Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pirated again !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 10:41
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

No no no. 

Musicians do NOT need an audience. They need other musicians. No one's mentioned readers, writers, actors or spectators. 

If you were playing in a string quartet, you need the three other people in the quartet. The enjoyment comes from playing with them. You don't *need* an audience. 

Being worshipped or adored or needed is for children or those who need their egos massaging. Non musicians, and I should expect you are one, have this weird idea that they somehow understand music or musicians or how you should play a musical instrument and 101 other things. 

They actually have no idea at all. But the internet is a place where someone's misinformed opinion is worth more than someone elses' 40 years of actual knowledge. 

There will be some Russian anekdot about this, no doubt. ;-)

Take the Moscow Symphony Orchestra. They all play together. Prokofiev, in concert. At the end of the day, they get paid. I've played in orchestras. If the audience weren't there and I still got paid, I enjoyed it much the same. The pleasure is to play with other musicians. Unlike writers and actors, who you seem to have mysteriously introduced. To prop up an uninformed opinion. 
Maybe it's the highest form of wisdom, but looks like hermitry. Smile
In real world it still takes two for tango.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 10:45
Oh, I'm sorry, did I read that as 

"I am not a musician but I have a great big opinion and therefore am right ?" Smile

flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 10:58
I think the message here is clear enough : Mr notaproghead endorses pirate websites and probably uses them himself - maybe even runs one of them... and also thinks that musicians who spend a year at a time creating albums should shut up about being ripped off and just take it with a smile. Am I missing anything out mr notaproghead..?

Edited by flyingveepixie - January 06 2019 at 10:59
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 11:51
I feel like if I'm going through the effort of making music for my enjoyment, I might as well share it with the world. Takes about 10 minutes of my day to upload something I've recorded to Bandcamp; not that big of a time investment for a hobby!

But I guess if it's better to have no "vultures" than to have no fans at all, that's your own prerogative. Plenty of other musicians around who have their music available to listen to before I buy it.

And yes I do play music before you make that assumption... just check my signature (actually, I'd be very happy if someone went through the effort of listening to my music and gave some honest feedback for it - best I get is a "like" on Facebook or a "great set, dude" after a show).
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 12:52
^ Much more constructive approach than "hunting witches pirates". Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 13:03
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

I think the message here is clear enough : Mr notaproghead endorses pirate websites and probably uses them himself - maybe even runs one of them... and also thinks that musicians who spend a year at a time creating albums should shut up about being ripped off and just take it with a smile. Am I missing anything out mr notaproghead..?

Oh yeah, I'm a King of the Pirate World! LOL

Yes, you're missing some points. 
You may keep on dropping tears "Oh I'm pirated again".
Or you may think what's wrong with your music or the way you're presenting and promoting it, think how to increase the number of fans, think what can you do to play for a bigger audience than "2 drunks and a dog".
It's up to you to choose.
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 14:11
Ah of course....

The reason my music is pirated is because there's something wrong with it or there's something wrong with the way I promote it or market it.  

Haha, yes indeed mate, sound logic and a truly deductive analysis there from you,  and I wish I had an ounce of such sage wisdom as you have, but after 47 years of playing, recording and performing in a multitude of situations I really don't need some clown who thinks piracy is perfectly acceptable in todays music business to give me hints, tips or snide remarks, on how I should improve my music, presentation or marketing.  Cheers.

Edited by flyingveepixie - January 07 2019 at 00:27
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 15:07

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Music is cheap. People are going to find a way to download it for free. If your music is first and foremost on Bandcamp, I'd say most are going to find it that way first. 

I just think taking down streaming on your page is a useless move. They lost, you lost. 

Sorry, Irrelevant. You are equating MUSIC with MONEY. They are two totally separate subjects. 

Music is not about money, it's an art form. However, if you put up a painting in a gallery and someone just walked in, hoiked it off the wall and walked out with it, you would be justifiably upset. 

If you don't understand someone getting upset about continuous copyright violation, I think you might have to sit down and think about it for a while. If there's no copyright, no ownership of music, no respect and no rules, musicians will just play amongst themselves and the only free music out there will be stuff with zero value, produced by people who don't care about it for people who don't know any better. 

Also. Music is NOT cheap. Music has been made cheap and devalued by ..... a few greedy people and a lot of very greedy and shortsighted "fans". 

I actually agree with all of this. I make music. I LIVE music. I'm just facing an unfortunate fact. 

Seems you've made up your mind and you're sticking to it though, so go and enjoy your jams, really. I'm going to try and not have your kind of attitude about it all down the line. Wish me luck! 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 05:36
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Want it or not, the time of studio projects is over. The only way to get some money from your music is playing gigs and selling CDs (LPs and merch) at concerts. Am I wrong?
How do you make the CDs without the studio projects? Are you saying you should only sell live CDs?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 06:26
As for "two to tango", well, by my mathematics, "me plus other musicians" seems to fit the totals there. 

Really, there have been some quite ridiculous suggestions here. Let's look at the big picture. 

Non musicians tend to make all kinds of assumptions about musicians - with no real knowledge, just opinion. why do musicians make music ? In the vast majority of cases, it's not to be rich and famous and adored- that's for people who do "commercial" music. Even in that case, very few commercial musicians are successful enough to do music full time. If you're doing anything like prog rock, you back yourself into a commercial dead end. You will - almost guaranteed - never make enough money to solely do music, you'll need a day job. I have a day job. I've no problem with not making a guaranteed living from music. 

Am I bothered about it ? No. Never have been. If I was bothered about it, the only route I'd be able to go down is a commercial one. This means "live gigs". 

