Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sweden calling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweden calling
    Posted: December 26 2018 at 08:55
Hello, goth in Sweden, just joined.
Some favourite bands, goth, metal, new wave: well my user name tells you two straightaway London After Midnight and Sex Gang Children. Cardiacs, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Lycia, In The Woods, Tiamat, Cinema Strange, Kate Bush, The Third and the Mortal, Atrox, Alien Sex Fiend, Cruachan, Månegarm, Magazine, Ereb Altor, Draconian, Avantasia, Edguy, Hammerfall, Powerwolf, Truckfighters, DAF, Kraftwerk, Gary Numan, Clan of Xymox, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, The Veil, Rose of Avalanche, Jethro Tull, Deathstars, The Danse Society, Morrissey, Motorhead, Arena, Depeche Mode, Human League, Rosetta Stone,Therion, Avatarium, Lene Lovich, Nina Hagen, Lykantropi, The Mission, Sisters of Mercy, De/Vision, Lithium, Black Sabbath, Wishbone Ash, Dio, Saxon, Maiden, Quartz, Raven, Within Temptation, Diva Destruction, Faith And The Muse, Sero Overdose, Fields Of The Nephilim, Bauhaus, Uriah Heep, Inkubus Sukkubus, Xmal Deutschland, All About Eve, Anathema, Treibhaus, Switchblade Symphony, Theatre of Tragedy, Combichrist, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Benjamin Britten.

I'm going to Wave-Gotik-Treffen in Leipzig in June. 

Edited by LAM-SGC - December 26 2018 at 18:51
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 12:28
Welcome ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 16:06
Welcome! I can't say I share your musical taste in general, as it seems to be more on the goth/metal side, and I'm more of a classic prog head, but I'm sure you're musical tastes will add an interesting perspective to forum discussions. Enjoy!
Songs cast a light on you
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 17:52
Thanks. I do listen to  classic rock/prog as well and have done so since the 70s, apart from Jethro Tull, already mentioned, I like Mike Oldfield, JM Jarre, Camel, Queen, Deep Purple, Moody Blues, PH, Rainbow, post-Gabriel Genesis, pre-WYWH Pink Floyd, early ELP, early Gentle Giant and a few King Crimson albums, as for YES, only CTTE, Fragile and TFTO. As for neo, Fish era Marillion, Pallas, IQ, Twelfth Night. And some of the contemporary folk bands of the day Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Stealers Wheel and later Gerry Rafferty, Gryphon, Decameron, Silly Sisters....never understood what Lindisfarne were trying to be though.  

Edited by LAM-SGC - December 26 2018 at 18:53
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 18:17
Welcome!  I'm into some goth too and consider Christian Death (the Rozz Williams albums anyway) to be prog to my ears Wink

Great to see another My Dying Bride fan Thumbs Up

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 26 2018 at 18:17
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 18:59
Never been a fan of Christian Death, but without getting into a massive discussion about it, we have very different ideas of what prog is if you hear prog in Christian Death, I hear goth not prog.  

My favourite album by My Dying Bride is Like Gods of the Sun, best song on there A Kiss To Remember.

Edited by LAM-SGC - December 26 2018 at 19:23
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 06:58
Welcome...I see your ears go all over the place, as do mine.  This is a good place to discover new music and there are some great discussions about.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 07:25
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Welcome...I see your ears go all over the place, as do mine.  This is a good place to discover new music and there are some great discussions about.

Thanks. Yes I listen to lots of styles. 
MOSTLY: metal/hard rock, Darkwave (goth, EBM, synth, electronica, avantgarde) New Wave, classical, pronk.

OCCASIONALLY: classic/prog rock, punk, folk, ska, reggae, 60s pop/psych, real country, cajun.

NEVER: Radio pop/pap, soul, blues, jazz, r n b, rap, house, garage, fusion, world music, classical pre 1800s, military, brass band.     
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 08:04
Our preferred styles cross and diverge, that is the beauty of music.  You will find others of like mind here, assuredly.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 08:10
Thanks, Nice to know. OR? Oregon?

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 08:29
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Bauhaus
so were you at the concert?

Goth is not my bag but any sane person loves Kraftwerk (plus an additional dozen or so of your late new wave/electronic 70's early 80's faves).

...anyway welcome. Considering the genres you namecheck that you mostly listen to you should potentially enjoy quite a lot of prog-related electronic and avantprog-stuff...

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 08:55
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Bauhaus
so were you at the concert?

Sadly no, I've never seen them live. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 09:27

Thanks, Nice to know. OR? Oregon?

Yes, OR, the "wine country," of the Willamette Valley
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 12:51

Never been a fan of Christian Death, but without getting into a massive discussion about it, we have very different ideas of what prog is if you hear prog in Christian Death, I hear goth not prog.  

My favourite album by My Dying Bride is Like Gods of the Sun, best song on there A Kiss To Remember.

That's ok, we also disagree about My Dying Bride.  I love the 1st 2 EP's, As the Flower Withers and Turn Loose the Swans.  After they ditched the growling I lost interest LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply