Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson: Red

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 11:42
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

However, still the weak part of the album (as seems to be the case with many) is Providence... .

Someone on the site once refereed to Providence as a "boat anchor"
 I thought that was pretty accurate. 

That was me Wink  

My point was if they wanted to include an improv, there were so many better ones from the '74 tour (The Golden Walnut, A Voyage to the Centre of the Cosmos, Is There Life Out There?, etc).  OTOH, I've read that Fripp was nearly impossible to work with in the studio while recording Red (refusing to make decisions and taking passive aggression to a new level) so maybe Providence was all they could agree on LOL
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 12:37
^ That could be, It's definitely the weak link on that album. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 12:40
A behemoth, and my second-favourite studio album from first-phase KC after LTIA.

Though it must be said that if I was choosing my top ten KC recordings none of them would be studio albums.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 06:29
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

[QUOTE=Argo2112][QUOTE=Dellinger]However, still the weak part of the album (as seems to be the case with many) is Providence... .

Anyone who thinks Providence is weak just hasn't "got it".

I fully sympathise.  I used to skip this track for many many years.  I thought it was a jumbled mess and I couldn't make and sense of it.  I thought it was weak and ill conceived.

But one day I didn't skip it and everything just connected for me when I played it and I understood it.

I love Providence now, and, rather than skipping it, I skip straight to it.  I regard it as the second best track on the album, behind Starless..

I think of the track as lots of individual strands of music that sit in opposition to each other until they are drawn together by John Wetton's bassline, which is the key to the whole track.

Here the bass guitar, rather than being a backing instrument, comes to the fore and brings the whole piece together.  The other instruments then assemble around Wetton's bassline and disharmony is transformed into harmony as the instruments start to play in unison.

Wetton's strong bass line rift dominates the track as it comes to a close taking the other instruments with it.

Love this track now and its definitely not the weak link on Red.

Songs cast a light on you
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 11:53
The first two are still the most 'accessible' imo.....though there are accessible songs on all of their albums.
Red is my second favorite after ITCOTCK.....not sure why but it really resonates with me...probably due to Starless. I have 3 copies...2 on cd and one on original vinyl.....so it's an important one for me.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 12:43
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

There are no weak tracks on Red. That's a myth.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 13:08
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">There are no weak tracks on Red. That's a myth.

Yep. Agree with that. Every track is top class.
Songs cast a light on you
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 00:14
Red is their best imo. I love every single second of it and bought the Road To Red box set which is my most expensive music purchase. One the best prog albums and makes my top ten easily.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 20:24
My least favorite from my most favorite period. I like Lark's Tongues and Starless and Bible Black so much better. I particularly love the live improvs on SABB. Of the tracks on Red, the most brilliant I think is Providence, once again a live improv.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 20:35
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

My least favorite from my most favorite period. I like Lark's Tongues and Starless and Bible Black so much better. I particularly love the live improvs on SABB. Of the tracks on Red, the most brilliant I think is Providence, once again a live improv.

I agree with everything you said up until Providence. That's my least favorite. I much prefer the improv on SABB. I'll admit "starless" is one of their best tracks ever but other than that the album doesn't go beyond the first two or LTIA in my opinion. I'll never really understand the appeal of "red" in particular. I like the intro part but most of the track is just way too repetitive(not to mention too long). It's a six minute song that should have been three minutes imo.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 01:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">There are no weak tracks on Red. That's a myth.

I agree. Every track a gem.

These days I'm probably loving Fallen Angel most of all.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 02:01
Yes its all great and I can understand how Providence isn't a standout-track on its own but it certainly works perfectly within the album-context. To me it does. Apart from King Crimson there's not a whole lot of bands I can think of that really nails "free rock improvs". A lot of times it comes across like the directionless amateur-jams it often is. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 04:14
Imagine if Fracture had replaced Providence... don't worry providence, the edit on the album or the full version with the funky guitar part... (Great Deceiver I think). For the most part the album is stunning, crucial and has one of the most awesome classics ever - Starless.

Talk about going out on top...
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 05:33
I don´t think King Crimson can be called accessible at all. There is not a single accessible crimso rec. Except for the first one maybe.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 05:55
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

I don´t think King Crimson can be called accessible at all. There is not a single accessible crimso rec. Except for the first one maybe.

I think some of the 80's KC is fairly accessable. Some tracks off Thrak! and The Power to Beleive are also not too hard on the ear either IMO.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 06:03
Yeah you´re right I was excluding the later ones. Just till Red. That was a really wild phase.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 08:44
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Yeah you´re right I was excluding the later ones. Just till Red. That was a really wild phase.

It was indeed. I hadn't listened to KC for a while, but after going to see them a few weeks back, I dug out al of those albums and have been playing them to death. I forgot how much I enjoyed Lizard. That seems to be a divisive album.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 09:13
King Crimson is just the best.  That's what I think.  Even their lower rated albums are better than most band's best.  Beat gets a bum wrap because it's a bit misunderstood, but since I figured out it had to do with The Beat Generation, it makes more sense.  Thrak is definitely rated too low as it is one of my favorites.  But Red is also always one of my favorites all around along with Lark's Tongue. 

But I just love them all.  Even the projekcts.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 11:05
2 things about "Starless"

1)  the main instrumental melody is VERY similar to that of "Exiles"
2)  the vocal parts seem quite similar in style to Procol Harum

Discuss Big smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 11:59
^ Similar...not very similar imho...they are both mellotron drenched slow ballads for the most part.....and
many Procol Harum tracks are also slow keyboard drenched ballads. So the cadence (no pun intended...) is bound to be similar at times. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>