Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 21st Century Prog Among the Giants of the 1970s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21st Century Prog Among the Giants of the 1970s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21st Century Prog Among the Giants of the 1970s
    Posted: December 24 2018 at 09:01
Question, fellow prog lovers:

Can a 21st Century progressive rock album ever hope to be loved and appreciated as much as anything from the "Classic Era" of progressive rock (i.e. the 70s)?

I hear modern music that, in my opinion, stands up to, compares to, even surpasses many of the revered albums from the 60s and 70s--some that even achieve high enough ratings to take a place among the PA Top 100 (like Wobbler's From Silence to Somewhere, several Steven Wilson and Porcupine releases, Riverside's Second Life Syndrome, IQ's The Road of Bones, Änglagård's Viljans Öga, Opeth's Ghost Reveries, Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element, Part 1 and Remedy Lane, Tool's Lateralus, and, occasionally, Devy's Terria, and maudlin of The Well's Part the Second, as well as a couple Dream Theater albums from the late 1990s), but I wonder if any modern album can truly ever have a chance to take its place among the hearts of we progheads who were around in the 60s and 70s--whose allegiances to the "classic" albums are built around the significant emotionally-charged events of our youths. 

This discussion thread is prompted, of course, by the arrival of ALL TRAPS OF EARTH's November release, A Drop of Light. This astonishing album is truly the first album since Part the Second whose stunning freshness and compositional perfection make me think, "This could be one of the best albums ever made! Ever!"

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely, 

Drew Fisher aka BrufordFreak

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 09:20
I think a lot of modern prog is superb! I tend to play newer prog music much more than the classic era material - largely because the older stuff it is so familiar to me and I do like finding new discoveries, with production values to match. It is great to dive back into the 70s catalogue and wallow in their glory, but I find I have trouble keeping up with all the new releases - many self-released, or on Bandcamp etc. I haven't done a personal top 100 albums for a while, but I know many albums from 2000 onwards would be in there and pushing out some of the older albums in places.

I just find it a real shame that so many great musicians will never have the commercial success and recognition their efforts deserve, and would have got if they had been signed up in the 70s to larger record companies. Of course, there were probably just as many unsung heroes in those days who we never got to hear - so it is our gain that the prog 'cottage industry' is flourishing - even if the musicians are doing it more for love than reward, and sadly losing out to the illegal download culture that affects all musicians over the last decade or so.

Let me raise a festive glass to all you musicians keeping the prog flame flickering!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 09:23
Hmm...this is a sticky wicket. I personally have never experienced any prog produced after the age of the 'seventies classics that holds the same impact for me. And I'm talking about the subgenres of electric, heavy, and symphonic prog, which is my listening preference. However, when someone tells me that a 21st century experimental/RIO/Avant artist is as mind blowing as any from the 'seventies, then I have to believe them as the musical disciplines are vastly different from those of electric and heavy prog. To put it simply experimental can never reach a sort of climax that other prog subgenres have and that's why so much of genres like neo-prog sound repetitive to people. Then we have the copycat of retro prog that really can't be innovative on the face of what the artists is trying to accomplish.

Please hold off on all angry responses to this post until after the holidays. Thanks. Wink

Edited by SteveG - December 24 2018 at 09:24
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 09:48
The beloved Prog albums from the 70's sold in the millions. So, no.

With that said I had a similar feeling about Wobbler's From Silence To Somewhere.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 09:56
Interesting question &  you can come a couple of different ways. If we are asking ourselves objectively is there any music out there that is as good as the classic prog of 70's I think the answer is yes, there is lots of great stuff out there. But here's the thing , people tend to get very nostalgic with music. We love what we grew up with so I think that music tends to resonate with us more.That doesn't mean the newer stuff isn't good. 

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 10:00
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Interesting question &  you can come a couple of different ways. If we are asking ourselves objectively is there any music out there that is as good as the classic prog of 70's I think the answer is yes, there is lots of great stuff out there. But here's the thing , people tend to get very nostalgic with music. We love what we grew up with so I think that music tends to resonate with us more.That doesn't mean the newer stuff isn't good. 

Agreed! I think this is exactly why the newer stuff will never generate the loyalty that the old "classics" do. Thanks!

