Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is it like to be a daughter of the Baldies?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is it like to be a daughter of the Baldies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it like to be a daughter of the Baldies?
    Posted: October 17 2018 at 03:31
First of all I would like to state that I love my mothers very deeply. But it can't be denied that life with them can be quite a strain because they are both odd. Very odd.

My sister and I took some time reading through their posts on this forum, and we think this oddity can sometimes be detected in their posts, even by people who don't know them personally. But what comes through in these posts is merely the surface.

A post we read with special interest is the one about their first meeting. While it is quite candid there is something left out in this tale; I will come back to this in a moment.

The first thing that is striking about my mothers is their lack of any hair. This is due to alopecia universalis, an autoimmune disorder. All hair is regarded as not belonging to the body by the immune system, from head to toe, and this really means all, so they don't even have eyelashes.

But that is just their looks. Their behavior is odd too. They do, for example, both have the Asperger syndrome, which means they have difficulty connecting to the emotions of other people. This shows in the way they speak, but interestingly in very different ways. While both don't look into the eyes of the person they are speaking to, Mommy Friede stares somewhere over the shoulder of the person she is speaking to and speaks in a very loud voice, as if that person is somewhere in the distance, while Mommy Jean looks into her lap and speaks almost in a whisper.

Both have explained to us how they acquired these behaviors. Mommy Friede said that as a child she always had the feeling other people did not understand her (while it was probably the other way round, at least emotionally), so she raised her voice to be better understood. Mommy Jean had the same feeling but reacted just the other way round. She lowered her voice out of frustration because she thought people did not listen to her anyway. Having difficulty to look a person in the eye is, by the way, typical for the Asperger syndrome. A conversation with both of them is therefore definitely a strain to the ears because you have to adjust them all the time.

That Mommy Friede speaks with a very loud voice and Mommy Jean with a very quiet one does not mean one of them is dominant and the other submissive in their relationship; it just means one of them is extroverted and the other introverted.

Mommy Friede also had ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) as a kid. The combination of Asperger syndrome and ADHD is very rare but does sometimes occur. Mommy Jean on the other hand had SCT (sluggish cognitive tempo). This does not mean she is stupid; Albert Einstein for example probably had SCT too.

Their doctors suggested the kids should practice yoga, a suggestion Mommy Jean's parents immediately jumped on because they were hippies. They have both been practicing yoga for almost 45 years now and are therefore extremely flexible. Doing yoga is something my sister and I picked up from them too.

As to hippies: Both our mothers had contact with drugs very early in life. The home of Mommy Jean was always full of sweet smoke because her parents were hippies and lived in Oakland CA, which is just a bridge away from San Francisco, the center of the hippie movement. Mommy Friede's parents both worked, and her elder brother who is ten years older than her had to watch her, and he started smoking hashish at age eleven. So both were involuntarily passive hashish smokers.

But their oddities don't end there. Both are extremely close to each other, and I mean extremely; their relationship closely resembles a symbiosis. They can't stand to be separated, and if for some reason they have to for a short time they embrace each other as if the separation is going to be forever, and when they rejoin they embrace again as if they have been apart for years when in reality it was only two hours or so. Mark that these embraces are very clumsy (people with the Asperger syndrome are usually not too fond of body contact), and if I saw two other people embrace like this I would probably laugh. But with my mothers I can't help but be deeply moved.

My mothers have even tried connecting themselves with a short chain between them, which of course leads to problems in daily life. They tried connecting themselves by the necks, by the waists, by one wrist or by one ankle and once even in all four places. When there is some sort of crisis in their lives they sometimes sleep like that.

My mothers are also home nudists, a habit which my sister and I picked up from them. The first time we visited a school friend at her home this caused funny and somewhat shocked reactions by her parents because we both immediately undressed as soon as we entered her home. So I actually am nude while writing this (collective yells from the readers: “Show us pictures”)!

Connecting each other with chains sounds kinky, and my mothers are most definitely very kinky. They tried to hide it from us, but my sister and I secretly watched them when we were eleven years old and they thought we were in bed. They found out that we found out when we had to write an essay about our parents for school and asked them if we could include the “funny things” they do and they asked what “funny things” we meant.

We had a long conversation after this in which they explained their behavior to us, and after this conversation they decided to no longer hide their kinky side from us since we knew about it anyway. I won't go into the details (disappointed “aww” from the readers), but trust me, they have done some really weird sh**.

And then my mothers are also High Priestesses of Gaia, the ancient Greek Goddess of the Earth, and raised us in that spirit. So we are followers of their religion too, as well as Aunt Bea, the sister of Mommy Jean, who lived at our home for a few years while studying at the university of Cologne. And this religion definitely has an influence on our daily lives as well.

This description of my mothers does not do them justice; they are really very lovable women. But most definitely with a lot of oddities.

Edited by AliceBaldieDaughter - October 17 2018 at 11:24
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 04:21
^ Wow. That was an eye opener but not surprising. The problem with internet communication is the lack of personal face to face contact and the fact that it seems that the other person on the other end of the conversation is somehow devoid of feelings as the process is so impersonal. I'm not sure if your mothers approve of your post that explains so much about them but I feel that I've come to know them more on a personal level now and that's a great thing on this impersonal medium that we share. So thank you for that.

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2018 at 04:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 05:10
I did of course ask my mothers for approval, and they had no objections.
DorothyBaldieFille View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyBaldieFille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 05:51
Many people think it is impossible or at least very difficult for two people with the Asperger Syndrome (or shortly AS) to be in a relationship with each other because neither understands the other emotionally, but I actually believe that this is what glues my mothers together. They finally have found someone who has the same problem and so does understand, at least on an intellectual level, the difficulties of the other. And having AS does by no means mean you don't have emotions, it just means you have problems communicating them.

I am certain that when one of my mothers dies the other will die shortly afterwards, either because of grief or because of suicide. I can even imagine them committing suicide together if one of them becomes mortally and incurably ill and grows weaker from day to day. They just can't live without each other.

I agree with Alice that they are very odd women. But I love them very deeply.

Edited by DorothyBaldieFille - October 17 2018 at 10:10
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 08:24
Originally posted by AliceBaldieDaughter AliceBaldieDaughter wrote:

I did of course ask my mothers for approval, and they had no objections.
I'm pleasantly surprised. Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 10:06
It's great to have you and your sisters here. Both your moms seem like really nice people . I have enjoyed reading their post & hearing their views on music over the past year or so (When I joined the forum) As for  being a little "odd" I wouldn't worry about that. It's a prog rock forum, we're all a little odd here. Wink

Edited by Argo2112 - October 17 2018 at 10:09
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 10:50
You're an adorable family! You should have a reality TV show to display your eccentricities. You'd be the biggest hit since The Osbournes! LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 11:15
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

You're an adorable family! You should have a reality TV show to display your eccentricities. You'd be the biggest hit since The Osbournes! LOL

It might be possible in Germany where total nudity on TV is no problem, at least not after 8 pm, but I sincerely doubt American TV channels could cope with that.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 11:53
Originally posted by AliceBaldieDaughter AliceBaldieDaughter wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

It might be possible in Germany where total nudity on TV is no problem, at least not after 8 pm, but I sincerely doubt American TV channels could cope with that.

Well I wasn't suggesting nudity! But you could easily bypass all that by simply making it a Internet only type of thing

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply