Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pirated again !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 09:14
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Musicians essentially do not play for an audience.

Many would disagree, but it takes the firm belief that musicians are like THE prophets and have a precious flame to spread, for the magic thing with an audience to happen
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 16:26
I can see both sides in this (probably not surprising being some kind of half musician). It's a nonsense to say that "musicians play for an audience" in general and even more silly to say it in the face of a musician who has just stated the opposite. "Musicians don't need an audience at all" is nonsense as well as there are some who do and say so. Obviously both of these tribes of musicians exist and that's all fine. Musicians are a pretty heterogeneous bunch, also some pay for other musicians' music and some don't.

To me Davesax's attitude is totally legitimate; he should be able to decide what and how widely he wants to make his music available. Then on the other hand he's saying all the time "it's not about the money", but obviously there's also the option to  put whatever music you want to publish out there for free for anyone to have, and to not bother about pirates. It's not quite like stealing a picture in the sense that if somebody "steals" your music, you still have it, while the picture is gone. Somebody who listens to your music for free doesn't take anything away from you, not even "potential" money as long as they otherwise wouldn't have paid either.

Still at the end of the day it is helping music if we pay and it is hurting music if we don't; musicians have more money for equipment and maybe more time for music if they make some money and that makes music better. So it's a decent thing to pay, however if somebody has an appropriate budget to pay for music and spends that,  I don't mind if they get some more for free that they wouldn't have bought otherwise. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 03:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I can see both sides in this (probably not surprising being some kind of half musician). It's a nonsense to say that "musicians play for an audience" in general and even more silly to say it in the face of a musician who has just stated the opposite. "Musicians don't need an audience at all" is nonsense as well as there are some who do and say so. Obviously both of these tribes of musicians exist and that's all fine. Musicians are a pretty heterogeneous bunch, also some pay for other musicians' music and some don't.
It's s strange one, at a recent gig there was 1 person in the audience by the time we finished playing. You can either get really disheartened or treat it as a paid rehearsal. We went for the latter and took the opportunity to wander into the "audience" to hear what we sounded like.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 12:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's s strange one, at a recent gig there was 1 person in the audience by the time we finished playing. 

How many people were in the audience when you started playing? What do you think what's wrong? The audience or you, or your music?

Edited by NotAProghead - January 10 2019 at 12:32
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 13:06
It's s strange one, at a recent gig there was 1 person in the audience by the time we finished playing. You can either get really disheartened or treat it as a paid rehearsal. We went for the latter and took the opportunity to wander into the "audience" to hear what we sounded like.
[/QUOTE]

I had played a few gigs like that, where the band was larger that the audience .You just have to make the best of it sometimes. Like you said, paid rehearsal. 
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 02:25
Unfortunately, everybody does at some point. 

Non musicians tend to think that musicians somehow enjoy playing gigs and that the point of a musician is to go on stage and be adored or famous or rich or whatever. 

The point of being a musician is to play music. Well, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, opinions vary and some musicians live for playing gigs, but a fair few don't. Also, there's a difference between "playing a gig" and "playing for an audience". It only takes a few rowdy or disinterested (or non existant) audiences for you to realise that it's not all beer and skittles playing live music. 

Anyway, yes, some people love playing gigs, some don't. The role of the audience is an interesting one. An audience tends to think that musicians are playing for them - actually, a lot of musicans are actually having much more fun playing amongst themselves. If you took the audience away but left the money, I think a fair proportion of musicians would have an equally good time. 

Because I've been playing music so long - 43 years (probably too long ! ;-) ) I've realised that I've completely forgotten how non musicians think. I was having a chat with a friend at the train station today who's never realised I play saxophone. "Is it difficult ? " she said. "No, it's really easy to learn the basics, but to actually learn how to play takes a lifetime", I replied. We started talking, she'd had three piano lessons, that was it. Knowing "not a lot about music", she thought that Lady Gaga was very talented and creative. Basically, it was like two people from different planets having a chat. I'm trying to nicely say "well, if you want to listen to something interesting and creative..... " then I think I'm going to suggest Thelonious Monk to her and it'll go whoosh over her head. 

So part of the problem I find is that non musicians have no real idea of what it takes to become a musician, and therefore don't value anything a musician produces, and they also think that they have an idea about what being a musician is all about as they've listened to lots of music and gone to gigs. 

Which is simply not the case. They don't seem to realise that they just have no real understanding. They have an opinion, great. But the internet seems to be showing up the fact that a lot of people value their opinions higher than expert knowledge - what they think they know is more important than the facts themselves and if you stop listening to those facts, you'll be in blissful ignorance. 

Anyway. I seem to have drifted into a "non musician versus musician" post, rather than a "piracy bad" post. Musicians will keep being pirated, and devalued, if non musicians fail to realise how much work and dedication goes into becoming a musician. It takes decades of hard, hard work to become good. With bands who are just starting up, yes, they'll keep producing music until they get totally disheartened by being ripped off, but they'll get disheartened before they mature and become good. End result, musicians jump ship. Don't assume that they won't just play amongst themselves, not every one of them needs or necessarily wants to do live music in front of an audience. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 02:32
PS Thought just occurred to me. It's all about respect. 

When your "audience of fans" stop buying music, hoover up the free stuff, don't contribute anything, rip you off and put your back catalogue on a free download website, they show you complete disrespect. Well, that's what 90% of them do nowadays. 

If that's the audience, excuse me if I reply with the same amount of disrespect and stop playing for them. 

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 06:14
I disagree that respecting a band means giving money, because there are lots of bands that obviously worked hard and play so well and deserve a lot of respect, but their vibes just don't fit to ours. 

