Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that you find very generic and boring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 07:57
I felt like having a miserable time just now so I cued up Jethro Tull's Under Wraps on Youtube (obviously I don't own it). Made it through Lap of Luxury and the first three seconds of Under Wraps #1. It's like music that's been through some kind of special press that squeezed out all the...everything.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 07 2018 at 08:10
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 08:58
Why listen if you dont like it? Are you a masochist?
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 09:56
^ Know your enemy.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Why listen if you dont like it? Are you a masochist?

See that is where I am at, it's very simple. If I don't like it I don't listen to it......I don't think it has anything to do with it being boring or generic.
Doing something over and over can get boring, hearing Stairway To Heaven or Back In Black or Money or Tom Sawyer can get boring.....growing up with FM these were on daily rotation in 70s and 80s and it still continues.

That being said I can easily see how of the 56,000+ albums on PA (as Tapfret states), most can be considered boring or generic by some....I would think there are mountains of albums here that get little to no listens by many prog fans.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:09
I think I could once overplay the classics in my collection. But once you get over 1000 good releases the overplay lessens. And the other 1000+ may never get spun again....I struggle to choose some days...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Doing something over and over can get boring, hearing Stairway To Heaven or Back In Black or Money or Tom Sawyer can get boring.....growing up with FM these were on daily rotation in 70s and 80s and it still continues.

For me, rather than "Tom Sawyer," it's "Closer to the Heart." As soon as I hear it, I hit another preset — fast! LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

For me, rather than "Tom Sawyer," it's "Closer to the Heart." As soon as I hear it, I hit another preset — fast! LOL

Well I threw in Tom Sawyer for all the Rush haters, just to make them "feel" good. LOL I don't have issue with either song, the drumming in TS is so insane like Neil Peart always says he loves playing that song, since it is so hard to play perfect...

I don't listen to FM anymore.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:53

I think I could once overplay the classics in my collection. But once you get over 1000 good releases the overplay lessens. And the other 1000+ may never get spun again....I struggle to choose some days...

I have more than enough varied material in my collection that I too struggle what to spin.......I think 25% is what is in constant rotation, the other 500 or so records get little love. I'm trying to play them more, clearly I bought them for a reason.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:59

This is very much me, when I had around 100 LP's in my teens everything got overplayed, now I've got over 2,000 that's not the problem, making sure I make time for stuff I haven't heard in a couple of years is the problem.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 15:26

Well I threw in Tom Sawyer for all the Rush haters, just to make them "feel" good. LOL I don't have issue with either song, the drumming in TS is so insane like Neil Peart always says he loves playing that song, since it is so hard to play perfect...

I don't listen to FM anymore.

I listen to some talk radio in the morning, then maybe a few songs in, I'll cut it. But "Closer" is just one of those songs that needs as much of a break as one can afford. Just heard the song umpteen times, like "Working Man." LOL
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 23:45
And now for something completely different....NOT very generic nor boring!!  

This stuff is hard to find, Bob F. tends to have his lawyers yank it!!  Watch it while you can!!  Clap

Edited by cstack3 - December 07 2018 at 23:46
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 10:55
^Awesome! Always great to see John (RIP) tearin' it up early in his career. Bruf and Muir were a separate show all their own.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 11:12
Yes, indeed!  I love those early shows when you find them.  

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Crow View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 11:51
I don't know why, but find some british prog band like Mostly Autumn and Big Big Train rather generic and boring.

And talking about more recent albums, I find Heritage and Soceress from Opeth very generic prog with no surprises. Really boring stuff. Pale Communion is a bit better, though.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 12:17
Originally posted by The Crow The Crow wrote:

I don't know why, but find some british prog band like Mostly Autumn and Big Big Train rather generic and boring.

And talking about more recent albums, I find Heritage and Soceress from Opeth very generic prog with no surprises. Really boring stuff. Pale Communion is a bit better, though.