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 10:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Hmm...this is a sticky wicket. I personally have never experienced any prog produced after the age of the 'seventies classics that holds the same impact for me. And I'm talking about the subgenres of electric, heavy, and symphonic prog, which is my listening preference. However, when someone tells me that a 21st century experimental/RIO/Avant artist is as mind blowing as any from the 'seventies, then I have to believe them as the musical disciplines are vastly different from those of electric and heavy prog. To put it simply experimental can never reach a sort of climax that other prog subgenres have and that's why so much of genres like neo-prog sound repetitive to people. Then we have the copycat of retro prog that really can't be innovative on the face of what the artists is trying to accomplish.

Please hold off on all angry responses to this post until after the holidays. Thanks. Wink

No hate here, Steve! Your stance is exactly what I expect--and one that is surprisingly familiar to me, as well. Those old classics had an emotional impact that many of the modern "masterpieces" lack!
Drew Fisher
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 10:22
We live in good times for prog. The height of the 70s giants may seem unreachable for modern day mortals, yet some albums of the post-classic era can be numbered among the classics:

Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase
Maudlin of the Well - Part the Second
Big Big Train - English Electric (Part One) (and maybe Grimspound)
Anekdoten - Until All the Ghosts Are Gone
Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere (time will tell, but this may be a good candidate as well)

Just to mention a few...

Edited by someone_else - December 24 2018 at 10:23
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 10:29
I'm with Steve on this one: the 70's classics are the most special albums for me.

I've listened to the Anglagards, and the Steven Wilsons, and the Wobblers. All good enough, but never going to compete with the 70's classics in my mind.

I think the 70's had a zeitgeist that the modern era just doesn't have.

Music is much better when artists really feel they are part of something bigger and their music can actually change things.

A lot of the big 70's bands really thought that their music was changing both music and society. I don't think many modern artists think like that.

I think about Jon Anderson wanting to make rock music into an art form, or Gentle Giant wanting to "expand the frontiers of contemporary music at the risk of being deeply unpopular".

How many modern artists hold such lofty ambitions when they make music? Not many I think.

It was a different time, when bands thought big and experimented like hell.

The 70's for me every time.
Songs cast a light on you
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 10:29
I think your answer has already been proven with Wobbler's 2017 epic "From Silence To Somewhere" nested in the current top 20 here and All Traps On Earth's 2018 blockbuster "A Drop Of Light" having just entered the top 20 and evoking that classic era vibe. The short answer is YES but only for extremely rare cases. 

Personally while i love the golden era and consistently dig deeper, i'm in love with modern progressive ideas and don't find any battle amongst the decades. It's ALL good in my world and i hold no particular fondness for the golden age because i didn't experience it in its day. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 11:13
My listening is very limited but I would say Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot. Erase is up there with some of the best of all time. I'm pretty sure it's in the top 100 on this site(I'll have to check). There's some albums from the 90's that probably at least rivals the 70's greats also like Spock's Beard's "the light" and Anglagard's "hybris" to name just a couple.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 11:43
Just a few disconnected thoughts. I love modern music for sure, but there is  something special about the early 70s in rock, not just prog rock.  It isn't "nostalgia for my youth" in my case because I was too young to be involved with that era.

Generally, albums today are often so long, so loud, and have that modern production that I can't really appreciate as much. When I think of the classics, I like the fact that they are so much shorter, so much warmer, full of space.  Not every song was intended to be "epic of epics!"  Think about certain short tracks on Meddle or Atom Heart just as an example.  They seemed like some guys just kicking back and playing without it having to be some huge thing.  Maybe it was just capturing the feel of a morning in the country.   And sometimes the smaller pre-internet world and regional sound vibe is helpful...British albums often *sounded* very British, same with Italian/French. Some still do, but some are more affected by outside influences/generic/samey songwriting and perhaps I like those more distinct regional vibes.  Then when these bands did try swinging for the fences of longer "epics," the tracks were paced and constructed, but still warm and inviting. Piano. Quiet spots. I dunno. I have no real answer, except that I feel the reason is more about album sound and vibe than nostalgia or changing the world, for me.  Warm is the word that keeps coming back to me. Early 70s albums felt like candlelight while modern albums feel very 6000K icy-blue if you're familiar with the Kelvin scale. 

Again, I enjoy new music too so this is no indictment of modern music and, hopefully, isn't taken as negative.

