Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 23:29
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Easy: 2112 to Moving Pictures.

THIS!
AND THE ASSERTION THAT GENESIS GOT BETTER AFTER W&W IS THE MOST LUDICROUS STATEMENT EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND. Micky is Donald Trump nailed on....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 02:24
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Easy: 2112 to Moving Pictures.

THIS!
AND THE ASSERTION THAT GENESIS GOT BETTER AFTER W&W IS THE MOST LUDICROUS STATEMENT EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND. Micky is Donald Trump nailed on....

please stop using all caps. Are you screaming at us? All caps post are aggressive. So you disagree with someone, what's the big deal? So someone likes the trio Genesis more. I disagree as well.But there's no need to get all caps angry, throw insults etc. 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 02:28
2112 and Moving Pictures.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2018 at 14:53
Mickey mouse dishes it out so he gets it back in spades...anybody who disagrees with him is a troll...I felt like shouting a bit...catharsis and all that...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 14:57
Am I the only person on PA who is not totally in love with Rush?  

I mean, they've done some good to near-great music, but Lifeson wasn't in the same league as Fripp, Howe, Hackett etc.  

Also, Geddy Lee's voice can really be irritating.  What is it that I am missing?  I see no beauty in their music, unlike Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 15:41
They're definitely not for everyone. Seems you either love Rush or you don't. I have the same issue with Porcupine Tree. I just can't get into 'em.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:22
The beginning seems easy:  Caress of Steel.  Fly by Night had the inklings of something special, and I f**king love that album, but it's not quite there yet.

The end is much harder and is intertwined in the endless, unresolved, "what is prog rock?" discussion.  In the most conservative sense, I'd say their last prog rock album was Hemispheres.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 07:30
I don´t see the problem. He obviously isn´t serious about it xD.

Edit: That was about cristis post.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - November 25 2018 at 07:32
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 10:56
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I mean, they've done some good to near-great music, but Lifeson wasn't in the same league as Fripp, Howe, Hackett etc.  

Also, Geddy Lee's voice can really be irritating.  What is it that I am missing?  I see no beauty in their music, unlike Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc.  

Nope. There's several on here that are not big fans. I'm sure you can find at least a few who don't like each of the big bands(Yes, Floyd, Genesis, KC, ELP, JT)and some who don't like the next bands up such as Camel, VDGG, GG, Moody Blues, Kansas etc. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 12:38

You don't have to be totally in love with any band. You confirm Rush has done good to near great music, to me that is more than enough to like a band a lot.
Whether Lifeson was in the same league as those mentioned is subjective. I've never been a huge fan of Fripp or Howe, Hackett is better than all of them.

Geddy's voice issue is a long in the tooth discussion, growing up I never had any issue with it and I suspect most of the prog/hard rock world does not either.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the 3 you mention made magical music before Rush came into their own. Those bands are influences to Rush members and Rush music, that's all. I don't think you are missing anything other than you may not enjoy harder prog or Zeppelin styled prog rock, at least in the early years....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 12:59
Rush definitely invited super fandom for many reasons. I was never a big fan until I saw them live. Suddenly you're in with thousands of Rush fanatics while the band plays their heart out. Very infectious stuff.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 13:17

I see no beauty in their music, unlike Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc.  
Tears from 2112 and Losing It from Signals.

Edited by Rednight - November 25 2018 at 13:17
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 13:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I see no beauty in their music, unlike Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc.  
Tears from 2112 and Losing It from Signals.

… an The Garden from Clockwork Angels (and IMO, many others).  

There is tremendous beauty in many of the lyrics as well, which may be hard for some to hear if they are put off by Geddy's voice.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 13:43
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

I don´t see the problem. He obviously isn´t serious about it xD.

Edit: That was about cristis post.

It's well known around here that Barney is an angry, agressive a****le.

No problem for me saying it since I'm not really serious about it.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 14:56
Wow, anyone who complains about Geddy's voice needs to hear Pavlov's Dog or Budgie. You will then appreciate Geddy. :D 
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 17:29
Caress of steel,farewell to kings and hemispheres, that,s prog or progressive rock these 3 are the gems
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 17:52
Uh, Roll The Bones LOL  
Now there's the prog rap song that somebody out there really wanted Party

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 23:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

You don't have to be totally in love with any band. You confirm Rush has done good to near great music, to me that is more than enough to like a band a lot.
Whether Lifeson was in the same league as those mentioned is subjective. I've never been a huge fan of Fripp or Howe, Hackett is better than all of them.

Geddy's voice issue is a long in the tooth discussion, growing up I never had any issue with it and I suspect most of the prog/hard rock world does not either.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the 3 you mention made magical music before Rush came into their own. Those bands are influences to Rush members and Rush music, that's all. I don't think you are missing anything other than you may not enjoy harder prog or Zeppelin styled prog rock, at least in the early years....

Well said!  I've enjoyed some of their music over the years, but I just don't seek it out.  They have done an amazing job as a 3 piece, and Geddy's ability to sing/play bass and also bring synth into the mix is very impressive.  

However, I don't find them as progressive as their peers like Yes, KC or Genesis in terms of composition or musical talent.  I view them as more of an arena oriented rock band.  They can be fun, I saw them on a tiny stage just after their second LP came out in the 1970s!  Most of the bands I played in back then covered "Working Man" because it was fairly easy to play and was a good song.  

It's all good, believe me! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 02:47
Rush are an enigma. They've been a prog rock band, they've been a rock and roll band, and they've been an 80's arena power rock trio. Fair paly to them. If they'd still been making albums like Hemispheres by the end of the 80's tey would have died a death commercially, and just a few thousands nerds in anoraks would still be following them.

They managed to transition to a credible 80's sound, without dumbing down and selling out, like Genesis did, which has got to count for something.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 11:21
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

They managed to transition to a credible 80's sound, without dumbing down and selling out, like Genesis did, which has got to count for something.

Bingo. Rush did that with far greater success than Saga managed to when the latter went full-blast pop with Behaviour and Wildest Dreams, and then attempted to regroup (somewhat) with Beginner's Guide to Throwing Shapes.

Rush managed to hold on to both their hard rock base (well, some of it) and the prog fans with Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace Under Pressure. But they just had great songs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>