Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s scifi concept album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 02:11
^ No, you're our best bet at this point.  Go for it, dude!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 02:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Blows Against the Empire  -  1970, A collaboration of Paul Kantner, Jerry Garcia, CSN and others
"The album is a narrative concept album that tells the story of a counter-culture revolution against the oppressions of "Uncle Samuel" and a plan to steal a starship from orbit and journey into space in search of a new home. The original vinyl release is divided into two album sides".

JS Blows-Against-the-Empire.jpg

That was my first thought, along with Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come' Galactic Zoo Dossier

And both of their bigger/smaller sister would also qualify:
- Paul & Grave's Sunfither (both Empire and this one could be included in PA, for that matter, as would be Tollboth & Chrome Nun
- AB's KC: Journey

^ But let's face it: concept albums are silly, juvenile, outdated and frankly dull-as-hell formats.   It's a fun idea, but no one wants to sit through an hour or more of bad literature and retarded poetry.   Give us some friggin songs.

I'd agree that very few concepts are really worth sitting though in one session, especially if a double album (even for The Lamb, The Wall, Tommy or Quadrophenia)

One notable exception is the mother of all concepts, Brick

(and please don't come with APP's early stuff, either)

Edited by Sean Trane - November 29 2018 at 03:04
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 04:44

^ No, you're our best bet at this point.

Well, we're in trouble then :)

No, I can think of albums which tick some of the boxes, but not all of them. I've tried, but I don't think I'm going to come up with anything more unless the OP can think of something else to refine the search.

After my own memory and search attempts didn't produce a clear candidate I looked at the 'various artists - concept albums' section here on pa, which revealed nothing close, so I'm guessing  it's either a) not prog, b) not various artists, or c) very obscure.

Any chance it was a soundtrack album?

Edited by Braka - November 29 2018 at 04:49
rgodfrey53 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 05:26

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:08
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 13:35
Originally posted by rgodfrey53 rgodfrey53 wrote:

One clue that may narrow it down: I now recall that I purchased it while living in an apartment I rented from 76 to 79, and was a fairly current release when I bought it. I thought there might be one Prog fanatic out there who may have bought it, but maybe not.

Solved. Wink

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 14:04

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:09
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 14:45
It turns out that it this obscure album is in truth, a historical artifact from an alternate future world, ravaged by the corporation documented in the album. It was an attempt by the descendants of the corporation's founder to warn the founder of the havoc his company will eventually wreak upon the world. Historical records had identified the founder to be a fan of progressive rock music so the artifact was sent to a store the founder had frequented as a youth. Unfortunately, due to a miscalculation of the time he would be entering the store, the original poster of this thread had found and purchased the album. Thus, we are on a path for this unfortunate future as documented by this obscure one-off album. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 14:50
^ As usual PA is at the forefront of disastrously inconsequential events.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 14:54

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 16:40
haven't had any luck yet.. but still digging...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 17:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

haven't had any luck yet.. but still digging...

"We're going to need a bigger shovel."
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 09:55
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

It turns out that it this obscure album is in truth, a historical artifact from an alternate future world, ravaged by the corporation documented in the album. It was an attempt by the descendants of the corporation's founder to warn the founder of the havoc his company will eventually wreak upon the world. Historical records had identified the founder to be a fan of progressive rock music so the artifact was sent to a store the founder had frequented as a youth. Unfortunately, due to a miscalculation of the time he would be entering the store, the original poster of this thread had found and purchased the album. Thus, we are on a path for this unfortunate future as documented by this obscure one-off album. 

Thanks, Sandy. I suspected you were only dead in a random access sort of way.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 05:30
Anybody mentioned the 1976 album Marscape? Not quite the diabolical corporations theme, but look at the lineup of British musicians:

- Jack Lancaster / Lyricon, saxophone, flutes, watergong
- Robin Lumley / piano, harmonium, synthesizers, autoharp, Hammond organ
- John Goodsall / guitars
- Percy Jones / bass, electronic percussion, watergong
- Phil Collins / drums, percussion
- Bernie Frost / voices
- Simon Jeffes / koto
- The Simon Jeffes Sring Quartet

The things Phil was able to get up to while Genesis reeled from Peter's departure!

Edited by BrufordFreak - December 01 2018 at 05:36
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 05:44
way to go Drew!!!!  It does fit his original notion that it might have been english... and a one off concept/corporation them...  fits all but his memories of the cover itself. Has the big names that would have meritted an import album into the states during a time when that music wasn't 'cool'.

we shall see?  Like David.. I love a good mystery haha.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 06:40
Hi,

Absolutely Elsewhere -- In Search of Ancient Gods ... which had Bill Bruford in it, and was a super nice album ... but as much as it might have been a "concept" based on that one guy's ideas and book ... one of the early new age goop books, but what the heck.

It's best feature was that it had the sounds of "space wind" that NASA had provided at that time, to impress us with their technology of sound in different levels of the spectrum.

It still is, for me, a very nice album ... and I kinda thought that a lot of reviews, trying to make this album this or that, or even "sounding like" ... really missed the mark altogether. 

The album did not get a lot of airplay as far as I know, except on Space Pirate Radio where a few copies were worn down quite a lot. BUT, to this day, reviews of this album, still miss the mark, and can only compare it to something else ... I had to tell a friend of mine to go review ASIA instead and compare it to Genesis, Yes and Elp!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 06:47

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:10
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 06:54

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:10
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 06:58
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

NP: Have You Seen The Saucers? 
(... super progressive rock thing!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 12:20
Another suggestion that doesn't quite meet the parameters but, heck, what the heck:

Zyma Thoughts

1978. Labeled "Canterbury"--which could give it British aspersions--but it's not a one off, and not really an all-star band or various artist concoction, and not really themed around corporate world takeover, and certainly not too obscure, but does have the black album cover with logo and song titles like "Businessman" "Thoughts" etc.

Just a long shot (to stay in the game!)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 12:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Absolutely Elsewhere -- In Search of Ancient Gods ... which had Bill Bruford in it, and was a super nice album ... but as much as it might have been a "concept" based on that one guy's ideas and book ... one of the early new age goop books, but what the heck.

Not to be "that guy," but it's Absolute Elsewhere — and yes, I dig it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>