Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 21:32
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down
The Church - Heyday
Beatles - The White Album
Yes - Going For The One

All these were loaned to me in high school by an older friend of mine, all of which I listened to once and said "meh" (at the time, I was subsisting on a steady diet of Rush, Van Halen, BOC, Ozzy, etc...). He just smiled and said, "Ahh, you'll get around to these sooner or later". Man, he was right. Over the next few years I got really into these, and now all are easy picks for my top 100 list.

Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 22:00

Frances The Mute (The Mars Volta): It took me a while to appreciate it, but now I love it.

Selling England By The Pound (Genesis): It was one of the first albums I had ever bought when I first got into progressive rock. I didn't really think it was all that great for a while, but as I listened to it more and more, I have grown to find it a fascinating album. I've found that most of the best albums take a while to "get," IMHO.

Tales From Topographic Oceans (Yes): I probably didn't like it at first due to the fact it's Tales From Topographic Oceans- I mean, come on! But now it's one of my all-time favourites. 

MarkCsigs View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 22:34

Most recently ... World Record from VdGG.  I bought it at the same time as Still Life and Godbluff and it just didn't compare, so I thought it was crap.  Couldn't listen to it for months.  But dusted it off recently and have been playing it quite a bit.

Overall ... I would say Gentle Giant.  I tried to get into them as a teen, but it literally took me years to "get it". 

I repeat myself when under stress.
BigHairyMonster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 01:27
There are a couple that took a while for me to come around to, but Soft Machine's Third took over a year to appreciate...I wouldn't quite call it a masterpiece though.

My most recent "Grower" has been Strands Of The Future by Pulsar...a great album!

One recent purchase, the self-titled Et Cetera album has left me underwhelmed so far...I guess I'll have to keep plugging away for awhile longer, but at this point I think it is a dud.

Big Hairy Monster's debut CD
"View" coming soon!
www.bighairymonster.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123