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 11:59
The "new kids on the block" might do completely enjoyable music with loads of talented musicians and vocalists, but no one compares to the early prog giants (Crimson, ELP, Floyd, Yes, Tull, etc) in terms of innovation. Their innovation was driven heavily by the new appearance of instruments like the the Moog synthesizer and Mellotron, the incorporation of classical instruments (flute, oboe, violin), the incorporation of Arabic, Raja, and Asian motifs, the movement away from the standard blues-based rock and roll compositions, a focus on mastery of their instruments and musicianship, and lots of drugs. It occurred in a era where the big music companies had complete control over a relatively small (by today's standards) number of bands. Some bands broke away from the mundane rock & roll pack to do something completely new, and because they had the backing of the big record companies, they got a lot of promotion, airplay, album distribution, live concerts, etc. which really helped them to cement their place in history. They defined the genre we now refer to as "prog". Their innovation and long-lasting impact on music is one of the reasons why they are still loved and appreciated today. Today's prog bands are simply not doing anything as radically different or innovative.

That being said, I must confess that most of what I listen to now is music from the "new kids" -- mostly because it is fresh and new and I haven't listened to it thousands of times over the last 40-50 years. There is great, enjoyable music being made, but it doesn't hold a candle to the innovation of the classical-era prog masters.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 12:06
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I think a lot of modern prog is superb! I tend to play newer prog music much more than the classic era material - largely because the older stuff it is so familiar to me and I do like finding new discoveries, with production values to match. It is great to dive back into the 70s catalogue and wallow in their glory, but I find I have trouble keeping up with all the new releases - many self-released, or on Bandcamp etc. I haven't done a personal top 100 albums for a while, but I know many albums from 2000 onwards would be in there and pushing out some of the older albums in places.

I just find it a real shame that so many great musicians will never have the commercial success and recognition their efforts deserve, and would have got if they had been signed up in the 70s to larger record companies. Of course, there were probably just as many unsung heroes in those days who we never got to hear - so it is our gain that the prog 'cottage industry' is flourishing - even if the musicians are doing it more for love than reward, and sadly losing out to the illegal download culture that affects all musicians over the last decade or so.

Let me raise a festive glass to all you musicians keeping the prog flame flickering!

Well said! I am fortunate enough to have the time and wherewithall to celebrate 21st Century artists--partly because I want to do whatever I can to perhaps promote them, partly because their music and talents inspire me--but I've also discovered, thanks to PA, so many incredibly talented and worthy artists from the 70s that flew under the radar. Sad!  
Drew Fisher
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 12:14
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

The beloved Prog albums from the 70's sold in the millions. So, no.

With that said I had a similar feeling about Wobbler's From Silence To Somewhere.

Pretty much.   It would be the Wobblers, Anglagards, and Tangents that will likely have staying power.   Also some stuff from KC like Power to Believe may hold up.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

The "new kids on the block" might do completely enjoyable music with loads of talented musicians and vocalists, but no one compares to the early prog giants (Crimson, ELP, Floyd, Yes, Tull, etc) in terms of innovation. Their innovation was driven heavily by the new appearance of instruments like the the Moog synthesizer and Mellotron, the incorporation of classical instruments (flute, oboe, violin), the incorporation of Arabic, Raja, and Asian motifs, the movement away from the standard blues-based rock and roll compositions, a focus on mastery of their instruments and musicianship, and lots of drugs. It occurred in a era where the big music companies had complete control over a relatively small (by today's standards) number of bands. Some bands broke away from the mundane rock & roll pack to do something completely new, and because they had the backing of the big record companies, they got a lot of promotion, airplay, album distribution, live concerts, etc. which really helped them to cement their place in history. They defined the genre we now refer to as "prog". Their innovation and long-lasting impact on music is one of the reasons why they are still loved and appreciated today. Today's prog bands are simply not doing anything as radically different or innovative.

That being said, I must confess that most of what I listen to now is music from the "new kids" -- mostly because it is fresh and new and I haven't listened to it thousands of times over the last 40-50 years. There is great, enjoyable music being made, but it doesn't hold a candle to the innovation of the classical-era prog masters.

I agree, Wiz(ar)d Kid! But, like I said in the original post, a few--and i mean a very few --albums have presented themselves in this century who seem to qualify for that "innovative" label. That said, it is really difficult to be innovative with a limited number of sounds human instruments and voices can produce. The Fairlight CMI, drum machines, Berlin School sequencers, sampling, allowed for innovation--but in a direction that alienated us because it was de-humanizing the music. I think we progheads relish--even revere--the capacity for humans to synthesize, create, and perform, but only when it is human skill that is the ultimate mover behind the sound (i.e., technical skill, mental "mathematical" focus, "mind-blowing" creativity).
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 12:30
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Just a few disconnected thoughts. I love modern music for sure, but there is  something special about the early 70s in rock, not just prog rock.  It isn't "nostalgia for my youth" in my case because I was too young to be involved with that era.

