Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is your favorite under-appreciated guitarist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is your favorite under-appreciated guitarist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 05:44
PS: As I don't esteem Trevor Rabin very highly as a guitarist (and I'm not even saying this as a huge Yes fan), AFlowerKingCrimson has a point there - compared to him I certainly underappreciate that guy. (It's fun strengthening your nomination by disagreeing with it. Tongue)

Edited by Lewian - October 22 2018 at 05:46
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 06:03
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

That's the problem with a term such as "under-appreciated"; people interpret it differently and it is subjective in a weird way because it is not only about assessing one's own opinion but also about the opinions of other people. It may mean "almost unknown" but on the other hand if you think that Andy Latimer is the number one guitarist in prog then you could legitimately claim he is under-appreciated despite him being quite well appreciated overall... one could also argue that it is entirely different from "unknown" and rather means "better than people think" which is an empty statement as long as somebody is unknown so not many people think anything about this person.

Some guitarists that for me a really among the very best in prog and generally are Adrian Belew, Fred Frith and Peter Wolbrandt (of Kraan). All of these are more or less well known and even well appreciated, but you'd probably find them on few top 10 lists of guitarists and they'd certainly feature on mine.

Or perhaps the term is best expressed as a function of album sales which is the only real and true measure of both appreciation and success....??

Edited by flyingveepixie - October 22 2018 at 06:05
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 06:45
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

Or perhaps the term is best expressed as a function of album sales which is the only real and true measure of both appreciation and success....??

I don't think so. If people buy a Yes album with Trevor Rabin on it, this doesn't mean that they think he is a top guitarist. There are all kinds of other reasons to buy an album. Some people even might buy a Steve Hackett album because they like his songs and musical style rather than being interested in guitar skills.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 07:26
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Good call on Justin Hayward (from the Moody Blues) Also:

Peter Banks (original Yes guitarist)
Andy Latimer (Camel)
Mike Holmes (IQ)
Anthony Phillips (very early Genesis and solo)
Jan Akkerman (Focus)
Alan Morse (Spock's Beard)
Rich Berends (Mastermind)
Ed Wynne (Ozric Tentacles)
Rich Williams/Kerry Livgren (Kansas)
Alex Lifeson (Rush and yes I do feel he is underappreciated to an extent)
Trevor Rabin (Doesn't get the respect he deserves from some yes fans so I throw him in here as well)
Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)
Roye Albrighton (RIP) (Nektar)

Of course there are plenty of others as well.

Lifeson, Rabin and Barre have between them sold well in excess of 100 million albums.

Rabin is also a fabulously successful composer of Hollywood film scores and the single "Lift me up"  which Rabin co wrote with Squire for the album "Union" spent 6 weeks at the number one position on the billboard album rock tracks chart. 

Latimer also clocks up album sales in the multiple millions. 

Justin Hayward has recently been inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Jan Akkerman was well appreciated as a guitarist in the 70s and Focus even had commercial singles success completely outside the sphere of prog or fusion. 

Ant Phillips is an oddball who suffers from stagefright which I believe was his primary reason for quitting Genesis - if he had stayed he would undoubtedly have reaped the rewards. I believe he is a very fine 12 string player who has contributed to several albums for others outside of Genesis and on his own - he is perhaps a qualifier. 

Peter Banks may also be a qualifier but I must confess to not knowing any of his work outside of his fairly minor contributions to Yes - there is an article about him on Wikipedia which describes him as "the architect of progressive music" (a bit off the mark perhaps). 

Admittedly I haven't heard of the rest of the guitarists on your list so they may well also be qualifiers but I really don't think that Lifeson et al as mentioned above in this post have a look in on this poll....as successful and famous as they all are.....

In my own (probably irrelevant) opinion the term "underappreciated" equates very well with the term "unknown".   Most of the bands and musicians who are listed as artists here on PA and virtually all of the posters on this forum who are guitarists are completely unknown and equally unappreciated...

Thanks for sharing your views. Album sales are mostly irrelevant in my opinion since we are talking about individual musicians. Anyway, I suppose we all have our own opinions and criteria for what we consider under-appreciated. All the guitarists I mentioned are in my opinion more under appreciated than Steve Howe and Steve Hackett who I both feel are vastly under appreciated in non prog circles so now maybe you can get a sense for why I chose all of these guitarists. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 22 2018 at 07:28
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 07:41
Ian Fitch - The Future Kings Of England
Trey Spruance - Secret Chiefs 3
Paul Lai - Upsilon Acrux
Kavus Torabi - Knifeworld
James MacGaw - Magma
Frank Fromy - Shub-Niggurath

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:03
Underrated? I don't know but I go with Dave Gregory. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:22
^ Excellent choice! Andy Partridge is a bit underrated too IMO.