Won't we support our soul brothers and give money etc, even if we don't think they play that well and worked that hard, because their music has power on us, and we want more, so we invest...!?

Edited by jayem - January 11 2019 at 06:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 06:17
Well, OK, how about "disrespecting a band means ripping their music off and putting their entire back catalogue on a pirate download site " ? 

I don't think I actually mentioned money. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 11 2019 at 06:17

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 06:24
Those pirates are definitely not fans, otherwise they'd at least contact the musicians and offer partnership etc. However, if we discover music that touches us on pirated website, won't there will be the same natural drive for us to go and look for a way to show appreciation and support the band, as if we did discover them in the CD store ?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 07:19
OK, we're agreed they're not fans. ;-)

Now, to expand the argument. You have, say, 500 followers on Bandcamp. 10 percent of them pay for music, 90 percent don't. 

When you put up an album for free, there are hundreds of downloads.
When you charge anything at all for it, there are no downloads. 

Are these fans ? Or just hangers on and freeloaders ? I expect all the musicians here have the same proportions of payers when it comes to music. 

So. 90% of your fans are just freeloaders, at best. A proportion will pirate your music onto a download site. Some audience. ;-)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 05:00
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

However, if we discover music that touches us on pirated website, won't there will be the same natural drive for us to go and look for a way to show appreciation and support the band, as if we did discover them in the CD store ?

You can go elsewhere to discover music in the first place.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 05:17
Maybe the term "fan" is not quite right? I'm not necessarily a "fan" of what I like, I may like to listen to the music, it may give me a lot, still I may not be interested in any further "fan stuff" such as merchandise, being in contact with the musicians, picking up stuff just for completeness etc. The key communication between a musician and me happens when I listen to the music, same if somebody else listens to my music. What goes on on the musicians' website or elsewhere in most cases doesn't interest me much, apart from listening to good music. Music is for the ears! I pay for music but this is in the first place for rational and general ethical reasons as explained above, I just think it's "the right thing" to do, not for paying personal respect or communication. I may leave the odd "this is great" note to musicians because I know it's appreciated and they deserve it. However, the stuff that really matters to me is when listening and not at any other time on any other channel. And as a musician I like if people listen to it and like it but I don't mind much whether they throw money at me or not, neither do I mind much if I don't get any feedback. (Actually I have never even given anyone a chance to pay for my music as a "fan".) 

Davesax: In my perception it seems somewhat inconsistent that on one hand you state that you don't make your music for an audience in the first place and you can quite happily be without audience other than musicians with whom you play, but on the other hand you seem to mind quite a lot how the audience that you have actually behaves and it bothers you so much that most of them don't pay and just listen.

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 08:13
No crime meant there. Piracy platforms happen to provide the simpliest ways to discover music (typically obscure albums on which no sample is available to listen to on amazon / bandcamp etc), and they don't always call themselves by their name... Once again this doesn't prevent us from supporting whatever band would deliver "magic"

Edited by jayem - January 12 2019 at 08:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Davesax: In my perception it seems somewhat inconsistent that on one hand you state that you don't make your music for an audience in the first place and you can quite happily be without audience other than musicians with whom you play, but on the other hand you seem to mind quite a lot how the audience that you have actually behaves and it bothers you so much that most of them don't pay and just listen.

Hi Lewian, no inconsistency. 

I don't play for an audience, that's right, but there's no inconsistency in complaining when an audience appears and completely wipes their posteriors with you, in the vast majority of cases. 

It just convinces me more that I don't actually want an audience. ;-)

Also. The point about copyright is this.... it allows an author of some artwork to determine how the artwork is distributed and to what audiences. I'd be upset if some rap artist sampled me. When you absolutely lose control of what you've made, it's a very unpleasant situation. 

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 11:14
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

So. 90% of your fans are just freeloaders, at best. A proportion will pirate your music onto a download site. Some audience. ;-)

Well, you can be a pessimist and be upset with how the current state of digital technology has changed the world...

Or you can be an optimist and, assuming your assertion is correct, view the piracy as a sign of success in today's world. Because if 90% of your listeners are pirates, then 9 people pirating your album means one album sale, 90 pirates would mean 10 sales, etc. Perhaps 0 pirates mean your music isn't even worth listening to for free.

Not saying you have to change your views, but this is just how I see it. Piracy is not something that will go away very easily in a world where it's trivial to transfer a couple hundred MB over the internet. You can threaten to stop making music, but that's an empty threat because someone else with a different perspective will keep on releasing their own stuff.

Edited by ForestFriend - January 12 2019 at 11:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 03:45
Well, that's true enough, but - having done all the analytics (marketing and sales are my day job), $1300 worth of pirating equals no sales. ;-)

Unfortunately, I choose neither to be an optimist or pessimist but a realist. 

Again, it's not about the money or sales, but a basic reasonable two way relationship with artists and listeners. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not angry about this, just throwing up my hands in utter frustration with the way some people behave (or rather, how most people behave). It's just the internet and the modern world.  

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 13 2019 at 03:51

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:11
It took one week to have my new album pirated. I know I wouldn't get any money from the site users but I just don't get why share a low-quality download link when anyone can stream it for free on Bandcamp with the same quality. Particularly when I work on this site that divulge music without infringing copyright, there's no excuse for this.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:14
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Please share links to the sites so I can get my music on there as well.

LOL!!!   I was thinking that as well Big smileBig smileBig smile
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:16
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It took one week to have my new album pirated. I know I wouldn't get any money from the site users but I just don't get why share a low-quality download link when anyone can stream it for free on Bandcamp with the same quality. Particularly when I work on this site that divulge music without infringing copyright, there's no excuse for this.

Perhaps because some streaming services and websites are blocked in certain countries. Not everyone lives in a free country.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>