Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: Relics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd: Relics
    Posted: October 18 2018 at 10:59
I have to admit that this is one of the few compilations that I treat as a regular album, along with a Marillion compilation. And that's it for prog. (Ok, maybe Yes Shows.)  What's your take on Relics?

Edited by SteveG - October 18 2018 at 11:02
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 12:02
For me, it is essential for its version of Careful With That Axe, Eugene.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 12:13
This album has a special place for me. I got it as a present for my 13th birthday: the first prog album in my collection.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 13:43
Good early comp.....nice 'pencil & pen' artwork on cover.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 17:09
I love Relics.  Only thing I can think of that would have made it better is if it had been a double album including "Apples and Oranges", "It Would be so Nice", "Candy and a Currant Bun" and maybe a few live rarities.  Either way, it would have to end with Bike Wink
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 23:51
At the time Relics was an affordable compilation album to help me discover early Floyd after discovering DSOTM etc. It was great to have a way to play the two singles (especially the great See Emily Play) along with Careful With That Axe, Eugene, Interstellar Overdrive, Bike etc. An important album in my prog collection, even after I purchased the albums many of the tracks came from. I liked the artwork as well.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 03:01
As someone who likes a lot of the Genesis singles, but is not keen on the albums that came after Trick of the Tail,  I was always hoping that one day there would be a singles compilation.  And I was well chuffed when Turn it On Again: The Hits was released
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 03:02
and yes, Relics is an excellent compilation.
Think t was the first Floyd album I bought  
I remember buying it in a 2nd hand record shop in Maidstone in 1986 when I was 17
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 06:06
I remember Relics being all over the place when I was younger, always meant to buy it but never quite got round to it.

btw- Yesshows is a live album, not a compilation.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 07:14
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

btw- Yesshows is a live album, not a compilation.
Ah, you know what I mean. Not a studio album.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 10:08
To be fair, Yesshows is sort of a compilation of live recordings, rather than a single concert; although I guess that's sort of the norm for 70s live albums anyways. Although Yesshows always seemed particularly jarring to me in the way it jumps from tour to tour (and Wakeman to Moraz), but probably because I was familiar with full concert recordings from those tours before I heard the album.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 10:20
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I love Relics.  Only thing I can think of that would have made it better is if it had been a double album including "Apples and Oranges", "It Would be so Nice", "Candy and a Currant Bun" and maybe a few live rarities.  Either way, it would have to end with Bike Wink

This

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

At the time Relics was an affordable compilation album to help me discover early Floyd after discovering DSOTM etc. It was great to have a way to play the two singles (especially the great See Emily Play) along with Careful With That Axe, Eugene, Interstellar Overdrive, Bike etc. An important album in my prog collection, even after I purchased the albums many of the tracks came from. I liked the artwork as well.

& this.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 10:43
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

To be fair, Yesshows is sort of a compilation of live recordings, rather than a single concert; although I guess that's sort of the norm for 70s live albums anyways. Although Yesshows always seemed particularly jarring to me in the way it jumps from tour to tour (and Wakeman to Moraz), but probably because I was familiar with full concert recordings from those tours before I heard the album.
I suppose I'll have to start a thread about Yesshows now.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 15:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I remember Relics being all over the place when I was younger, always meant to buy it but never quite got round to it.

Same here... Once I had DSOTM (my second album bought ever after COTC), I was all over Meddle, AHM... then I went further by exploring More, UmmGumma, Saucerful and started WTF'ing, because there was lots of that weird decadent psych rock (ala Emily or Clegg), which I didn't like much (still don't nowadays);... So I never really got around buying Relics (on top of it, in North Am, we had that Maya antique artwork, which wasn't enticing)

I either had the tracks that interested me (Overdrive or Cirrus) or a different version (Axe), so I never bothered with it, but I did borrow it.

Edited by Sean Trane - October 19 2018 at 15:53
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 01:06
Not the best named Pink Floyd compilation though
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Good early comp.....nice 'pencil & pen' artwork on cover.

Depending on where you live, you may have the line art cover, or the "bottle opener" cover.  I have the latter.  In fact, I have the two "relics" that appear on the front and back covers (tongues not included).

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 07:51
^ I've got the album too. How did you ever find these creepy bottle openers! Just perfect for the music!

Edited by SteveG - October 20 2018 at 07:53
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 08:50
^ You can find them in antique stores, mostly on the east coast of the US.  They were manufactured by Wilton (and other companies) back in the fifties.  You can also find them on EBay and Etsy.  Search for "cast iron figural bottle opener".  These two, in particular, are sometimes called "Four Eyed Man", "Double Eye", or "Miss Four Eyes". I have a collection of nearly a hundred pieces. Expect to pay $30-70 for authentic ones.  There are many Chinese knock-offs out there (selling as real antiques) so beware!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 08:59
Yea, counterfeit antiques is all the rage, especially on a site like ebay. Thanks for the info. 
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 09:31
I thought the counterfeit was the "Australian" version but I loved Crumbling Land included.
Relics was second or third bought after The Dark Side Of The Moon. Bought A Saucerful Of Secrets at the same time.
I love how it's an effective compilation and for all the misrepresentations (Nothing from Umma Gumma or Atom Heart Mother) it plugs a fair gap for listeners to be introduced and summing up of their earlier works.
A Collection Of Great Dance Songs doesn't have the same variety of their compilations when band was active.
And I would have removed "Remember A Day" for "Point Me At The Sky" but reality didn't turn out that way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>