Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no doubt...and I'm quite sure a lot of thought has gone into this on the EU side... but for many of those reasons one can see the EU (has and is) playing hardball with the U.K. 

I do think the complete f**kery that is plainly on display out of the UK on how they have handled this will likely not lead the EU to extend any deadline. Again.. if there was any hope that it might make a difference.. then yeah. One could see it, but otherwise.. it is just delaying the enitable. The UK will have the binary choice..  crash out.. and burn... or revoke Art. 50 and perhaps come back later once there is a political will to stomach some unpleasant realties that leaving will entail. 

I agree that the Corbyn sh*t show doesn't help matters at all. But I remember even in the immediate aftermath of the brexit referendum results, the reactions from EU were very hardline and hostile. Look, when the people of a country made a choice, it has to be respected no matter how disagreeable the choice they may be. EU does not run Britain's govt anyway and it was not for them to comment on the decision. They should instead have offered a divorce on amicable terms. That would have been the adult and rational thing to do. If Britain has behaved like a pampered school brat oblivious of its true place in the 21st century world order, EU has been like Marie Antoinette in its attitude. Yeah, keep playing hardball until the EU itself breaks up.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 10:21
Bear in mind that, if the UK crashes out with no deal, the biggest impact will not be on the UK.

The biggest impact will be on the Republic of Ireland.

80% of Ireland's exports pass through the UK.

Most if it's beef exports are to the UK (and Ireland has a big rural economy). Beef would attract 60% tariffs in a no deal scenario, which would cripple the Irish beef industry.

Ireland has already told the EU it will need to be bailed out in a no deal Brexit scenario

The pain certainly would not be confined to the UK
Songs cast a light on you
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 02:57
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

The last civil war in the UK was 500 years ago. The country has been through several rough times in the interim (including two world wars) without any sign of massive internal strife. Never happen. 

Well I don't think the UK has been this divided in a very long time. Certainly not in living memory.

The world wars united the country against an external enemy, but this has split the country internally between different age groups, social classes, UK countries and ethnic groups.

The good news is that, in my experience, leavers and remainers are able to talk through the issues together without animosity, so that bodes well.

I hope you're right. What I do think is that if the government attempted to cancel Brexit then what little faith the ordinary people of our country have left in democracy would be gone forever.

That would be the ideal opportunity, and justification to bring in the dictatorship they've probably always wanted..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 03:01
Holding a referendum on EU membership was the biggest political miscalculation by a UK Prime Minister, since Suez.

If I were Vladimir Putin, I'd be very happy right now, especially with the US going down the sh*t pan too. Good days!
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 06:23
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

If I were Vladimir Putin, I'd be very happy right now, especially with the US going down the sh*t pan too. Good days!

I agree with you that Putin has played a blinder.

When I was in Russia a couple of years ago the Russians were telling me that "Putin is a genius".  I didn't pay much attention to the comment at the time, but now I'm thinking they might be right.

The last couple of years have definitely gone Putin's way

However, that doesn't mean that I think leaving the EU is necessarily the wrong thing for the UK to do.  It's about what's right for the UK, not about what's right or wrong for Putin.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 06:36
Hi,

We'll see what happens with this ... today I think is the day!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 06:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

She's going to lose.

It's what she announces after the vote that's more significant
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 11:01
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

She's going to lose.

It's what she announces after the vote that's more significant

And Corbychops blew his chance for No Confidence vote opportunity!
That said my Poll Clerk people asked me if I was up for this year's council elections.
And I also mentioned an interest should anything else like this pop up.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 14:45
And Corbychops blew his chance for No Confidence vote opportunity!
[/QUOTE]

Biggest defeat for a UK government in history!

I think that sums up just how bad the Theresa May deal was.

Jeremy Corbyn is only interested in Jeremy Corbyn, and not the country.

The vote of no confidence in the government is a waste of time.  I expect the government to win, even though, in normal times, a defeat like this would be the end of the government and the Prime Minister, but these are not normal times.

What next?  Concessions from the EU?  Unlikely, but you never know.

Another referendum?  Highly unlikely in my opinion.

