Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three Friends vs Wind and Wuthering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
53 [56.99%]
35 [37.63%]
5 [5.38%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three Friends vs Wind and Wuthering
    Posted: October 03 2018 at 16:12
Both are albums that took me a while to get into but I think both are great and among my favorites by each band. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 16:46
I love most of W&W, but all of Three Friends so it get's my vote. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 16:51
Three Friends is one of my least favorite GG albums, and since I saw Genesis just prior to W&W being released, I'll go with Genesis for sentimental reasons.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 17:03
Three Friends
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 17:56
No contest: W&W.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 18:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

No contest: W&W.

This---like all of W&W except Own special way ---but I replaced it with Inside and Out---on a play list--Tongue
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 18:35
Interesting, these are two album I never would have thought to put up against each other. I voted for Three Friends because, mostly the second half, is just really kick butt. W&W is a darn good Genesis album though. I think both tend to be underrated in their respective band's discographies. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 18:56
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Interesting, these are two album I never would have thought to put up against each other. I voted for Three Friends because, mostly the second half, is just really kick butt. W&W is a darn good Genesis album though. I think both tend to be underrated in their respective band's discographies. 
You took the words right out of my mouth.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 18:59
Three Friends, no contest at all. Not a lot of tracks in Wind and Wuthering really stand out to me, to be honest. I like that they were still going for that prog sound, but the compositions aren't anywhere as well put together as their earlier albums. Blood On The Rooftops is pretty great though.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 19:13
Musically, Three Friends is spectacular but the theme of the album falls apart pretty quickly. W&W has no unifying theme yet each song holds up beautifully and the entire album works well as a whole. W&W has my vote.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 21:18
One for the Vine --Blood on the Rooftops ---Unquiet slumbers for the sleepers--In that quiet earth- afterglow-all first rate---11th earl of mar and All in a mouses night are cool too--and it does all come together as a cohesive album---Tony says its his fav ---but he also said that about Duke Big smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 21:46
One for the Vine is enough for me to vote for Genesis.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 22:41
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

They both seem a bit on the dense(for lack of a better term) side to me which is why I put them up against each other. Neither seem as accessible as others in their catalog(for GG octopus would be the one more accessible and for Genesis it would be ATOTT). So yeah, I can see how some would think it's an odd pairing but considering my personal history with both it makes sense(at least to me). 

Anyway, I voted for W&W. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 03 2018 at 22:43
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 23:51
Wind and Wuthering - too many musical highlights to ignore. It has a surprisingly coherent feel to it - very atmospheric and autumnal - from the first notes to the final fade out. Great memories from that time. The odd misfire doesn't lessen it, in my view - although now knowing it was Steve Hackett's last studio album, it lends the album a melancholic, end of an era, feel - emphasised so well when Steve played much of it on his previous tour.

I quite like Three Friends. It has grown on my steadily of late. A nice idea to pitch these two under-appreciated albums together in a poll it'll be interesting to see the final voting scores.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 02:09
Both equally
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 02:11
love'em both :)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 02:49
To me Prologue/Schooldays represents the best qualities of early Gentle Giant. So rich on atmosphere, room or space and a kind of loose playfulness... I don't know exactly - but it seemingly left the band along with Phil Shulman. To me Phil represents the gentle part of the giant and I miss his presence whenever I try to relisten to those later albums (which are still really good). I do like Wind and Wuthering as well and more the last couple of months than ever, but not in the same way. 
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 02:59
What can be better than schooldays, saperlipopette !?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 03:35
Wind & Wuthering.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 04:14
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Wind and Wuthering - too many musical highlights to ignore. It has a surprisingly coherent feel to it - very atmospheric and autumnal - from the first notes to the final fade out. Great memories from that time. The odd misfire doesn't lessen it, in my view - although now knowing it was Steve Hackett's last studio album, it lends the album a melancholic, end of an era, feel - emphasised so well when Steve played much of it on his previous tour.

I quite like Three Friends. It has grown on my steadily of late. A nice idea to pitch these two under-appreciated albums together in a poll it'll be interesting to see the final voting scores.

Well put. I like both, but I have to give the edge to Genesis. I have listened to Wind and Wuthering far more. I have heard Three Friends for the first time only a few years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>