Generally, albums today are often so long, so loud, and have that modern production that I can't really appreciate as much. When I think of the classics, I like the fact that they are so much shorter, so much warmer, full of space.  Not every song was intended to be "epic of epics!"  Think about certain short tracks on Meddle or Atom Heart just as an example.  They seemed like some guys just kicking back and playing without it having to be some huge thing.  Maybe it was just capturing the feel of a morning in the country.   And sometimes the smaller pre-internet world and regional sound vibe is helpful...British albums often *sounded* very British, same with Italian/French. Some still do, but some are more affected by outside influences/generic/samey songwriting and perhaps I like those more distinct regional vibes.  Then when these bands did try swinging for the fences of longer "epics," the tracks were paced and constructed, but still warm and inviting. Piano. Quiet spots. I dunno. I have no real answer, except that I feel the reason is more about album sound and vibe than nostalgia or changing the world, for me.  Warm is the word that keeps coming back to me. Early 70s albums felt like candlelight while modern albums feel very 6000K icy-blue if you're familiar with the Kelvin scale. 

Again, I enjoy new music too so this is no indictment of modern music and, hopefully, isn't taken as negative.

No, not at all! This actually feels like a less charged, less "I'm right and you're wrong" discussion thread. I'm please for that. 

I like your "6000K icy-blue" "Kelvin" comparison! I tend to call it "soul-less" or "de-humanized"--and I understand exactly what you're talking about. I've felt that way ever since Terry C. and TD started computer/sequencing things--and definitely when Linn, Simmons, Fairlight, and MIDI came along and wehn Phil's "gated drums" took over. "Clean" sound may have actually been the separation point. I don't know. I'm just rambling. 

I like compositions that feel as if the humans were trying to solve some kind of problems--or the ones in which they're trying to express something very special to them--either cerebral or spiritual. Blah, blah, blah. 

Sorry.
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 12:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

My listening is very limited but I would say Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot. Erase is up there with some of the best of all time. I'm pretty sure it's in the top 100 on this site(I'll have to check). There's some albums from the 90's that probably at least rivals the 70's greats also like Spock's Beard's "the light" and Anglagard's "hybris" to name just a couple.

I agree with regards to H.C.E.--as well as with several other Wilson projects (Fear of a Blank Planet and other earlier individual PT songs). In my opinion, Steven has occasionally been able to capture the zeitgeist of our times like no other prog artist--and I say this even though I am NOT a lyrics guy! Sometimes the things that are said in a song just pierce through my deafness. 
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 12:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think your answer has already been proven with Wobbler's 2017 epic "From Silence To Somewhere" nested in the current top 20 here and All Traps On Earth's 2018 blockbuster "A Drop Of Light" having just entered the top 20 and evoking that classic era vibe. The short answer is YES but only for extremely rare cases. 

Personally while i love the golden era and consistently dig deeper, i'm in love with modern progressive ideas and don't find any battle amongst the decades. It's ALL good in my world and i hold no particular fondness for the golden age because i didn't experience it in its day. 

That may be the difference:  We "old-timers" who were there, in the thick of the rise and fall of the classic rock/art rock/progressive rock era, may be forever tainted. It may be impossible for us to "rise above" our conditioning!
Drew Fisher
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 12:42
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

The "new kids on the block" might do completely enjoyable music with loads of talented musicians and vocalists, but no one compares to the early prog giants (Crimson, ELP, Floyd, Yes, Tull, etc) in terms of innovation

Not sure i agree with that totally. Remember that many bands of that era haven't become well known or respected until the modern era. In effect it took 40 years for the majority of golden era prog to become reverred as much as they have.

Same goes for music of the 80s, 90s and the current era.

There are bands that are just as innovative now that are 40 years ahead of their day just like those bands were and most music lovers only now catching up to the golden era won't recognize their true genius. Bands like Secret Chiefs 3, Satanique Samba Trio, Atman, Azure Emote, Bumblefoot, Dodheimsgard, Unexpect, Jean Louis, Stabscotch just to name a very few are utterly unique and have forged exciting new musical paths in the modern era. Buried beneath the massive wealth of music and ignored by those who are stuck in retro mode, they probably won't ever be recognized for their awesomeness until they are re-examined decades down the road. It's weird how this works.

While new instrumentation was a factor in the old days, there are infinately more sounds available on a modern synthesizer than the entire music universe of yestercentury. Still, i get your drift. The first wave of prog is special because it created that whole new world of possibilities and in the beginning there was less competition.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>