Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduce me to Krautrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 07:37
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

For a modern interpretation of Krautrock, I can highly recommend a band called Electric Orange. 

One of the many ... 

David Stubbs in his book, discusses many of these bands and the places they were from, which amounted to their different "styles" ... but there is one that used to create a lot of noise on stage by himself, which is probably (my guess), nearly the same kind of stuff that Ax Genrich was doing in Guru Guru ... incredible amounts of "noise" fit into the mold of a "song" to create a trip. I think his name was ULLI or ULI something or other, and I have to find it and see if I can listen to it again ... and this is probably one of the best examples of the type of experimentation that the TIME AND PLACE allowed ... not to mention that they were also a big FINGER to the German record companies who thought all these bands were crap anyway, which only helped many of these bands find success elsewhere in Europe!

But no one will listen to this ... and it is the most bizarre thing, since Jimi himself used to make time to do nothing but noise and have some fun on stage to see what sounds came out of it that he might have used.

We just can't handle the "noise", and have to go look for music that is more "organized" and "controlled" ... and if you want to do something new and different ... you have to use all keys from A to Z and then everything else and nothing! If you don't "find it", you can always go back to your song format and standard beat from the computer!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 18:36
My personal favorite Kraut-rock, sung in German!  We used to break the windows in the college dormitory with this one back in the 1970s!!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 20:32
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

My personal favorite Kraut-rock, sung in German!  We used to break the windows in the college dormitory with this one back in the 1970s!!  

My favorite album of all ... PERIOD!

The weird and sad thing is that the order of the material was changed from the LP to the CD ... the LP started with the title cut, went to the instrumental and then DN ... and the CD started with what was the opener of the side 2 of the LP ... Surrounded by the Stars. 

Somehow the CD order, took the taste out of my mouth ... because I really liked the original layout and the order of the songs, getting stronger and stronger as it went on, and then the bridge between Surrounded by the Stars and the next song with the saw ... absolutely magnificent, but the CD, for me, makes no sense, other than favoring the better known song that they did do on stage several times and you can see it on a few clips on the net!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 22:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The weird and sad thing is that the order of the material was changed from the LP to the CD ... the LP started with the title cut, went to the instrumental and then DN ... and the CD started with what was the opener of the side 2 of the LP ... Surrounded by the Stars. 

Somehow the CD order, took the taste out of my mouth ... because I really liked the original layout and the order of the songs, getting stronger and stronger as it went on, and then the bridge between Surrounded by the Stars and the next song with the saw ... absolutely magnificent, but the CD, for me, makes no sense, other than favoring the better known song that they did do on stage several times and you can see it on a few clips on the net!

Thanks, friend, I agree with you 100%!  Parts of "Wolf City" rival the strongest prog material of the era including Genesis and Yes...I'd put the LP's side one up there with anyone.  

I'm a huge fan of the late, great bassist Lothar Meid, and the entire LP featured some excellent performances.  
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 23:46
Uli Trepte who played bass in Guru Guru?
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 00:33
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It's actually the US LP release that is anomalous in starting side one with Wolf City. The original German LP and I believe every other LP release apart from the US one started with Surrounded By The Stars, and the CD releases have followed that order.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 09 2019 at 00:35
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 15:59
Yep, I have the German album and it starts with Surrounded by the Stars. Awesome opener; I'd never have thought that someone would prefer Wolf City (but then I never listened to that one as an opener).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 20:11
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Yep, I have the German album and it starts with Surrounded by the Stars. Awesome opener; I'd never have thought that someone would prefer Wolf City (but then I never listened to that one as an opener).

It's not a complaint at all ... I guess I was used to the American version, and I like its "progress" from a piece of music that is somewhat more conventional (the title song), into an instrumental, and then into a fun piece, and taking this album deeper into your imagination.

"Surrounded by the Stars", is a great piece, but for me, not the one in the album that takes me away the most, which is reserved for the instrumental and the piece right after the "Surrounded by the Stars" piece.

That instrumental, is an incredible trip, musically and in meditation. It's the pure "rock version" of a meditative piece that just flows forever, and it comes off as very deep and strong, and having it in the front end, defines the band musicianship right off the bat, as strong, and particularly deep. No one else, has ever created something that strong and deep in rock music.

Having SbtS at the opening sets the album up differently, and I can see it a bit now ... it sets up AD2 as an important and valuable band lyrically as well. Up until that point, the band was not very strong when it came to its lyrics, and it was almost like they were in the background, and all of a sudden, they are up front and it is a blow out, which was brought to the front even more in the next album with "Mozambique" and "Apocaliptyc Bore" ... 

But its opening and then into the next piece, makes it a very strong opening and ... yeah ... it doesn't change the love I have for the album, but I have to admit that I liked the climax a bit later, rather than so soon. 
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 22:49
^Thanks for the thoughtful analysis, Moshkito!  I agree, the opening chords of the song "Wolf City" make for a powerful opening!  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 08:00

^Thanks for the thoughtful analysis, Moshkito!  I agree, the opening chords of the song "Wolf City" make for a powerful opening!  