An extension of Article 50 beyond 29th March?  Now odds on I would say

But if the EU won't play ball then a no deal exit on 29th March looks more and more likely.

I'm starting to think what I might need in my Brexit bunker.  Apparently toilet paper could be in short supply... I don't remember that slogan being on the side of a bus
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 14:59
Yep. Back to wiping one's arse with newspaper. A very apt metaphor for modern day Britain.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 15:03
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Yep. Back to wiping one's arse with newspaper. A very apt metaphor for modern day Britain.

I can't think of anything better to do with most of our newspapers Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:43
hahah.. I do have to admit.. I got a wild hair up my ass to watch the proceedings live.

by God.. that was fun.   It you all's version of C-Span isn't rocking the ratings there is really something wrong with you all.   You all make our Congress look boring and staid...  POINT OF ORDER hahaha

anyhow...  wildly curious to see how this goes over the next several weeks...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 02:46
Well, howwwwls of derisive laughter after last night. Now, of course, all the Tories will close ranks and the Government will survive a no confidence vote. 

It's really like being stuck on a roundabout without any exits. Let alone Brexits. 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 03:58
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Well, howwwwls of derisive laughter after last night. Now, of course, all the Tories will close ranks and the Government will survive a no confidence vote. 

It's really like being stuck on a roundabout without any exits. Let alone Brexits. 

Indeed, and in fact the last thing we want now is a general election t add to the chaos. Most of enjoy watching the tories being de-throned, but what exactly is Mr Corbyn's plan if elected?? No one seems to know.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 05:37
I haven't commented on this here yet but I just add a few words.
1) The referendum voted for Brexit but not for hard Brexit, that was never on the table and may well have lost, so it doesn't make sense to state that this would have been the will of the people. The 52% who voted for Brexit had quite differing ideas of what that actually means.

2) The EU had negotiations with the elected UK government and they have agreed a deal. I don't think the EU can be blamed for not taking into account that UK parliament would not support its own elected government. The government has represented the UK in the negotiations; if their position is not in line with their own parliament, that's a UK issue, not an EU issue, and therefore it is wrong to blame the EU for anything that went wrong here.  If the UK is not happy with the line its own government goes, they better elect another. Boris Johnson had the chance to become PM after Brexit but didn't want to do it, I think he rather wanted to see somebody else fail; I can only hope that the Tories and the UK people don't forget what a snake in the grass he is. He has some major responsibility for the state in which the country is now.

3) My subjective probability for the government to lose the confidence vote today is 65%. I'm really not sure but their majority is wafer thin and it only takes a few votes of people who are rightly embarrassed to let a government go on that was shredded to tears by its own party over months (let alone a coalition partner who never left any doubt that it'd vote the government down on the key issue of their term) and suffered the biggest defeat in history on one of the biggest issues the parliament ever voted on.

4) Not sure whether this was said in this thread but I've heard in many places that the government and the politicians in general let the British people down. Oh well, the British people themselves are of course totally innocent not thinking of Northern Ireland, Scotland, the dealings of Mr Putin and the fact that the EU needs to care for itself rather than being nice to Britain in case Britain leaves, and instead being mesmerised by Mrs Farage and Johnson. Oh and then such a nice riddle of a general election result that would of course have been totally easy to deal with by the politicians, but no, they screwed it up all on their own. Not.

5) I don't expect civil war or anything really disastrous and actually Brexit was not a main reason for my moving to Italy (I give it to the Brexiteers that the rest of the EU is not in the best and most welcoming shape either politically and Italy is surely no exception); however I am rather relieved indeed about not being in the country end March or whenever the moment finally comes.

Edited by Lewian - January 16 2019 at 06:17
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 08:23
Haven't posted yet (actually, I've only read periodically)  but here is a couple of thoughts:
- despite the UK being a major pain in the b... for four decades (ever since Maggie Bitcher), no one on the continent really wants the UK to leave. Most feel that this is a lose/lose situation.

- The UK alone has dug its own grave (well not that sure it's going to be a deep one), and only them (well the English >> see next remark) are responsible and to be blamed for the quagmire.

