Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s scifi concept album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 14:12

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:12
rgodfrey53 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 14:13

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:12
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 14:25
Originally posted by rgodfrey53 rgodfrey53 wrote:

Thanks. I loved Olias of Sunhillow, and it was released around time, but of course this does not solve the enigma of the phantom album.

We may have to try hypnosis. Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 14:40
Are you sure you'd know it if you saw or heard it?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 16:09

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 16:29
This may be a lifelong endeavor, you may need to make a nationwide used record store pilgrimage.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 18:16
I began the quest years ago.

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 06 2018 at 10:01
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 02:30
Originally posted by rgodfrey53 rgodfrey53 wrote:

Yes, I agree that it may have been a very limited release. Because of  the emergence of punk in the mid-seventies, and then the emergence of much more interesting post-punk around 1977, innovative prog was seeing fewer and fewer releases by this time, many quite limited. And yes, Google is useless. I have searched various websites and forums over the years. I thought casting a wider net with this general discussion forum might reach some old prog-head out there who may have picked it up, or a younger prog-head who might have stumbled upon it in a used vinyl bin, but it's starting to seem unlikely. But not impossible. My search continues.

One (or possibly two) thing(s) seem to argue against the extremely limited-local release idea. The first was your belief that it was an import. If it made it all the way to wherever you are from somewhere else, it seems reasonable to assume that it was quite a lot bigger wherever it came from (a reasonable number of artists and bands have defied this trend, of course)

The other more compelling argument is your recollection that this was a one-off by various artists.  Generally anything involving various artists collaborating on a project - particularly if they're from different labels - involves a fair bit of hoo-ha and usually a noticeable degree of investment and promotion. This wouldn't apply, for example, if it were simply a compilation of unknown garage bands from Akron, but a bunch of presumably contracted musicians from the 70's collaborating on a SF concept album doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would only be released/promoted in Cleveland or Leeds.

This obscurity might be explicable if it were promoted only in its native country, and its native country was somewhere unlikely to make it into widespread English language distribution (e.g. there were enough prog artists in Czechoslovakia in the early 80's to pitch something like this together) - but I think you said you thought it was likely British.

This is where something doesn't seem to gel for me.  Of course, there might be something nobody's thinking of. There were some heavily promoted projects by various very famous artists in the late 70's which are pretty much forgotten now. Some of you might still experience a reflexive wince if I mention 1978's 'Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' - a movie/project which was so loathed that I believe there has been an effort on the part of the collective consciousness to suppress any memory of its existence, despite its throwing together the Bee Gees, Alice cooper, Peter Frampton, and with George Martin as musical producer.

And when was the last time anyone reading this thought of 'All This and World War II' (1976), which threw together Peter Gabriel, Roy Wood, Elton John, The Bee Gees (again), Bryan Ferry, Jeff Lynne and God knows who else (though I'm not sure how much actual collaboration was going on).

True these are movies, which is why I asked earlier whether it was possible this could be a soundtrack album.

I seem to have made two slightly contradictory arguments:  that ornate and large collaborations between various artists for a one-off project tend not to be hometown affairs, but that they can also quickly be relegated to obscurity by virtue of never achieving either popular or cult success.  

Edited by Braka - December 06 2018 at 02:32
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 02:49
 ^ Good sleuthing.   My reflexive wince upon remembering the 'Sgt. Peppers' catastrophe was in the form of a barely discernible twitch of my left eyelid and a weak groan.   The costumes alone burned gold, pink and green images into the retinas of people who merely saw the promotional ads on TV.   Like the Kevin Bacon of pop, the BeeGees seem to have been the universal conduit between all realms of popular music in the 70s culminating in Saturday Night Fever.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 05:20

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:13
Turbocb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 07:58
The Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow album cover
Turbocb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:01
10,000 Anos Depois Entre Venus E Marte.jpg
Turbocb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:05
HopeKlaatuAlbumCover.jpg
Turbocb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:06
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot.jpg
Turbocb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:08
Space Jazz L. Ron Hubbard.jpg
Turbocb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 08:10
Rick Wakeman Journey to the Centre of the Earth.jpg
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 09:52

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:14
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by Turbocb Turbocb wrote:

Space Jazz L. Ron Hubbard.jpg

LOLLOLLOL
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 09:06
If we're flinging around ideas, I might as well admit that one of the first things that came into my head was the Hawklords album '25 Years On'. It was a one-off, was British, had a monotone (though not dark) cover, and was (apparently) about a huge corporation running everything:

"The entire concept found it's epitome in the accompanying tour-booklet... a huge futuristic mega-trust named PAN-TRANSCENDENTAL INDUSTRIES, that lined out it's futuristic techno-economical visions of the entire planet's future... - based on it's own word of the "industrialisation of religion"

- from Knut Gerwers site

And they even had an (admittedly small) logo on the front cover, with the phrase 'Reality you can rely on'

But it also had 'Hawklords' scrawled across the cover in shocking pink, plus considering the level of obscurity you've already eliminated, I doubt you'd have missed this.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 09:33
Nt necessarily a concept album, but FM's Black Noise is certainly a Sci-Fi'ish thingie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>