Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A question about the influence of The Mars Volta
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A question about the influence of The Mars Volta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question about the influence of The Mars Volta
    Posted: November 02 2018 at 01:43
I've heard that The Mars Volta happen to be an incredibly influential band in the modern prog scene. Would I be correct in saying that they were one of the pioneers of the kind of sound they have? With the strong influence of the post hardcore/alternative rock scene of their time and the generally chaotic, hyperactive nature of them?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 04:12
Not sure about influential as that entails other acts actually building upon their sound...but unique in their approach to prog and how one can rejuvinate King Crimson-like riffs and marry them together with post hardcore? Very much so.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 04:29
Definitely influential, though many of the people here may not be familiar with some of the bands influenced by The Mars Volta. Thank You Scientist, to name but one, have a very strong MV vibe in their sound, and a very energetic, somewhat anarchic stage presence.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 07:58
Seven Impale have some Volta riffs on their Contrapasso.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 11:49
Thanks!  I must confess to being very behind in my listening, I know almost nothing of The Mars Volta (great band name BTW), if I were to listen to a single song/album, what would be their definitive work?  Best holiday wishes, Chuck in Chicago!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 13:15
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks!  I must confess to being very behind in my listening, I know almost nothing of The Mars Volta (great band name BTW), if I were to listen to a single song/album, what would be their definitive work?  Best holiday wishes, Chuck in Chicago!  

IMO, their best work remains their first album, De-loused in the Comatorium. The follow-up, Frances the Mute, is about as good. After that, their output drops off, but Noctourniquet (the last one) is alright.

Edited by verslibre - December 09 2018 at 14:12
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 13:39
The first one is the best one to start if you want something very catchy and modern. (de loused)
If you want to have something that is pretentious but also mind blowing, take Frances The Mute
The third one is similar to the second but more progressive less accessible and a bit less pretentious, but overlong, so maybe too hard to swallow for the first time listener. This one needed some time to grow on me. Now it is one of my favourites by them.
Number 4 lets some peoples ears bleed... so be warned. It takes all the complexities of the work right before and puts it into hyper speed hyper noisy relatively short songs and lets the sound appear to be relatively muddy and with little variation. Only if you want to be catapulted into another sphere at your first listen.

So these first 4 are all equally good in my opinion or are at least the essential ones.
I d recommend Frances The Mute as it is maybe the most representative in its mix and will definitely blow your mind completely nuts.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 04:23
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Number 4 lets some peoples ears bleed... so be warned. It takes all the complexities of the work right before and puts it into hyper speed hyper noisy relatively short songs and lets the sound appear to be relatively muddy and with little variation. Only if you want to be catapulted into another sphere at your first listen.

#4 (The Bedlam In Goliath) was the first one I listened to and it did blow my mind but it is a chaotic, insane type of record and I mean that in only the best way.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 05:15
The Bedlam in Goliath is very uneven. There are some great songs, but others go on a bit too long, and come across as rather self-indulgent. On the other hand, Amputechture (their third) has become a fast favourite of mine. I'd even place it slightly above Frances the Mute. Octahedron is also a good bet for those who like shorter songs. Not too impressed with their final offering, Nocturniquet, though there are some very goods songs on it too.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 19:33
very inspired by TMV

Post Reply Post Reply