- The English vote has taken the rest of UK (and Europe) in hostage, especially the Scots (who counted on the Remain vote during their Independence referendum), but the Irish (both Ireland and Ulster) as well.

- while I was always for the reunion of Ireland (it would make sense now, since the Ulstermen voted at 62% Remain), I'm afraid the small Orangist minority will make it impossible...  or bloody.

- as for Scotland, I don't understand why not organizing a second referendum seems like such a waste of time & money, even though I'm not positive the results would change dramatically, but it was almost 50/50 if memory serves

- I really don't understand why the Labour party retains the idiot Corbyn and his "Leave at all costs " stance (I do understand some of his reasons evoked though) at their helm, when 80% of his party wants to Remain

- I never did understand why the UK didn't modify the immigration & integration laws that makes them THE target/paradise for migrants from all over the world to get in there. Modify (as in strengthening the conditions to access benefits) them and this should stop the flood, if it is such an enormous issue

my 0.02p to the debate
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 08:46
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

- as for Scotland, I don't understand why not organizing a second referendum seems like such a waste of time & money, even though I'm not positive the results would change dramatically, but it was almost 50/50 if memory serves
My understanding is the SNP wants to do it but then they want to do it at a time point when they have good chances to win. This wasn't suggested by polls over the last few years so for the moment they wait. The result was 55/45 by the way,  not a huge margin but not exactly supertight either.
I think many folks in Scotland are fed up with referendums after the first Scottish one and Brexit, which doesn't exactly help the SNP.

- I really don't understand why the Labour party retains the idiot Corbyn and his "Leave at all costs " stance (I do understand some of his reasons evoked though) at their helm, when 80% of his party wants to Remain
When Corbyn became the leader of Labour he won against all these muppets who only say what their advisors tell them, always only concerned about not pissing anybody off. He was a breath of fresh air. I'm not saying he is a good party leader or would make a good PM, but I still doubt whether they have anybody else who wouldn't bore the sh*t out of the voters.
- I never did understand why the UK didn't modify the immigration & integration laws that makes them THE target/paradise for migrants from all over the world to get in there. Modify (as in strengthening the conditions to access benefits) them and this should stop the flood, if it is such an enormous issue

That's a good point; when the EU took on the former communist countries in east (or rather middle) Europe, the UK wanted to be more open and welcoming than anyone else. There was a transitory agreement on not having free movement from day 1, but Blair didn't sign up to that and opened the doors. Very ironical that British people complain about the EU regarding immigration, their issue with EU immigrants is totally home-made.
That said, having been an EU immigrant to the UK myself, obviously I don't think there's even much of an issue to solve - or rather, the problem doesn't outweigh the benefits.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 08:56
My understanding of Corbyn at Labor is that he has the membership backing (i.e. the rank and file regular people who have signed up for Labor party membership either individually or via Union membership), the party (i.e. the MP's) are at complete loggerheads with him but they've tried to get rid of him a couple of times and they don't have the membership votes to do it. I'm a bit remote from all this these days but that's what it looked like from my perspective.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - January 16 2019 at 08:58
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 09:56
Afraid not, most Labour voters were Remainers. Comrade Corbyn has turned around and said no second referendum. 70% of his electorate is totally infuriated, as are most of the rest of the Labour Party. 

He's basically trying to get another election. Well, having upset most of his electorate, what a highly competent idea, completely par for the course. Mind you, it's highly unlikely that another election will come out of the latest no confidence vote - the Tories will basically close ranks for this one. 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 12:26
Corbyn is entirely typical of his generation of left wing politicians. Very Euro Sceptic and very loathe to alter his opinions.

The next battleground in British politics is this. The Tories are hopelessly split, and no matter what the resolution to Brexit, that will not change. The two sides are irreconcilable. This also, though, applies to Labour. If Corbyn continues along his present path, expect an almighty generational split in the left. The younger members, whilst committed to socialism, are also committed to Europe. Add into the mix that the lot of them loathe the centrist Labour MPs, then there is a recipe for another almighty split.

My conclusion to all of this?

The traditional two party politics in the UK is not tenable now. Something different will come out of the wreckage.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>