Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rachel Flowers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nycfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rachel Flowers
    Posted: November 03 2018 at 15:09
Has anyone heard of Rachel Flowers? 

If not...
Ladies and Gentlemen. Prog lovers of all nations let me introduce to you the greatest, most versatile musician on the planet...

Ms. Rachel Flowers!
I've been following this young lady since she was 13 years old. (yes I know how creepy that sounds) LOL

She is an accomplished Pianist and Flutist who can play the entire ELP catalog. No not just the keys but the bass and drums as well. 

She has recorded faithful covers of artist like Frank Zappa, Jaco Pastorius, Joe Satriani. 
Bands like Gentle Giant, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, and many others.  

Every instrument you hear is played by her. The drums are programmed and performed by her. 
All Bass, Guitar, Keys, Chapman Stick, Horns, Vocals are performed and recorded by her at her home recording studio in her bedroom.

Oh...and did I mention...She's blind! 

Check her out. She is going to blow your mind. 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rachel+flowers
Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers-1

Comment on this forum. 
Tell us what you think of her talents. 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 15:19
 Of course we've heard of Rachel, she's been around for years and is a great talent.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 16:19
yeah OP she has .. and rightfully so.. quite a legion of fans on the site. She is quite the talent.  Perhaps our resident poet Laureate Pedro will drop in and whip up a few stanza's praising her talent and genius.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 16:56
Pass
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 20:56
Moved to General Music Discussions. Thanks for heads up.
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 22:10
Originally posted by Nycfunk Nycfunk wrote:

The drums are programmed and performed by her.
Small correction.  The drums are not programmed, she performs them on a midi keyboard.  On the Zomby Woof video it is in the bottom right corner.  Watch the Zomby Woof live stream to hear the drums in isolation.
Nycfunk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nycfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 17:36
Small correction.  The drums are not programmed, she performs them on a midi keyboard.  On the Zomby Woof video it is in the bottom right corner.  Watch the Zomby Woof live stream to hear the drums in isolation.

You're right, my terminology was off. I used the incorrect term to describe her drumming abilities. 

Glad she is known and spoken about here. I got to meet her once and she is a one of kind amazing human being. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 10:27
Her covers are great, but she has yet to produce a predominantly prog album. When she does, I will be the first to promote her addition. Her playing and story are absolutely amazing and inspirational.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 05:55
She has a prog album of her own, so I reiterate the suggestion for inclusion

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 05:56

about to be released

Edited by octopus-4 - November 06 2018 at 05:58
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 07:38
Hi,

When one thinks of "Progressive Music", one seems to always aspire to something that is "bigger" and "better" than most conventional music on the top ten world.

The one sad element, now and then, is, how folks forget that fact when they post and opine in this board, and the number of youngsters that simply post about their favorite band, and are not capable of listening to something else, or different in their ears ... saying that lightly, not harshly, please.

One of the greatest compliments to how great some music is, is all around us, but we only look at rock songs, and not a history of any kind of instrumentation that could go back as far as a 1000 years or more. So, you checking out JoJoBlahblah doing Albinoni's "Adagio in Prog G", ,means absolutely nothing to many folks, including how music was known and came to be known at that time, when there was no radio, no tv, no ipod, no "media" per se (newspapers are a 1850's and later thing) ... but at the least, it gives you an idea of how music appreciation goes.

My examples are simple ...

If you listen to Rachel Flowers, first do this ... put on the ELP's Tarkus album ... and loud ... so you can hear the long piece. Now go sit on the porch for 5 minutes and think on that piece. Then go inside and bring out the PIANO version of Tarkus by Rachel Flowers. I think you will find, this is an incredible piece of music, and that what Rachel has done, is simply showing what a magnificent composer Keith Emerson was, but he is not entitled to that because this is the time of electricity and rock noise, not MUSIC!

The second example is more subtle, but you need a super/hyper stereo to hear it ... put on KC's Starless and Bible Black from the album, kinda loud. Then go back to the porch and have your smoke. Now go inside and put on Rachel Flowers version of it ... guess what she did? She added all the little teeny weenie touches that Bill Bruford used to do when he was "bored", just to add something that made the music better and more interesting ... and you can hear this on Rachel's version, when in the original, these were partially hidden, because .... it wasn't music ... or the producers didn't think that something that stupid, should be there!

I don't know, what is supposed to be history or not in music and the arts. But I know when I see something special that you and I will never see again, or ever have the chance to experience it. That moment, in time, will live forever in my heart as one of the few things that stood out that made my life worth living ... and inspired me for days and days on end.

This, is what "art" and "music" is all about. And seeing someone like Rachel Flowers play all these different things, is just ... an amazing achievement, that most of us can not conceive or understand, or appreciate ... and then turn around and pull off a piano concerto ... that should embarrass all the progressive folks that think all of this is just a song ... sorry my friends, it's more than a song, or most of us would not have bothered.

Where do you stand in this progressive music thing? Ohhhh ... wait ... I gotta go get my fix of that evil dark prog rock!  Cool

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:55
hahah...  oh Pedro...  if you and that silver tongue of yours ever show up at my doorstop with a bottle of wine... 

Ill make you scream man like you never have before....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 21:00
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

She has a prog album of her own, so I reiterate the suggestion for inclusion

I listened to Listen long ago and it definitely falls short of a fit for PA. I didn't know she had new stuff out. I'll be listening as soon as I can.

Edited by Tapfret - November 06 2018 at 21:01
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 20:13
I listened to the 3 songs available on Bandcamp. I really don't think her original material fits on PA. The songs I heard today are pretty poppy. I can't see her cover material qualifying as the songs, amazing as they are, are not really official releases.
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 14:19
I agree Rachel has not produced a Prog album yet.  There are some more rock'ish tracks on the album:
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 14:53
I bought Listen on the back of her show-stopping performance on the Keith Emerson Tribute Concert in Birmingham. Some good stuff, but slightly underwhelmed by the range of styles. It would be great to see her release a proper prog album - maybe a mix of covers and originals. She is a real star, though!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply