my ears than before. It just seems too over-the-top. Had they toned it down a bit, and gone for less flash, then I would like it more, but then ELP is not known as the most subtle, tasteful and understated or restrained of bands (very showy).

ELP's debut is the one that I can still enjoy most easily.

I am going to try to replay Trilogy again soon, as it has been quite some years since I listened to it in whole, but the last time I could not get through it as I found it too frenetic and showy at times. That said, I still think that it's a good album and I look at ELP as the quintessential prog band.

Edited by Logan - October 02 2018 at 06:47
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 17:56
over many years, my view of my favourite ELP album has drifted across most of their albums. The debut album, Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery have all taken it in turns to be worn out on my old vinyl player. However, I always find that Trilogy, whilst still not perfect by any means, is the one I consider my favourite. The Endless Enigma/Fugue, Trilogy, Hoedown, From the Beginning etc. represent the band at their best and most well developed.

Individual tracks and suites from other albums might top some of these tracks individually, but as a whole the album works very well still.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

but now I find it more challenging and abrasive on the whole to my ears than before. It just seems too over-the-top.

that really suprised me.. though obviously music is if nothing..  purely individual.

I regard this as their best album, for lacking the lows of the other albums, yet it does not the have the highs of the other albums.

if there ever was a consistent restrained ELP album...  I always considered it to be this one. 

Best album? No doubt

Favorite album?  you have to be kidding me.   I love ELP for those highs, highter IMO than anyone of the big 6 outside of Yes, and those lows lower than anyone outside of Genesis hahah.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:16
For me the issue with Tril is the mix, production, and engineering.   The levels are all over the place and often don't match in tone and acoustics.   Not an uncommon problem in the 70s [e.g. Houses of the Holy], but it hurt the material (which I'm also not in love with but would've come off better).   Presentation is everything.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:23
yeah....  being an RPI fan removed any pretext of caring about mix, production and engineering...  it was the 70's man. Not the 80's.   Energy and passion and kicking ass...trumped a good clean sounding production.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:26
Agreed but you get that energy in Tark and Brainsalad too but with careful production.

Now, the Italians new how to do a rough-cut right, Ys, Palepoli, etc.

Edited by Atavachron - October 02 2018 at 18:27
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:33
Well it is my avi, has been for a while. From the Beginning, Hoedown, The Sheriff. Plus like the title track, Aladdin's Bolero etc. It's solidly their second best album imo. Not better than BSS. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:33
amen brother.....   I really never noticed anything sound wise wrong with Trilogy. I'll make that my work album tomorrow.. really f**k with my.. umm.. urbanite helper haha... but I'll listening close to what you mentioned David. 

Perhaps I never managed to remain awake long enough listening ot this album to notice it hahah.  It simply isn't a very exciting album .. and that is the problem I have about it.  To be perfectly blunt, my favorite part of the album was the album cover.

Honestly.. only Carl Palmer tops SWilson for having the best hair in prog.   God he looks so cute in those pictures...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:35
Ravishing man.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 18:38
ClapHeartBeer
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 21:59
From the Beginning is my favourite pop like song from the band. And the song Trilogy is perhaps the most frustrating one for me, since I really love parts 1 and 2... but part 3 really ends up ruinning it.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 12:43
Solid album....'Endless Enigma' is one of my favorite things by ELP and I would play this for friends before BSS....right after the debut of course.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 15:21
"From The Beginning." "Hoedown." "Trilogy." This album should be in every prog lover's collection (with the rest of ELP's '70s catalogue).
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 07:38
Love it. Every note. ELP was perfect all the way through BBS.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

but now I find it more challenging and abrasive on the whole to my ears than before. It just seems too over-the-top.

that really suprised me.. though obviously music is if nothing..  purely individual.

I regard this as their best album, for lacking the lows of the other albums, yet it does not the have the highs of the other albums.

if there ever was a consistent restrained ELP album...  I always considered it to be this one. 

Best album? No doubt

Favorite album?  you have to be kidding me.   I love ELP for those highs, highter IMO than anyone of the big 6 outside of Yes, and those lows lower than anyone outside of Genesis hahah.  

I said now, and sort of clarified that later in my post, but it has been some time since I last listened to in in whole, and the experience really does depend upon one's mood at the time and whatever it is that one is particularly into at any given time. When I last tried listening to in whole, I was mostly listening to fairly loungy library music such as Sven Libaek and Stringtronic, as well as quite subtle and simple folk music. I had a similar experience with Le Orme, which I had loved, but I'm sure that I would enjoy listening to Le Orme today. I could not get into Tarkus or Brain Salad Surgery even when I was very big on Trilogy, which reminds me of how when I was in love with Yes' Fragile and was introduced to Close to the Edge, I could not get into Close to the Edge (and never really have been able to outside of the title track).

Edited by Logan - October 04 2018 at 08:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 00:33
My only issue with the album is that it doesn't really have a natural flow. It feels like parts of several different albums colliding. That said I don't dislike any track off it (Micky might give a me a pass this time LOL) . ELP were doing the scattergun thing in terms of not having any direction but WOW there are some amazing tracks. Even Living Sin which could be argued as being 'filler' has some truly startlingly brilliant playing that is off the scale. I love Abaddons Bolero and everyone knows that I love Vangelis! Perhaps its ELP's 'compilation of odd ideas' album?!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 18:13
This was my first ELP LP,
A favorite to this day, but as an album I agree it feels a bit disjointed. Not really a problem for me cuz I like variety.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 05:52
Second only to debut,decent album though brought it before the debut
 Post Reply Post Reply