Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VOLA for crossover prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOLA for crossover prog
    Posted: October 16 2018 at 02:41
Crossover proggers VOLA (spelled with capital letters) formed in 2006 in Copenhagen, Denmark, and released two EPs, ‘Homesick Machinery’ (EP) (2008) and ‘Monsters’ (EP) (2011), before releasing their debut full length album‘Inmazes’ in 2016 which spawned the singles ‘Starburn’, ‘Gutter Moon’ and ‘October Session’. Their sophomore full length album ‘Applause of a distant Crowd’ that arrived last week (2018) contains the two singles ‘Smartfriend’ and ‘Ghosts’ and the EP ‘Alien Shivers’.

Their releases have seen them move from progressive metal to the softer crossover style. Their latest release rests comfortably on the crossover shelve.

They have been covered in PROG magazine on a number of occasions: https://www.loudersound.com/search?searchTerm=vola

VOLA’s current lineup:

Asger Mygind (guitar, vocals)

Martin Werner (keys, programming)

Nicolai Mogensen (bass)

Adam Janzi (drums)

Links:

Discogs https://www.discogs.com/artist/3652537-VOLA

Homepage https://www.volaband.com/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/volaband/

Youtube:

Edited by earlyprog - October 20 2018 at 06:07
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 03:28
Apologies! Embarrassed

I didn't do my research well enough.

They were proposed back in 2015 and rejected by PM team. 

Here's the post: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103465&KW=vola&PID=5207097#5207097

Any chance of them getting re-evaluated?

Shrek the Progre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek the Progre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 08:28
I made a thread listing some bands to be evaluated and VOLA was among them. Unfortunately I was told to suggest those bands one by thread, so I thank you for sparing some time of mine by doing this.

And yes they can be reevaluated in light of the 2016 and 2018 releases, since they werent considered.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 04:19
^I think a reevaluation of VOLA by the PM team seems unlikely - even if it is possible (well is it? any official guidelines for doing so?) - as the band has moved in a more crossover direction IMO.

Edited by earlyprog - October 19 2018 at 04:22
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 06:12
I have changed the heading for this thread to accommodate the above posts.

Hence, calling the Crossover team Smile
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 13:44
I think the metal/heavy element is still there so we can have another listen in the metal team, no need to change the title. Happy to pass over to the crossovers if we think they are not fit.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 02:21
Great, aapatsos Thumbs Up

Thanks.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 05:59
Whatever genre they end up in, just wanted to say I've enjoyed listening to them of late. They do seem to be moving 'Anathema'-style, away from their heavier roots to a softer style - quite post-rock in places, actually. I do see similarities with Voyager from Australia in several tracks with the djent riffs mixing with the melodic piano and ethereal vocals. A shame they are not heading up to the North East on this tour - maybe another time. 
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 02:58
It would seem that Vola have been rejected by the metal team.

Will they be evaluated by the Crossover team next?

After all, crossover does seem to be be most fitting genre in my view.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 03:31
I do not see how they can fit under crossover since they are a metal band. 
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 07:37
Agreed.

Very enjoyable stuff but not quite prog.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 02:41
^"not quite prog" isn't that the nature of crossover prog Wink

I'm not going to drag the 'If Steven Wilson and Dredg are here, then VOLA should be here too'-card.

I totally agree they do not belong in any of the current PA metal categories.

I just don't see why a metal ingredient should rule out crossover.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 14:39
^ Not quite. "not quite prog" isn't the nature of crossover prog. This could describe prog-related.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 15:27
Very interesting views...... I was so impressed by what I heard that I went to the local HMV record store to buy their two albums. It was there in the 'Metal' section sure enough, but I've played it numerous times and if I was a dyed-in-the-wool metal fan, I'd have been disappointed, because the metal influences are well in the background on the latest album as the more subtle 'proggy'/post-rock' come to the fore. Even the djent style is less pronounced.

This whole genre setting issue for bands on the 'metallic' side is a tricky one and I can see both sides of the argument. Listening to the new, much heavier, Haken album, Vector, and comparing to Vola, I would suggest a rethink of Haken's 'Heavy Prog' categorisation might be called for.... but their next album could be back in the style of Aquarius! Who can say. Then again, what about Opeth these days......   (continued page 94)
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 16:30
^ agree with comments on their metal edge, it is certainly a much more polished/alternative/heavy version. I like everything I have heard from them, they are spot on mixing melody, catchy riffs and experimentation. Whatever sub they were proposed to would not change my mind. Maybe their next album sees them evolve further.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 03:42
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I think the metal/heavy element is still there so we can have another listen in the metal team, no need to change the title. Happy to pass over to the crossovers if we think they are not fit.

!?
 Post Reply Post Reply