In retrospect, I have a feeling that after "Carnival in Babylon" probably did not sell or create as much excitement as "Dance of the Lemmings" did, and the immediate need for United Artists was for them to bring out a strong album and hopefully with a song that came near enough to a "hit" for them to get better noticed.

The strangest thing, is that of the live concerts of theirs, you don't hear "SbtS" or any of the later material until way later ... meaning that they did not even care for what they created or could not agree with each other on what to play ... and then in a couple of concerts after the year 2000, they finally played some of this later material and showed that they should have done this earlier, but I have a feeling that they could not get it together to even do a concert together. There are so few videos of these, and no bootlegs that I am aware of unless John has some recordings stashed away ... which is possible.

When the time came around to "Made in Germany" there was a large push to make them bigger and better and Space Pirate Radio/Guy Guden even provided some of the press materials that had been distributed to try and get some attention. Sadly, it did not materialize and while one song or two did get played by at least one of the other DJ's, the album went largely ignored, even if Guy himself played the album to death ... including things like "La Krautoma" ... "Loosey Girls" and many others ... to no avail. The album was ignored in LA, it seems, and that meant no stature gain anywhere, and even the import places we got many of these things, were not impressed anymore! Something else was always there ... and so on.

www.pedrosena.com
tigerti View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
spam vidmate for ipad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

My favorite band is Germany's Triumvirat, but, alas, they are Symphonic, and not really krautrock.
       My favorite krautrock band is an obscure one, German Oak. Though mainly instrumental, kind of in the vein of Amon Duul 2, but I like German v[]Oak more.
< ="text/">
Krautrock has so far been no exception though I'm having issues knowing where to start. My first introduction was just Floh de Cologne's "Mumien" which I absolutely love, and am looking for more along those lines. Love the spoken bits (which is odd because in other prog it drives me up the walls), love the sprechstimme, the shouted vocals, the driving bass guitar etc.

EDIT: And bye for a spammate. 

Edited by DamoXt7942 - February 20 2019 at 16:24
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 06:04
Originally posted by tigerti tigerti wrote:

... Krautrock has so far been no exception though I'm having issues knowing where to start. My first introduction was just Floh de Cologne's "Mumien" which I absolutely love, and am looking for more along those lines. Love the spoken bits (which is odd because in other prog it drives me up the walls), love the sprechstimme, the shouted vocals, the driving bass guitar etc.
EDIT: And bye for a spammate. 

Don't forget that "krautrock" was not some kind of mindless experiment, that did not mean anything ... it was VERY POLITICAL and opinionated in many fronts, although some groups (Can and TD for example) made a point of not saying much or to get folks riled up, and Damo singing stuff that no one knew what it meant, added a touch that was "indifferent" to all the political stuff.

AD2 was opinionated all the way to their end ... they never stopped, and their "satirical" songs are quite ... strong and sometimes very ... off kilter. And hearing Renate in the HIJACK album get a comedy/laugh track bit on it, made it seem like that any kind of "feminism" was just crap to be laughed at ... and my friend ... yesterday or today ... THAT IS NOT FUNNY and is very insulting!

Guru Guru was very political in a quiet sort of way ... that they even show it in a funny sort of way, making fun of the music in East Germany on the album TANGO FANGO ... and this is a song that most "progressive" folks don't like, because funny stuff is not allowed in a "progressive" album! But, it showed that there was, at the time (way before the WALL came down, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) a lot of content and opinion and differences between East and West.

We have a tendency to diminish all this stuff in favor of meaningless lyrics ... and think that this is not serious ... "krautrock" like the rest of the art scene surrounding it, was very serious and intense ... and please ... read the other articles that even give life to Klaus Kinsky and so many other artists that came up at the same time. That kind of intense "fight" for something or other, that you find in his characterizations, is something that is very scary politically to a lot of places ... and they would try to temper it down ... credit goes to Germany for not doing so ... but I think that a lot of it was let go because of the push to break up the Soviet Union, which had already started 10 years before with short wave radio wars, flooding all the communist countries with all the rock music it could, to get the younger generation to side with the Westerners, which happened!

The book FUTURE DAYS, goes over the political over tones for a lot of this ... and which groups were associated with what ... and it was not just one or two ... it was almost all of them in one way or another.