Another non-musician assumption is that you can make money off live gigs, with merchandise sales at those gigs. Not any more. Used to be the case. Those days have completely gone as, to promote a gig and get tickets sold, you have to be able to devote massive amounts of time to marketing. See "I have a day job", above. 

So you essentially have one major problem, which is that you're playing non commercial music to an audience who aren't there, unless you live in a major city, and because you've got to hold down a day job, there's no time for practicing and rehearsing with other band members, doing publicity etc etc - even before you get to the mathematics of hiring out a venue, PA, engineer and lighting rig. 

Another assumption. Musicians love playing live. I hate it. I really don't need an audience to massage my ego, I don't need all the hassle of setting a gig up and I really, really don't like playing live. Oh, some musicians do, good luck to them. I get more pleasure playing with other musicians and an audience isn't really necessary. If I was being brutal, I'd say that they were necessary to pay the bills, but - as we've seen - "day job" above, I don't need the bills paid and one way of reducing them (and the headache) is not to play live gigs. Frankly, if an audience isn't paying or buying your music and actually supporting you, they're not needed. 

And no, I keep saying - I'm not in it for the money but the love of it. Love is a two way process and needs to be reciprocated. 

Last assumption by non musicians - "musicians need an audience". Not all do. Mentioned that above. What musicians need is a bit of respect and not to run around chasing fans who just refuse to pay but hoover up free downloads when you make something available for £0 on a trial basis to see if that generates sales. It doesn't. They also don't need to spend a depressingly large proportion of their time playing whack a mole with people who just pirate their music. 

There is almost zero respect and support coming from most "fans" - water finds it's own level - non musicians, don't bet on good music being around forever, as a lot of prog rock is experimental, people going out on a creative limb for you. If there's no reward for it then don't assume musicians will make the effort forever. It's a two way street. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 06:29

Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm a King of the Pirate World! LOL

Yes, you're missing some points. 
You may keep on dropping tears "Oh I'm pirated again".
Or you may think what's wrong with your music or the way you're presenting and promoting it, think how to increase the number of fans, think what can you do to play for a bigger audience than "2 drunks and a dog".
It's up to you to choose.

Completely wrong end of the stick - "What's wrong with my music .... ? " - nothing. I don't want to increase the fans, I don't want a bigger audience, that's about MONEY and not MUSIC. 

And I have chosen what to do. ;-)

That statement above says "We non musicians can tell musicians what to do and play, otherwise we won't buy your music". But you non musicians *don't* buy the music, anyway. You generally either scoop up the free downloads or pirate it. So you've actually lost any bargaining power there - not that you had any with proper musicians, who'd just ignore you in the first place.

Musicians essentially do not play for an audience. The audience is just there. It pays its' way in. Except that USED to be the case. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 07 2019 at 06:43

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 06:56
^ Dave, your point is clear, but I hope you agree that it's very untypical, most of the artists (even if they make their music for the love of music) want bigger audience, want to be known. I think it's natural to be pleased when you see that what you're doing is interesting to other people too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 07:10

That statement above says "We non musicians can tell musicians what to do and play, otherwise we won't buy your music". But you non musicians *don't* buy the music, anyway. You generally either scoop up the free downloads or pirate it. So you've actually lost any bargaining power there - not that you had any with proper musicians, who'd just ignore you in the first place.

Completely wrong interpretation. No one can tell musicians what to do and play (unless you're Gerry Bron and the band you manage is called Uriah Heep). 
From the other hand, if you make music for years and very few people know it, isn't it a reason to think what's wrong? Usually artists get furious to hear this: "We have our VISION! Who are you to give us your silly advices?! Getouttaheregoddammotherf**ker! etc".

And please don't forget - actually we, non-musicians, buy music.

Edited by NotAProghead - January 07 2019 at 07:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 07:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Want it or not, the time of studio projects is over. The only way to get some money from your music is playing gigs and selling CDs (LPs and merch) at concerts. Am I wrong?
How do you make the CDs without the studio projects? Are you saying you should only sell live CDs?

I thought it's pretty simple. To make money artists have to tour and concerts are best place to sell your CDs, LPs (no matter are they studio or live). 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 08:15

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I thought it's pretty simple. To make money artists have to tour and concerts are best place to sell your CDs, LPs (no matter are they studio or live). 
But how do you make the studio CDs without "studio projects"?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 08:36
^ OK, for example, in 1966 The Beatles stopped playing gigs and only recorded albums, i.e. became what I call a "studio project". And lived quite well with album sales.
In the 70s, 80s, even 90s album sales gave big percentage of artists' income.

Now it's hardly possible to make a living on album sales only, artist have to tour. Arjen Lucassen is one of the few exceptions.
I say of the artists who can afford to make a living on playing music, without having another day job.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 09:37

^ Dave, your point is clear, but I hope you agree that it's very untypical, most of the artists (even if they make their music for the love of music) want bigger audience, want to be known. I think it's natural to be pleased when you see that what you're doing is interesting to other people too.

Hi NotAProghead, it is, and I'd do it for nothing (in fact, check the "free music" thread where I contribute a lot). 

There is a difference in doing a lot of free music and then having your music ripped off without permission, put on a download site and watching about a hundred copies every two months of the paid stuff being given away by someone else. 

It's honestly not the money, I can actually afford to lose it. It's the whole principle. This is just ... disrespect. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 09:39

And please don't forget - actually we, non-musicians, buy music.

......... this thread is about the (majority) of non-musicians who .... don't. ;-) 

My analytic data says that's well over 90%. Probably 95%, in fact........ sorry to have to correct you !! 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 10:01
^ I guess in this case musicians are not better than non-musicians, some people pay for music some don't. You can't know who, musicians or not, downloaded your music from illegal sites.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 03:54
That would be like not knowing how to actually gracefully lose an argument. ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>