9 [5.26%]
11 [6.43%]
7 [4.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 16:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If it's too much trouble to replace the Ga'an with Ut Gret (editing has been such a hassle for you), or you would rather have the Ga'an, I perfectly understand. I guess that the Ga'an may on the whole fit better musically with the other choices on the list.

Have given both tracks a listen. Ga'an is fine, some sort of symphonic approach of Zeuhl, but I think Ut Gret is the best of these two. Top notch RIO .
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 16:25
Out of the list I'll go for Big Big Train, Wobbler, IQ and Transatlantic, but I'll throw in 'Looking for Something Else' by 'Mystery' as my wild card from this year.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 16:52
I have a thing for creepy ladies so Anna it is.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 17:36
IQ.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 17:55
I'm happy to see Anima Mundi and FreddeGredde show up here; though I'm surprised that Frost* and Neal Morse are omitted considering their popularity.
Even though I can't vote, I'm throwing in Non Newtonian Man's Biomechanical and Bader Nana's Devolver as some good examples of post-2010s epics.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 18:30
If Transatlantic/Duel With the Devil isn't on the list, I just can't play.

Edit:
Whoops!  Somehow I was thinking 2000's.  So Duel with the Devil is out.

I had to go with the Echolyn and the IQ.  There's a couple still on my "to listen" list.

Edited by Fischman - October 22 2018 at 08:10
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 18:41
Hard to choose between Wobbler, Anima Mundi and Moon Safari. The rest are also quite good. After a long thought, I'll go with Anima Mundi.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 19:07
Shamblemaths, Motorpsycho, Deluge Grander, Wobbled, Guapo
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 21:25
From this list I only know 3 (Big Big Train, IQ, and Transatlantic), and even though I do like them, they wouldn't go into my favourite ones. My very favourites, to the point of really having trouble choosing one of the three, would be: El Puente, by Cast; Return to Ommadawn (side 1), by Mike Oldfield; and Empire of the Clouds, by Iron Maiden (even if it might not be considered prog... though I guess this particular song might just as well be accepted as such).
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 22:34
Guapo I suppose. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 01:19

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 01:50
The only one I know on the list is Transatlantic's Into The Blue, and to be honest I was never that impressed by it.

Can I propose including Alive Again by the Neal Morse Band

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 06:06
Going with From Silence to Somewhere, followed by East Coast Racer.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 07:53
My Top 5 (no order)
1. Kaipa Da Capo - Tonerna (2017)
2. Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope (2014)
3. Unitopia - Tesla (2010)
4. Wobbler - Foxlight (2017)
5. Evership - Isle of the Broken Tree (2018)

Edited by Hrychu - October 22 2018 at 07:57
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 11:42
Wobbler, baby! Wobbler.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 12:53
Voted for Guapo, Discipline, Setna and Ut Gret - plus an "other" vote for a great 20-minute epic that I believe deserves a mention: "Under Wuhu Son" from Frogg Cafe's 2010 album Bateless Edge. Besides being musically great, this three-part epic is based on a very moving true story (read the liner notes for details!). Looking forward to seeing the Froggs on stage for the fourth time on November 10.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 15:23
^ have I told you recently how smokin' hot you are... and it isn't just the socks...

*smacks oneself*  back on topic.. yeah that Frogg epic is pretty f**king epic babe..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 01:49

I don't know why, but I've avoided listening to Big Big Train (it's almost like I have a phobia about it and I don't know why -- it's not like I have a phobia about big trains of which I am aware, although there was time on the rails when I was a kid, but I never had a problem with watching Big Train ).

Big Big Train is pastoral prog, sometimes strongly reminiscent of Gabriel-era Genesis, a far remove from the RIO/Avant or acid folk you are used to listen to. In my view, English Electric (Part One) is the 21st century counterpart of Selling England by the Pound. Nothing to be afraid of Smile.

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

My Top 5 (no order)
1. Kaipa Da Capo - Tonerna (2017)
2. Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope (2014)
3. Unitopia - Tesla (2010)

4. Wobbler - Foxlight (2017)
5. Evership - Isle of the Broken Tree (2018)

I would gladly have included Foxlight if it were two minutes longer.My favourite track off that great album.

Anyway, you all give me quite a lot of homework to do. Of the epics I did not know, I gave only heard Ga'an and Ut Gret so far, and both listens were rewarding.

Edited by someone_else - October 23 2018 at 01:54
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 04:09
Of course, Big Train had the classic 'Emerson, Lake & Palmer' sketch. I still chuckle when I see the mule loaded up with all the keyboards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsflF5Fyho
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 06:02
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I don't know why, but I've avoided listening to Big Big Train (it's almost like I have a phobia about it and I don't know why -- it's not like I have a phobia about big trains of which I am aware, although there was time on the rails when I was a kid, but I never had a problem with watching Big Train ).

Big Big Train is pastoral prog, sometimes strongly reminiscent of Gabriel-era Genesis, a far remove from the RIO/Avant or acid folk you are used to listen to. In my view, English Electric (Part One) is the 21st century counterpart of Selling England by the Pound. Nothing to be afraid of Smile.

and for many... absolutely nothing to get excited about.  

Retro Prog.. the bane of this genre.  Zero creativity or sense of being progressive falling into the been there done and heard it before branch of prog
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>