Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Sea Within

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Sea Within
    Posted: October 20 2018 at 13:06
What do you think of this recent supergroup. I am personally happy to see Gildenlöws affection for Prog grow again.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 13:53
Unfortunately it's precisely my disliking of his vocals that has kept me away from fully enjoying this new recording (hope he would save himself for choirs only)

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:13
After repeat listens...

I give it a 6.5/10.

Kinda meh but I love the first two songs!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 16:23
It's a grower, I think it's a good album that needs a good few listens to appreciate.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 01:29
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Unfortunately it's precisely my disliking of his vocals that has kept me away from fully enjoying this new recording (hope he would save himself for choirs only)

Gildenlöw is the main reason I am giving this album a listen, one of my favorite vocalists/musicians. :)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 04:00
It's a good album, but not a particularly memorable one. Tracks flow over me somewhat - with just the odd musical highlight shining out. The vocal style is okay, but tends to dominate over the instrumentation in the mix, which is rather muted at times, given the calibre of the musicians. At times it almost has a retro-60s 'late Beatles' feel and overall I find it hard to pin a particular identity onto the group. 'They Know My Name' and the latter stages of 'Broken Cord' stand out to a greater extent compared than other tracks, maybe.

As with a lot of albums, I've no idea whether to consider the bonus tracks as part of the album or not when judging a release. Some of these work better than others, but the over-wrought vocals on 'Denise' are heading too close to 'Sylvia's Mother' at times.

Stick it in the background and it is a pleasant enough listen, but I don't engage with it as much as other recent releases. It reminds me of recent collaborations which I expected more from - such as Squackett or Kiama - which are fine enough, but don't go to that next level. I'll persist with more listens in the months to come, in case it continues to grow, though.

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 05:08
^ Good comparison with Squackett, really, both give - sadly - that unconvincing  lukewarm sensation (meeeehhh)
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 16:37
Good, but I'll stay with The Flower Kings
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 19:48
Kind of disappointing.   Meh
 Post Reply Post Reply