Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 01:24
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Referendums are not legally binding, however, David Cameron made it clear that this was a "once in a generation vote" which would settle the issue for decades to come.

To now try to re-run the vote because the ruling classes didn't get the result they wanted would completely destroy the public's already fragile faith in democracy in our country.

The result must stand, for good or for bad, and only time will tell which it is

He did indeed, although I think it constituted the biggest political miscalculation of the 21st century (so far) Cameron misjudged the British Zeitgeist, and was convinced Remain would win the vote. He called that referendum for purely selfish reasons; to make it appear he was 'listening' the British people, and that was the problem, he didn't really know what was going on in his own country.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 01:45
David Cameron gambled and lost.

He offered a referendum because he thought it would be another hung parliament (as all the polls were suggesting) and he would never actually have to go through with it.

Then the Tories won the election and he was forced to go through with it.

He needed to put down the euro skeptics in his own party and halt the rise of UKIP that was threatening to take Tory seats.

A huge miscalculation I certainly agree.
Songs cast a light on you
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 07:58
So many Conservative resignations today I'm minded of the Monty Python sketch about two men in an office seeing people fall by their window and betting with each other which chairman will be next

https://youtu.be/EjBt5XpEezk

Edited by AZF - November 15 2018 at 08:02
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 03:10
Oh yes, Tory meltdown. 

By the same token, I've been a lifelong old school Labour voter. Do I think Jeremy Corbyn would do a better job ? I'm afraid not. 

We have a completely blundering and odious party in control and no real alternatives. Rudderless ship as we go over the Brexit waterfall. 

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 04:16
A total mess. But then the voters voted for no clear leadership at the last general election, and that's exactly what we've got.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 05:28
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Oh yes, Tory meltdown. 

By the same token, I've been a lifelong old school Labour voter. Do I think Jeremy Corbyn would do a better job ? I'm afraid not. 

We have a completely blundering and odious party in control and no real alternatives. Rudderless ship as we go over the Brexit waterfall. 

Probably for a different thread but the fact David Cameron (and I'm a lot better at typing his name these days without gghtfdryhjnb etc!) was very, very keen for the hopeless prick to be on the leadership ballot suddenly makes a lot of sense.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 06:28
There's no-one in UK politics who can sort this mess out. 
Jeremy Corbyn is definitely not the answer. 
He might be the answer to the UK's immigration worries.  If he becomes PM I think a large part of the UK population will be emigrating, myself included, so we'll have net emigration which should please the anti-immigration brigade.

What we have now is a total capitulation by the UK government.

I was always of the view that we should either be 100% in or 100% out.

This "half way house" position is the absolute worst of all worlds.

Whether you're Leave or Remain you cannot say that what Theresa May is proposing is Brexit in any shape or form.

The voters have been deceived, and our once proud country has been utterly humiliated.

I would rather crash out with no deal, whatever the disruption that causes, than accept this utter humiliation and embarrassment of a "deal".  A deal that leaves us in the EU but in a worse position than we are now.  Still accepting free movement of people, still in the customs union so we cannot enter into trade agreements with other countries, and still under the jurisdiction of the ECJ.

A vassal state, accepting EC rules, but with no say in their formation, and tied to this arrangement potentially in perpetuity.

I feel ashamed to be British.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 06:32
And best of all when it falls apart and the UK stays it will have to adopt EU laws that nobody voted for as they thought we were leaving!
Well played.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 07:07
The problem is:

The British people voted for Brexit.

Whether you think that was a wise decision or a foolish decision the problem was that the Brexit architects then walked off the stage and left it to people who didn't really believe in Brexit to deliver it.

The result is what we've got: a complete dogs dinner.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 09:50
Norway is not in the EU yet we stil has to aplie EUregulations in our day-to-day life, like taxation and fees.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 10:19
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Norway is not in the EU yet we stil has to aplie EUregulations in our day-to-day life, like taxation and fees.

Indeed you do, which is the reason why die hard Brexiters would never accept a Norway type arrangement in the EEA, but die hard Remainers would be perfectly happy with it as the nearest thing to staying in.

With this, as with everything else to do with the EU and Brexit, the U.K. Is absolutely split down the middle, with neither side capable of compromise, because they hold such opposing views.

Cameron will go down as one of the worst Prime Ministers in Britain's history for prompting this unutterable mess (whether you are a leaver or remainer). Both sides told the most awful lies in the referendum, and, equally, most politicians completely misjudged the mood of an electorate utterly fed up with those who they saw responsible for the relative income poverty they found themselves suffering from as a result of globalisation and other dopey political and economic systems.

As a long standing fan of Private Eye, and a long suffering civil servant working for incompetent governments of all colours, all I can do is stand back and admire the sheer incompetence at play here.

Crimson put it well, actually. Confusion will be my epitaph, as I cross a cracked and broken path. If we make it, we can all sit back and laugh, but I fear tomorrow I'll be crying......