Good call on Justin Hayward back there; most often celebrated for his vocals and songwriting, but he could play some real tasty guitar. 

Ok, how 'bout Pye Hastings? 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 09:23
I'll go with Jean and say Roman Bunka of Embryo. Such a great guitar player, and he plays the oud too! And his first solo album "Dein Kopf ist ein schlafendes Auto" is one of the very best albums of the 80s and among my personal favorites. And no-one but Jean and me ever mentions him, which is an absolute shame. You guys should most definitely listen to the examples Jean gave in her post.

Someone named Eddy Marron which is not a bad call either.

Edited by BaldFriede - October 22 2018 at 09:33

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 11:30
Two already mentioned....Mike Holmes and Dave Gregory.
Not sure if he's underrated but Donald 'buck dharma' Roeser from BOC....at least I don't see him on many lists.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 12:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Not sure if he's underrated but Donald 'buck dharma' Roeser from BOC....at least I don't see him on many lists.

ThisClap. I wanted to mention him, but thought he was relatively well-known. On the other hand, he does not get as much love as other guitarists, though he's one of the very best.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 13:40
Buck's not an unknown, but he's definitely UNDERappreciated! IMO, he's a lead guitarist who can hang with just about anybody, but unlike most (and like his contemporary Ronnie Montrose), he's a master of tone and melodicism. And these new young rock guitarists — sheesh, they can't play a solo if you spray WD-40 all over their fretboards.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:08
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I'll go with Jean and say Roman Bunka of Embryo. Such a great guitar player, and he plays the oud too! And his first solo album "Dein Kopf ist ein schlafendes Auto" is one of the very best albums of the 80s and among my personal favorites. And no-one but Jean and me ever mentions him, which is an absolute shame. You guys should most definitely listen to the examples Jean gave in her post.

Speaking of German guitarists(at least I assume the guy from Embryo is German)I would like to nominate Manuel Gottsching from Ash Ra Tempel and also a solo artist. I think he's almost the textbook definition of an under rated guitarist.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:38
My favorite underappreciated guitarist isn't even a prog guy. He's Pat McManus of Mama's Boys fame! The man's talent is immense. He's literally Gary Moore II!

The McManus brothers (Pat, John, Tommy) were born into a family of musicians. At a young age, he was a champion fiddler in his neck o' the woods in Ireland. Pat and his sister went and saw Horslips live and were blown away by their inventive fusion of Celtic and rock styles. 

Inspired like a fire tornado to move into the realm of electricity, Pat shifted to guitar and "appointed" his John as bassist-vocalist and Tommy (R.I.P.) as drummer. They first called themselves Pulse and then changed the name of their band to Mama's Boys. They enjoyed some modest success in the U.K. but never really clicked in the States. They did, and do, have a loyal following. Their first several albums as a trio are some of the finest hard rock I've ever heard.

Mama's Boys opened for Thin Lizzy on occasion. I'm shocked Phil didn't try to lure Pat to Thin Lizzy. A quartet featuring both Pat and John Sykes on lead guitar probably would've been too much. They'd have left every venue in a shambles! But I'm glad the McManus clan remained intact up to a point, because those early Mama's Boys records are dynamite.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:46

Speaking of German guitarists(at least I assume the guy from Embryo is German)I would like to nominate Manuel Gottsching from Ash Ra Tempel and also a solo artist. I think he's almost the textbook definition of an under rated guitarist.

Manuel's awesome! His lines on Ashra's Correlations just sizzle. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 14:50

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Roman Bunka is the son of a German diplomat and grew up in Beirut. He also took part in Embryo's famous trip to Pakistan and India. This is why there are a lot of Arabic and Indian influences in his playing, which makes him in my opinion one of the most interesting guitarists out there. He definitely deserves more recognition.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 15:03
I think it goes without saying that Edgar is likewise underappreciated in the realm of guitar.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 15:10
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

ThisClap. I wanted to mention him, but thought he was relatively well-known. On the other hand, he does not get as much love as other guitarists, though he's one of the very best.

my god you are so hot.. not sure if it is those socks you are wearing.. or simply your taste in music
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 15:15
for me... the god of the Fender Strat...  Hughie Thomasson.

even if you don't recognize the name.. you would recognize his signature greatness.  The long standing #1 Mick ranked Blow thy Speaker song ever...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 18:24
Hm Ive never been into the "guitar-virtuoso" and generally considered the guitarist to be overappreciated. I do love good riffing and a genuine, egoless and attentive bandplayer. When it comes to soloing I seem to prefer the ones creating soundscapes and modes over the frenetic noodlers and the supermelodic ones. Early Terje Rypdal is my ideal guitarist and while he is well respected musician not all that appreciated on PA.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 18:29

Edited by dwill123 - October 22 2018 at 18:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>