Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pirated again !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pirated again !
    Posted: October 30 2018 at 07:07
Just noticed an Eastern European website is pirating my music and offering it as a free download. Irritating but inevitable. 

Reported them to Google, anyone else had this problem and did you get it resolved ?

Cheers
Dave

stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 08:14
Oh yeah, apparently we're bigger than The Beatles in and around Russia. Free and pay-for downloads of our (Limpid Green) albums are all over those websites. I haven't done anything about it. We offer our music for free anyway. It does bug me that someone might actually be selling our music, but I'd be surprised if anyone's buying it.

So if we have our music free on Bandcamp, are there areas of the world that can't access it and would access it from one of these junk sites instead?
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 08:51
Same problem, but there's nothing we can do... and if you found only one web site pirating your music, you did not check out well enough :-)
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 08:59
Please share links to the sites so I can get my music on there as well.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 09:00
I once got a call from a young man asking me "where the rave scene was at". Apparently some of my electronic music ended up on a electronica mix tape of some sort.
At least they were nice enough to credit me and even supplied my phone number.

I would never bother to try and track down something like that or try to stop it, its a hopeless situation really. Likewise, my record reviews and genre definitions written for music sites show up all over the internet, particularly on Russian and Eastern European sites.

Edited by Easy Money - October 30 2018 at 09:01
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 09:20
I've seen a recording of the Bandcamp stream of my album, but the quality is so low that I'm not worried and there's nothing I can do about it really.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 23:17
When I google my band name, I notice that there are a few websites that seem to be generated by bots pulling our videos off of YouTube and offering them as mp3 downloads. Not a huge concern for me since I doubt anyone's really looking for our music on those websites in the first place, and we have our music available for free on BandCamp anyways. Never really expected to make any significant money off of selling recorded music anyways - right now, the bigger priority is getting people to give our music a chance in the first place, because you can't sell albums or fill a venue if you don't have any fans.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 09:23
Hi fellas, irritating, isn't it ? 

Yes, no point playing Copyright Whack A Mole with Eastern European music thieves. If I get Google or Bandcamp or DCMA to ban them, they'll just change the URL and off we go again. As has been said, waste of time. 

Anyway, my idea is to produce long preview tracks on Bandcamp - released free - with a voice message in them pointing them back to the Bandcamp website where, if they like the track, they can buy the extended version on CD. That way, the pirate sites do me a favour instead. Pirate away, comrades. ;-)))))

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 10:01
Spasibo, gospodin Kat !

Eto na samom dele pol'skiye prestupniki. Spasibo za vashi kommentarii, da, ya govoryu po-russki, no vse eto bylo davno.

Translated - "Thanks, they're actually Polish". ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 06:45
Glad to say that reporting the site to Google works - it's disappeared from search records. 

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 15:19
If you don't want people downloading your music for free, you probably shouldn't have it on Bandcamp either. If you can stream it, you can download it.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 21:54
That's also great advice if you don't want people to buy your music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 04:29
Most of my music IS actually free. The stuff which isn't is what I was talking about. 

Anyone with half an ounce of intelligence can use a ripper to pull music from YouTube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud et al. By that logic, no one should put any music anywhere on the internet. 

I'm talking about scenarios where someone rips your entire musical catalogue - including pay for items - and then puts it on a website as a free download somewhere. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 06:28
Just got pirated AGAIN by a Russian website, 2olega.ru - I'd suggest folks here look it up as it has a lot of progressive rock on it. They'd given away 30 of my albums for free. 

I sorted it out by doing a whois search to find the administrator and then sent them a mail which basically said I am the copyright owner, you have stolen music from me. You will remove all music from your website within 5 working days or I will inform your hosting provider or any search engines which you appear on that you are in breach of copyright. Typically they will remove you from their listings or revoke your site. I will not be entering into further conversation about the subject.

Translated it into Russian, sent a dual language e-mail. Next morning - 404, page not found. Sorted out.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 06:39
As a PS, I have some evidence that a forum member is behind this. The old graphics and part of a review were copied onto the download page. The page has now gone. 

It's not someone from my Bandcamp profile, as the only Russian fans I have (1) merely downloaded a free copy of a song, but I do have an e-mail address for them. I'll inform the admins but suggest you all check the 2olega.ru site in case any of your music is in the progressive rock section. You'll have to translate the page. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 07:13

Edited by moshkito - December 14 2018 at 19:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 10:14
Mosh, Bandcamp haven't streamed anything. Someone's visited the site and used a ripper to get the music off it. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 06:56
... removed ... old music per Dave

Edited by moshkito - December 14 2018 at 19:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 09:32
Pedro, thanks, but you are somewhat behind the conversation and more than a bit off - topic here.....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 05:15
Pirated a third time in two months: I've removed all music from the Bandcamp page and the only way I'll do it now is as CD releases. Of course, these will also eventually be pirated, but bu88ered if I'm releasing music just to have it picked up by Eastern European free download sites again. 

To be quite honest with you..... 90% of "fans" out there are not fans but vultures.

To be quite honest, that is. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>