Uncertain times, indeed.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 10:20

And are Norwegian people generally happy with that state of affairs?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 07:48
yeah.. following this in that interested yet distracted way...  it does seem like this is going to be one hell of a trainwreck.  It really does some in UK are in big need of a reality check, they have little to no leverage short of dancing on a cliff that can hurt the EU badly but wreck the UK, and it does seem the EU is holding firm to its lines in the sand and will be giving it to them.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 09:07
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

And are Norwegian people generally happy with that state of affairs?
it is a devide in opinion about that some are celebrating/curtailing it others mostly anti-EU partys are opposing it, the same partys also oposes NATO-membersip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 09:12
For another perspective which i find interesting but by no means have concluded to be regarded as absolute fact, this show with Webster Tarpley tackles the idea that the idea of the whole Brexit thing was for the UK to buddy up with China and sort of become the Switzerland banking haven for its wealth accumulation. 

Well worth the listen. I'm no expert on the subject but try to tackle many interesting perspectives by scholarly folk.

Behind the Brexit: The British Oligarchy's Deal With China - Webster Griffin Tarpley, #349

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 09:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Indeed you do, which is the reason why die hard Brexiters would never accept a Norway type arrangement in the EEA, but die hard Remainers would be perfectly happy with it as the nearest thing to staying in.

With this, as with everything else to do with the EU and Brexit, the U.K. Is absolutely split down the middle, with neither side capable of compromise, because they hold such opposing views.

All this is saying is that the press and politicians have been at a dis-information convention for so long, that no one knows or understands what it is all about.

It is, OBVIOUS, why some Britts would not want to be in there ... easy ... very easy ... the upper class wants the trade controls so they can profit from it ... and take the money for their lavish affairs that their newspapers make them look like they are so cool, using tax money ... nothing like even more "fake news", about someone's colored bra!

An European union as is right now, is a threat to the control of the rich, by the rich, for the rich ... and no one else, because a group of folks "decides" where the money goes when their part arrives. And this is the real battle that is going on in England ... they are trying to hide this fact amidst some of the worst comments and information I have ever seen. Even Trump isn't that bad!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 17:09
As an American, it seems to me that Brexit was caused by the same nationalist tendencies that our idiot president, the Mango Mussolini, is railing on about, all part of a surge of alt-right partisanship across Europe and the U.S.

To stay or leave the EU seems a no-win situation in either case. On the one hand, I can understand the desire for self-determination, unfettered by what may be construed as foreign interference; on the other, as I said, I am not sure the reason for leaving is altogether healthy, what with the scepter of fascism shadowing much of Europe. I have no solution. I wish you luck.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 18:21
^ yeah.. that was sort of the first shoe to drop wasn't it.s

At least our mistake is temporary.. they'll have to live with that one.  Not helped at all by the leaders there wanting to cherry pick as they leave.. take what they like from EU membership but not take what they don't.

No real dog in the fight.. but sort of happy and hoping the EU continues to play hardball with the UK. They wanted out.. fine.. get out... but you don't get to get the benefits you enjoyed previously out the door with you.

Personally it seems to me lmuch of drove Brexit was .. surprise surprise by the open borders aspect of it and ethnic/nationalistic fears  issues more than any economic self determination.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 18:43
[QUOTE=siLLy puPPy]For another perspective which i find interesting but by no means have concluded to be regarded as absolute fact, this show with Webster Tarpley tackles the idea that the idea of the whole Brexit thing was for the UK to buddy up with China and sort of become the Switzerland banking haven for its wealth accumulation. 

Ok, I listened to this.  The guy has some interesting things to say, but he would never get away with this commentary in the UK because a lot of the things he says are just plain wrong.

He says that Scotland is the poorest part of the UK and the further north you go the poorer it gets!  Wrong!  Aberdeen in the north of Scotland is one of the wealthiest cities in the UK due to all of the oil revenue from the off shore oil industry.

He then claims that Britain keeps Northern Ireland in the UK by force, using the British Army, against the will of the local population!  Wrong!  The population of Northern Ireland is predominantly Unionist (they are descended from (often) Scottish settlers who were sent to Northern Ireland in the seventeenth century.  They are strongly pro British and want to remain part of the UK, rather than become part of the Irish Republic.  They are not being kept in the UK by British force.

I find his claim that Britain has forged a secret alliance with China to unseat the USA as the dominant world power to be a ridiculous suggestion.  His only evidence for this claim is that Xi Jinping visited the UK in 2015.  The UK was sucking up to China because, after the Brexit vote, they need to generate as much trade with countries outside the EU as possible.

It's good to get a foreign perspective on Brexit.  We get too caught up in the UK Brexit bubble I think, but this guy needs to do some more homework before his next Brexit talk.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 19:01
^ thanks for your perspective. I've never heard anyone else make these claims so i thought i'd post it here to see if anyone who actually lives in the UK knows anything about it. Apparently this is one major strike against his take on things. Cheers, mate!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>