Please stop thinking of "krautrock" as just another pop music scene ... it wasn't. And I think that it is extremely difficult for folks TODAY to understand this, in a place where the jelly and crap of social media prevents anyone to know what they are standing up for, which in the end, is like ... ridiculous!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 07:12
Really you just have to jump in and swim in the seas of Kraut. The best way to start is to use the Top 250 list for Kraut and just chip away at the stone. There be some gems in here ;)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 10:21
Excellent suggestions here all around, I don't go too deep into the genre other than my love of CAN. A bit outside the box is also the debut album by my all time favorite German band, Scorpions. The album, Lonesome Crow, is heavy psych rock but the krautrock flavors for me exist in this album.
They don't sing in German, for reasons stated already, but the heavy accent is prevalent. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 23:30
OK, some time ago I asked for suggestions here for Krautrock in german, and I did get some answers... unfortunatley I have been checking other stuff out and haven't gotten around to looking for those songs / albums yet, but I do have the list at hand and hope to do so soon enough. So, this is what I was given that has german lyrics:
- Novalis album Konzerte (all of it).
- Novalis album Novalis ("Wer Schmetterlinge lachen hört" and "Es färbte sich die Wiese grün").
- Novalis album Sommerabend ("Wunderschätze" and the title track).
- Guru Guru album Tango Fango (title track).
- Guru Guru album Hey Du! (the title track, "Was für ne Welt" and "Dös war I"; the last one actually is in Bavarian dialect).
- Guru Guru album Mani in Germani ("Komm lutsch mal" and "Heit geh i in d' Schtodt"; the last one again is in Bavarian dialect).
- Guru Guru album Guru Manis neue Abenteuer ("Schleimeimer" and "Der König ist goldrichtig").
- Amon Duul 2 album Phallus Dei ("Dem Guten, Schönen, Wahren", who told me about this one sai it's got arguably the most disgusting lyrics).
- Amon Duul 2 album Carnyval in Babylon ("C.I.D. in Uruk").
- Amon Duul 2 album Vortex ("Die 7 fetten Jahr" and "Das Gestern ist das Heute von Morgen").
- Krafterwerk songs "Les Mannequins", "Das Model" and "Computerliebe".

Now that I have come to the attention of this list, I hope I get to check it out soon enough. I just added the few new pieces I spotted on this same thread
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 23:57
Amon Duul II from Phallus Dei to Wolf City is a tremendeus journey. Alsp Ash-Ra tenples debute is 40 years ahead of its time
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 05:17
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

- Guru Guru album Tango Fango (title track).

Das Lebendige Radio

Is the "satire" on East German music and it is done in German ... with a couple of words in English, so a foreign audience might "get it". FOR ME, this is fabulous ... as it stated plainly who the "hero" and "god" of the music was ... and remember, this was done, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before the WALL came down, either in reality or Pink Floyd!

- Amon Duul 2 album Phallus Dei ("Dem Guten, Schönen, Wahren", who told me about this one sai it's got arguably the most disgusting lyrics).
- Amon Duul 2 album Carnyval in Babylon ("C.I.D. in Uruk").
- Amon Duul 2 album Vortex ("Die 7 fetten Jahr" and "Das Gestern ist das Heute von Morgen").

And also in the introduction to "Mozambique" or was it "Apocaliptyc Bore"? I asked one of the Friedel's what it said, and I never got an answer ... I think it might be aggressive, if not offensive.
The funny thing, is that a foreign language never bothered me, and that might be because of a house of literature from so many countries, though I could pick up a lot of the Latin flavored stuff, but how would anyone comment on my liking things like this ... Sadistic Mika Band (in Japanese), Granada (in Spanish), PFM (in Italian), Alan Stivell (Breton Celt), quite a few of the German bands, though I ended up not enjoying Novalis that much because of the German ... somehow, it lowered my interest in the philosopher (how's that for weird!), bands in Portuguese and the Brazilian version. And already I had things like Missa Luba and other African things at home. Or Boris Christoff singing in Russian!

Side note: This was one of the things that I learned from PETER BROOK the theater/film director. He ended up putting together 25 actors from 10 or 12 countries, and they could not understand each other ... but they could put together THE MAHABHARATTA ... which gave me the feeling/idea, that "language" is not the only communicator ... how about the music? I was already into this before I got into "progressive music.

Edited by moshkito - February 26 2019 at 08:05
www.pedrosena.com
Songtoad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Songtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 06:49
Grobschnitt - symphonic. Check out the live record called "Solar Music Live", it´s one of the most epic space/kraut albums, maybe even in entire prog.

Embryo - ethnic/jazz-rock/fusion. Very cool original jams. Listen to their album "We Keep On"

Neuschwanstein - symphonic. Major Genesis influence here, yet still original.

Gila - Space '. Long and extended instrumental soloing with atmospheric/hypnotic harmonies to accompany.

Kraut and german music in general can evoke great moods and are definitely worth it to check out!

Cheers friends!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 08:37
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

So, my heritage is German, I speak a little German, I read German rather well, and I just love basically all things German.

Krautrock has so far been no exception though I'm having issues knowing where to start. My first introduction was just Floh de Cologne's "Mumien" which I absolutely love, and am looking for more along those lines. Love the spoken bits (which is odd because in other prog it drives me up the walls), love the sprechstimme, the shouted vocals, the driving bass guitar etc.

Suggestions for more Krautrock along the Mumien lines?

be sure to keep your ears and eyes open for the first volume of the Krautrock documentary which is due out around the end of March.  You can listen to the music.. but those movies by Jose and Adele will help you understand the music. You'll learn something..  and those performance clips? Holy sh*t.. been buried unseen for 4 decades.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 08:46

So, this is what I was given that has german lyrics:

...and Grobschnitt's Jumbo album (German language version).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>