Try listening without your "prog" ears on. Most of these newer bands are not prog like you might want them to be or expect.
BBT to me is just modern rock music with some atmosphere and female singing, violin and flute don't make them prog, not anymore that was the 70's formula. They have a lot of progressive rock influences for sure, but today I see them just a modern/alternative/art rock band, and nothing wrong with that.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 12:49

Hi,

AND, what's even worse is that the majority of the internet "progressive" stuff is no different ... they might play a 2nd cut by the same band, and the noise/sound is STILL the same! Not to mention that really ... beginner ... drum work!

...BBT to me is just modern rock music with some atmosphere and female singing, violin and flute don't make them prog, not anymore that was the 70's formula. They have a lot of progressive rock influences for sure, but today I see them just a modern/alternative/art rock band, and nothing wrong with that.

In some ways, MOSTLY AUTUMN and BBT are now the 2nd wave of "progressive" and for my tastes, their music is very nice, but it lacks a bit of strength, where it needs to be, in order to make the music more innovative and valuable for a lot of listeners, beyond the "prog/progressive" crowd. I don't think of them, for example, as MAJOR bands in the respective category that they are placed in, but they are a nice listen now and then, however, not even in my "preferred" rotation ... simply because they do not have the "punch" that really good progressive/prog has.

Sometimes, and I do not mean this to sound bad, I think of these bands as "middle age progressive music" ... which for me, makes it ... not as important to listen to, but enjoyable. 

And yeah, maybe my issue with it is the predictability of the music ... here comes the solo ... here comes the bridge ... here comes the singing ... here comes this or that ... and for my tastes that takes progressive right out of the equation. Not boring, for that is a very gross generalization in my book ... why bother making music, and it makes it sound like the early synth stuff was not boring ... try George Harrison's Lectronic Music ... it's boring however you look at it, except that he is trying to figure out how to go from here to there ... and the early "kraut-machine" did it a lot better and ended up making it interesting!

Not progressive by today's standards and most find listening to that stuff boring these days, but in those days, that stuff WAS IT! But, for me, at 68, "middle age progressive music" just does not seem to spark anything, except another bout of sleep with the cat by my feet, or the dog on the other side!

Edited by moshkito - December 08 2018 at 12:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 13:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

AND, what's even worse is that the majority of the internet "progressive" stuff is no different ... they might play a 2nd cut by the same band, and the noise/sound is STILL the same! Not to mention that really ... beginner ... drum work!

...BBT to me is just modern rock music with some atmosphere and female singing, violin and flute don't make them prog, not anymore that was the 70's formula. They have a lot of progressive rock influences for sure, but today I see them just a modern/alternative/art rock band, and nothing wrong with that.

In some ways, MOSTLY AUTUMN and BBT are now the 2nd wave of "progressive" and for my tastes, their music is very nice, but it lacks a bit of strength, where it needs to be, in order to make the music more innovative and valuable for a lot of listeners, beyond the "prog/progressive" crowd. I don't think of them, for example, as MAJOR bands in the respective category that they are placed in, but they are a nice listen now and then, however, not even in my "preferred" rotation ... simply because they do not have the "punch" that really good progressive/prog has.

Sometimes, and I do not mean this to sound bad, I think of these bands as "middle age progressive music" ... which for me, makes it ... not as important to listen to, but enjoyable. 

And yeah, maybe my issue with it is the predictability of the music ... here comes the solo ... here comes the bridge ... here comes the singing ... here comes this or that ... and for my tastes that takes progressive right out of the equation. Not boring, for that is a very gross generalization in my book ... why bother making music, and it makes it sound like the early synth stuff was not boring ... try George Harrison's Lectronic Music ... it's boring however you look at it, except that he is trying to figure out how to go from here to there ... and the early "kraut-machine" did it a lot better and ended up making it interesting!

Not progressive by today's standards and most find listening to that stuff boring these days, but in those days, that stuff WAS IT! But, for me, at 68, "middle age progressive music" just does not seem to spark anything, except another bout of sleep with the cat by my feet, or the dog on the other side!

