Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs that have great VOCAL melodies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs that have great VOCAL melodies
    Posted: December 19 2018 at 17:53
"Canto IV' is a wonderful song, and anything sung by Matthew Parmenter (who is a very cool guy) deserves a listen, or preferably more than one.

In terms of classic prog, I'd say that anything sung by Greg Lake is bound to have a great vocal melody. A particular favourite of mine is the beginning of "Trilogy", when he sings almost a cappella.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 17:36
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 17:03
Tool, The Mars Volta, Dredg?..

Anyway, some faves of mine. Very emotional, very underrated:

very subtle, very underrated as well:

very classy, very underrated again:

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 14:34
Just about anything on all of the earlier Moody Blues albums......and I also think that Wilson has a great ear for melodies ...especially Lazarus on Deadwing.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 12:40
Oh, yeah. Can Utility and the Coastliners.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 12:38
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Sorry this doesn't really fit the bill because chances are you know that lady already and it's not 70s, but... in the world of great vocal melodies there is simply no better.

A good recommendation here, with strings arranged by Eumir Deodato!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 07:12
Slightly more conventional recommendation:

If you cant play it. Its Trittico from Melos from Cervello.

Try höyry-kones huono parturi, kala and the last one laina ajalla.

Or what I absolutely adore recently: haikara - Manala the singing in the beginning

I have to admit. I prefer slow melodies with a rhythmic twist.

Am gonna think about Magma again. You sparked a fire in me pedro.
But I think I am gonna stay with my opinion bout overtone melodies.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - November 25 2018 at 07:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 06:43
Also and you cant deny that. The heavy use of different vocal chants (in a language that was built to be musical) gives the more or less two tone variation sections a whole new richness. The overtones built their own brilliant melodies.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 06:39
Also magma has a lot of nice rich dischordant (I am not quite sure about the english term, correct me if you want) and chromatic melodies
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 06:37
I am not quite sure how to react on that, cause I am not sure where you´re coming from. They may be very staccato like melodies often but not only. Especially wurdah itah is melodious as all hell and there are beautiful melodic parts.. like ima suri dondai everywhere over their musical body.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 07:33
so many great ones.. but got to give up.. and baby.. you bet you I would in a NY minute for either of them.. for these two.

both non prog artists who guested on prog albums and both completely blew me away.. so much so that one inspired me to drop my 20 odd year dope sobriety when we met and she offered me a joint... that I was later inspired to explore their work as artists on their own. Great stuff.. and what voices...

Shara Worden Heart

Cheyenne Mize HeartHeart

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 06:50
Skybird, I think that those are all awesome choices.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 05:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

One particular song. Histoires Sans Paroles, from Harmonium. It's instrumental, but it's got some really beautiful wordless vocalisations.

Smile   Thumbs Up

Love this band 
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 05:39
Peter Nichols - IQ Smile  Thumbs Up

Seventh House

Edited by noni - November 24 2018 at 05:41
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 05:29
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Ian Gillian from Deep Purple had some amazing vocal performances.  Some of my favorite work by him was on "Jesus Christ Superstar."  What pipes! 

Wow, that comes from way ago but surely rings a bell - and Yvone Elliman, if I remember well, was terrific too.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 04:58
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 20:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The final segment of the fourth track on Mike Oldfield's Incantations album.

I concur.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 19:41
I was just listening to Museo Rosenbach's Zarathrustra, and, even though I wouldn't say it's got a particularly great singer (not bad either at all, though), past half the song there's some really wonderful vocal melodies... once again, not so much the voice, but the melody sung.
Skybird View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 07:03
Just remembered one of the biggest "slap in the face" I received, musically speaking. That was live in Orthez (France), in 2003, when Ange performed. I'm not into Ange specifically, that was the fourth act or so of a long day of festival (started with Seven Reizh and ended with Pendragon!), so my wife and I decided to take a step back and listen with one ear only. Except that the Descamps son, Tristan, at some point, had a solo song. Piano and voice only, reprising a 1968 Polnareff song, "Le bal des Laze". Let's say he got our attention quickly... Here's a video of another performance of this song.

Edited by Skybird - November 23 2018 at 07:04
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 06:55
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Magma - Wurdah Itah.. live the women choir parts mostly but the others aren´t too bad either.

I'm not sure that MAGMA's work (any of it) is about "melodies" at all.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>