Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking some good music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking some good music
    Posted: December 23 2018 at 16:40
Hello!

Been listening to prog the past 9 years, but haven't really moved from the classics and Flower Kings and Transatlantic to anything new. This year I discovered Big Big Train, Beardfish and Southern Empire and find them amazing.

Does anybody have some recommendations for more music like that to listen to?

Thank you so much!

Ronnie
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 17:41
Based on the above, I'll give another plug for Mystery. A great Canadian melodic prog band who I got into belatedly with Delusion Rain and then continued with the new singer on the live album Second Home and the latest studio release, Lies and Butterflies.

Edited by Squonk19 - December 24 2018 at 01:40
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 19:04
Try Space Opera, not prog but a "uniquely American synthesis of pop, rock, country, folk, jazz, and even classical" (AllMusic). Very enjoyable if you want to settle into something other than prog for a bit.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 20:08
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Try Space Opera, not prog but a "uniquely American synthesis of pop, rock, country, folk, jazz, and even classical" (AllMusic). Very enjoyable if you want to settle into something other than prog for a bit.

The somewhat obscure US band from the early 70's?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 21:42
Some of the latest ones I have found: 7 Widows by Believe, Son by Obyimy Doschu, String Theory by Georgius, Remedies by Soup.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 13:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The somewhat obscure US band from the early 70's?
Precisely! Read a good article about them at nodepression.com/article/lost-space-epic-saga-fort-worths-space-opera.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 14:17
^ I listened to some stuff on youtube and it sounded pretty good. It vaguely reminded me of some Barclay James Harvest. I'll have to check out that article. 
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 15:05
Some others:
Unitopia
The dear hunter
Silhouette
Seven steps to the green door
RPWL
Phideaux
Glasshammer

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 21:16
Iamthemorning too should be interesting to check out.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 23:43
Originally posted by Moonlighter Moonlighter wrote:

Hello!

Been listening to prog the past 9 years, but haven't really moved from the classics and Flower Kings and Transatlantic to anything new. This year I discovered Big Big Train, Beardfish and Southern Empire and find them amazing.

Does anybody have some recommendations for more music like that to listen to?

Thank you so much!

Ronnie

Ever listened to (Canada's) Saga?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 00:13
The Tangent

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Jorganh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jorganh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 16:29
I recently discovered:

Wobbler
Toundra
Wigwam
Anekdoten
Ozric Tentacles
The Pineapple Thief
Kingston Wall
Quantum Fantay
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 00:13
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The Tangent

Proxy is superb indeed

I would also check out IO Earth - Solitude and Haken - Vector (but maybe try The Mountain first as that is an easy 'in')

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 08:19
How about Kaipa Da Capo?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 15:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The Tangent

Proxy is superb indeed

I would also check out IO Earth - Solitude and Haken - Vector (but maybe try The Mountain first as that is an easy 'in')

I have just found out about a few IO Earth songs and they are really beautiful. I'll be checking the whole album next.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 20:14
IO Earth was also recommended to me the other day by a friend!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 08:42
Wobbler

Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 05:09
I'd recommend Lux Terminus and their debut album, The Courage to Be. It's heavily piano-based, and features what might be considered a djent playing style on the piano by pianist Vikram Shankar. Really energetic at times, and really calming and quiet at other times.
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 06:51
If you want prog that is rockier try Arena.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 09:20
Originally posted by Oganesson Oganesson wrote:

I'd recommend Lux Terminus and their debut album, The Courage to Be. It's heavily piano-based, and features what might be considered a djent playing style on the piano by pianist Vikram Shankar. Really energetic at times, and really calming and quiet at other times.

Interesting that they aren't on this website. However, they are on aural moon(online prog radio station) so if someone is a member on there you can request one of their tracks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>