Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

prog music in movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAISTEJAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prog music in movies
    Posted: October 06 2018 at 17:29
   I have a mel Gibson dvd called payback which the main theme is in 7/4 time and just watched a sly
stallone movie called nighthawks which was scored by keith emerson, both of which are crime/ action
movies. any other similar ones out there?
MSTEELE
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 18:57
There are quite a few in fact. 

Peter Gabriel "Last Temptation of Christ" and "Birdy"
Art Zoyd did several soundtracks including one for an old silent movie "Nosferatu" where they composed the music many years after it was released.
Ulver has done a few also.
The Residents "Hunters" "The Census Taker" and "Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats"
Vangelis - "Chariots of Fire", "Blade Runner" and many many others
Pink Floyd "Zabriskie Point", "More" "Obscured By Clouds"
Archive "Michel Vaillant"

That's just a few off the top of my head.  There are many others.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 20:29
Most Goblin music are soundtracks. Anthony Phillps has also written music for film and TV. I remember hearing Jethro Tull in a few movies, but I cannot remember the names.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 20:54
Rick Wakeman's Myths and Legends of King Arthur should be used as a sountrack for a movie of... well, King Arthur. Or music adapted from that album to fit better the movie format.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 21:33
The movie "Buffalo 66" from the late 90's featured songs by both Yes and King Crimson. 

Of course there's soundtrack music by Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Vangelis, Goblin and even Jon Anderson did some soundtrack work back in the eighties. Not sure who else off the top of my head. 
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 21:43
Rick Wakeman's Phantom of the Opera and Liztomania. Vangelis' Charriots of Firen and Blade Runner (original). Keith Emerson's Inferno.
Long live Progresive music!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 22:01
Aguirre by Popol Vuh contains music from the movie Aguirre.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 03:17
Tubular Bells and The Exorcist is a pretty big one.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:16
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Aguirre by Popol Vuh contains music from the movie Aguirre.

Popol Vuh actually did more than one soundtrack for Werner Herzog
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:23
Does Patrick Moraz music on The Stepfather or Predator count?
thesameoldfears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesameoldfears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:33
The Court of the Crimson King was used in the movie Children of Men
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:34
Hi,

CAN in Jerzy Skolimowsky's Deep End. They are not seen, however, only heard at a club playing live.

VARIOUS FOLKS in Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World.

SORCERER in bill Friedkin's film. It was redone in Australia with TD doing a LIVE concert with the film. There is a CD of it, but no DVD. 

Some others ...

Ryuichi Sakamoto has done many soundtracks and even has an Oscar for one of them. Most of the films he has been a part of are of the "art" variety and not Hollywood crap. He has done music for Nagisa Oshima, Bernardo Bertolucci, Pedro Almodovar, John Maybury, Brian de Palma and many others. None of these directors would be considered mainstream and top ten, which means that it is possible that many folks have not heard any of it or seen the films, to consider Ryuichi's style "progressive". Oh yes, he was a founding member of YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA.

I kinda think that films that just use a song for the start and the credits does not qualify for the OP's suggestion. In some cases, as Mike Oldfield with the film "The Exorcist", it shouldn't count. The music does not belong there, and was only used because the big balloon guy bought his way in to sell even more records. The grandest shame is that "The Killing Fields" did not get Mike's mention and it should have, considering that it won 3 Oscars (7 Nominations!).

Edited by moshkito - October 07 2018 at 07:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 08:17
I just saw the batsh*t crazy new Nicholas Cage film Mandy: a psychotropic fever dream arthhouse cult movie, not for every taste. But it very effectively employs King Crimson's Starless over the opening credits, something I wasn't expecting...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 10:27
Aloha, Bobby And Rose 1975 - Karn Evil 9 1st Imp Pt 2

I also remember it being used in a TV Series, playing from a tape recorder sitting on a rock in the desert I think. Possibly Legion, or Breaking Bad, something like that.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 11:23
GOBLIN Profondo Rosso
GOBLIN Suspiria
GOBLIN Zombi
GOBLIN La Via Della Droga
GOBLIN The Bloodstained Shadow
GOBLIN Patrick
GOBLIN Amo Non Amo
GOBLIN Squadra Antigangsters
GOBLIN Buio Omega
GOBLIN Contamination
GOBLIN Tenebre
GOBLIN St. Helens
GOBLIN Phenomena
GOBLIN La Chiesa
GOBLIN Non Ho Sonno
GOBLIN Gamma

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:31
From Wikipedia, regarding Peter Banks' band "Flash" -

Flash had a minor hit with "Small Beginnings" (1972, No. 29 Billboard Hot 100 chart) which was featured in the movieRecord Review

(I cannot find anything about the movie "Record Review" on IMDB, so I cannot verify this one)
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:36
Also, I have previously pointed out that the awful movie "Devil's Triangle," breathlessly narrated by Vincent Price, "featured" the music of King Crimson (well, only one song).

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:50
absolutely boss man...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:57
Guru Guru played a band called "Die Rattenfänger" ("The Rat-Catchers") in a TV-movie named "Notwehr" (German for "self-defense") from 1977. drummer Mani Neumeier had a leading role in the movie. the movie is about a rock band moving into a little rural village. there are conflicts with the inhabitants of the village which lead to a killing. of course the band provided all the music too

Edited by BaldJean - October 07 2018 at 17:59

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 00:28
Keith Emerson did a few. I really like the Inferno soundtrack (Dario Argento Italian Horror flick) especially the track Cigarettes, Ices Etc.
Jurgen Fritz also did a very good one called Hard To Be A God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>