There is A LOT of "yups" in what Mosh is saying here. If we are saying that BBT's music is a progression from Genesis or the like from the 70's, then ok I can go with calling them "modern progressive rock" and those attributes are different than 70-80s progressive rock. Although that could be confusing to people who are 30ish and did not live thru the 70s prog era.

I simply listen to music with very little to no preconceived notions of "this is going to be prog rock, hope it's good!" Only to be let down because it is not.....That was my error with some newer bands, one being The Pineapple Thief. Lots of prog influences but what they are recording is not 70's prog rock....I can be fine with modern progressive rock.

And as far as the "punch" that Mosh talks about, I agree and I think a good part of it has to do with the recording process. Very few bands record live in the studio as one group one take and then the digital processing removes some emotions.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 13:33

There is A LOT of "yups" in what Mosh is saying here. If we are saying that BBT's music is a progression from Genesis or the like from the 70's, then ok I can go with calling them "modern progressive rock" and those attributes are different than 70-80s progressive rock. Although that could be confusing to people who are 30ish and did not live thru the 70s prog era.

Interesting that you thought that ... I have never listened to a band because it "sounded" like another or because of this or that ... what I keep looking for, is more "modern progressive rock" with lots of surprises and moments ... and instead, in particular those 2 bands MOSTLY AUTUMN and BIG BIG TRAIN ... it is a rehash of older material for my tastes ... again ... it is all too predictable, and all I'm looking for is ... the surprises ... and there are none to speak of. This has nothing to do with the women singing, or what not, but in many ways, how the bands organize their works ... they only know a DAW's way of doing it (for lack of better term), and I do not think they clearly understand what "progressive" really meant as a VERY ORIGINAL form of music ... that all of a sudden is not that original, specially in its format!

... And as far as the "punch" that Mosh talks about, I agree and I think a good part of it has to do with the recording process. Very few bands record live in the studio as one group one take and then the digital processing removes some emotions.

It's possible, but I'm not sure that in the 70's as much of it was as live as we think. Some of it, appears beautifully rehearsed and recorded, which suggests that the band had in mind doing something completely different with the piece of music, and achieved it ... my issue with MA and BBT is sort of like ... let's color the word "love" in that lyric with flutes on top of the wash/wavy sound of the keyboards ... and to me, that's just like ... MAJOR is happy and MINOR is sad kind of thing ... and the musician did not even try to play the MAJOR in a sad way, which can be done.

It's the same thing with acting ... and actors, and I advise singers to learn this quickly and get it down ... take one line ... "let's talk about the word love" ... and now say it with hatred. Now say it with care. Now say it with disdain. Now say it with reckless abandon. Now say it with desperation ... and I think that in the 70's some of the material called for more creative and artistic definitions (theater and film were excellent about that at the time!), than right now, when/where so many people are stuck on top ten thoughts and ideals, and cannot listen, or partake of anything that does not have and continually use, something that is already known and used ... for crying out loud ... you would think that the Berklee Music BS would teach those drummers more than 1234 ... nooooooo .... they all sound the same even with one more tom ... and Mani Neumeier can make them all look like children with almost a minimal kit!

But, the comment will go over one's head! Because no one at Berklee MBS will EVER listen to a Mani Neumeier and how he adapted to experimental and non-linear rock material!

Shall we start the boring discussion now? This is the reason why the ex-DT drummer is not one of my favorites. He does better when playing TFTO with Transatlantic, than he does in any other piece ... which tells you he is listening, but it doesn't show in his own work which is almost all the same ... makes me want to take that snare drum and put it over his head to wear as a necklace ... probably get more attention, too, specially if there is some red catsup in the middle of it! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 15:04

^Awesome! Always great to see John (RIP) tearin' it up early in his career. Bruf and Muir were a separate show all their own.

Yeah, the close-up footage of Muir is priceless!!  Man, he used EVERYTHING!!  Referee whistles, bird whistles, whatever he could find!!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 02:17
The crumson footage isnt generic nor boring, but its not what my ears (sans saucepan) are enjoying. Any loon can dick about with assorted percussion items and a whistle..Reminded me of a kindergarten play group with Fripp and Wetton the exasperated teachers....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>