40 [51.28%]
38 [48.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma vs Caravan
    Posted: July 13 2022 at 08:21
Great as Caravan is, gotta go with MAGMA on this one!
Z
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 01:11
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 08:10
^ the Kobaians come up with original designs... Tongue
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 08:04
these 2 bands aren't even in the same league.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 01:49
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

pretty close race but in my view Caravan is undoubtedly superior

superior? Confused
How? 
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 18:46
pretty close race but in my view Caravan is undoubtedly superior
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 18:43
Magma - but, if I wanted relax... Caravan.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - October 27 2021 at 18:45
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 12:06
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

Caravan by a lot. How are you supposed to understand a band that makes their own language. I mean, it influenced me that any music even the great PFM and Banco were listenable. But, PFM and Banco are actually speaking a language, not this Kobian ehhh, whatever it is called. Caravan has more melodic music and feels more like rock music than chanting. 

How are you at understanding purely instrumental music?

I mostly listen to albums/ works for the music, not for the lyrics. I listen to a lot of instrumental-only music and albums in languages I don't speak and I don't look up the meanings or translations, well, rarely.

Music itself is a kind of language I would say and I can "get" music, or come to own interpretation and appreciation at least, if I feel like I have some understanding of the idiom. What matters to me is that the music connects with me somehow, even if in a very abstract way. I was first into classical works without lyrics. By the way, my Kobaian is not too bad (know a lot of the words) but the language is more about the sound so I treat it like another instrument. And I love chants, and dissonant music, and non rock-music.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 11:50
Caravan by a lot. How are you supposed to understand a band that makes their own language. I mean, it influenced me that any music even the great PFM and Banco were listenable. But, PFM and Banco are actually speaking a language, not this Kobian ehhh, whatever it is called. Caravan has more melodic music and feels more like rock music than chanting. 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 05:28
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Really love both, but vote Magma because it has done better albums after seventies.

About sums it up.  Caravan - pair of old comfy slippers whereas Magma continue to perform challenging, unsettling music (by the way, I have seen Caravan many times and Magma only the once...)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 04:43
bump! 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 12:53
Really love both, but vote Magma because it has done better albums after seventies.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 11:58
Magma 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 09:01
Too many difficult polls lately! 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 07:35
now that is a tough one...  two bands very high on list of personal favs.

longevity and still great albums many decades later gets Magma the vote.  Creativity is a very finite component of music and the fact that Magma still today remain creative and not just a parody or tribute band to itself who remained progressive throughout their career...says a great deal about the shear talent and creativity within the Vanders.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 02:29
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

I have 35 Caravan songs on my I-Pod,
1 Magma.

The Question is whether you mean M.d.K. with one song or some other very long thing xD
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 02:14
I always think of dividing the prog spectra into two sets. Set one is bands that mainly use melodic themes with the occasional weird bits. Set two is the bands who have weirdness as standard with occasional melodic bits....If like me you get irritated by the crows squawking in echoes...you are unlikely to like avant garde or zeule or whatever it is called...

Edited by M27Barney - October 27 2018 at 02:15
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 20:47
I think Caravan is better but magma is still good
Dragged down by the stone
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 18:20
Easily Caravan. I rather dislike Magma (although I tried several times to change this attitude... without success).
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 18:16
Caravan
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>