Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re-issues in 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-issues in 2019
    Posted: January 01 2019 at 08:09

Personally, I am excited about the CD re-issues of Greenslade’s albums on Esoteric Recordings that stared in 2018. I already have the self-titled debut, Bedside Manners Are Extra, and Spyglass Guest. These new versions are newly remastered and are all 2-disc sets (in one case the bonus disc is a DVD). I’m not overly excited about the bonus tracks on these, as it is mostly BBC sessions. But the packaging is great; they come in digipacks, which looks so much better than jewel cases. Time And Tide will be released in February. And I hope that Large Afternoon will also be included. 

Esoteric Recordings is also bringing out Renaissance’s albums in new remasters on CD in digipacks. So far Prologue is out, and Ashes Are Burning has been announced for February. I hope it will continue with the rest of the band’s albums.

Which re-issues are you excited about in 2019? And which re-issues would you like to see this year and beyond?

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 08:35

Another one I'm hoping for is a new remaster of Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record. I was glad when No Earthly Connection was re-issued on CD recently, as it was not widely available on CD before.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 14:40
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Personally, I am excited about the CD re-issues of Greenslade’s albums on Esoteric Recordings that stared in 2018. I already have the self-titled debut, Bedside Manners Are Extra, and Spyglass Guest. These new versions are newly remastered and are all 2-disc sets (in one case the bonus disc is a DVD). I’m not overly excited about the bonus tracks on these, as it is mostly BBC sessions. But the packaging is great; they come in digipacks, which looks so much better than jewel cases. Time And Tide will be released in February. And I hope that Large Afternoon will also be included. 

Cool!  I love the 1st 4 Greenslade albums and will give these reissues a close look Wink
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 15:04
Reissue of Third Ear Band's Macbeth, remastered and with some extra tracks - also on Esoteric.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 15:06
big Greenslade fan, sounds interesting if they really are newly remastered, those albums could use it

Criminal Record?   Yeah maybe but I kinda like its raw sound.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 02:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

big Greenslade fan, sounds interesting if they really are newly remastered, those albums could use it

Criminal Record?   Yeah maybe but I kinda like its raw sound.

As far as I am aware, Criminal Record has only been released on CD in Japan. And that version was probably just a vinyl transfer. I never owned it on CD, but I have some mp3's - they sound raw indeed.

No Earthly Connection was in a similar situation until it was finally reissued on CD worldwide just recently. I hope the same will happen to Criminal Record, and then also Rhapsodies.

The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Myths and Legends of King Arthur, and No Earthly Connection have all so far been re-issued in regular CD, deluxe editions, and vinyl LP versions. I hoped that the rest of Wakeman's A&M albums would follow, but nothing further has been announced.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 04:02
2019 is likely to be a year without new additions regardless of reissues.  Oh well.  It's 1995 in my chronolizing and I will move forwar.  Still I have 2018 and 2017 additions to go back/forward to.  Maybe I should start a go fund me page or something...  Nah.  Would any of you contribute to me making additions to my collection other than Gayle Ellett.  And that's without having any such page...  Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 00:28
Criminal Record is a good shout. Judas Iscariot has long been my favourite RW track. Also I think it was the last album he made before be moved away from his traditional keyboard rig (Hammond , Moog etc) . Squire and White are also dynamite on the 'ELP like' tracks.

Anyone get last years re-issue of Be Bop Deluxe's Sunburst Finish? I thought that was perfect. There were actually some very nice re-issues last year including IQ's Ever and Mansun's Attack Of The Green Lantern some more of that would be good.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 00:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Mansun's Attack Of The Green Lantern
The one with Batman on tambourine and backing vocals...?

Edited by Mascodagama - January 03 2019 at 00:56
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 07:00
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Reissue of Third Ear Band's Macbeth, remastered and with some extra tracks - also on Esoteric.

All of this band's albums need to be released ... this soundtrack is not any better than the rest of their material, but the attitude and recording style is very raw and in my mind quite on par with its "nature" and "source" of the material within its original time and place. 

To hear this "redone" in a digital setting, would take away the reality that made this work so strong, and unusual for all of us, and make something that all of a sudden sounded so much like modern music, and yet, in the way it's done, it is 500 years old ... digitizing that is not necessary I do not think ... although cleaned up recordings to get rid of some of the pops in the LP's is always a GREAT thing.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 14:28
I'm also a fan of Greenslade...so I'll ck those out.
:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 06:39
Hi,

I'm not happy with these news at all ... there are a lot of things out there that deserve a touch or two, and they are being ignored.

Some of the early Harvest label stuff deserves a touch up, specially Kevin Ayers and Roy Harper. And then hearing that the Macbeth Soundtrack is getting a touch, but nothing about the other Third Ear Band stuff, is weird, and out of line. The Sdtk fits the Roman Polanski directed film very well, but it is not as valuable and strong as the other albums and how they feel. The Quatermass album also could use a touch up ... because that album is magnificent ... but no one wants to take the star out of Dio for one song, and then, those same fans will say that the organ/keyboard work is over done all over the album ... it isn't ... it's magnificent, and its only equal (or similar) power organ/keyboard work that you can really find and enjoy non stop is ELP. The same thing goes for the Edgar Broughton Band, that we continually ignore, and how so much of their music and words has stood up to the time ... and its value in lyrics ... it's almost like nothing has changed since!

Those are just some of them ... and it's not that as Pink Floyd's friends' label, they could not afford to touch almost all of their catalog, but I think that two folks think that their home studios are more important ... and make a conventional song, instead of helping the material that was really valuable and strong and served the time and place so well.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 00:19

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Mansun's Attack Of The Green Lantern
The one with Batman on tambourine and backing vocals...?

LOL Clap

doesn't help being colour blindLOL
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 01:47

Looking forward to Tangerine Dream Virgin Years boxset remixed by Steven Wilson.
Haven't found any details yet on what it will contain exactly, I certainly hope it will focus on 74-77 and contain some unreleased material...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:44
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Looking forward to Tangerine Dream Virgin Years boxset remixed by Steven Wilson.
Haven't found any details yet on what it will contain exactly, I certainly hope it will focus on 74-77 and contain some unreleased material...

I posted on this on the TD forums.

I'm not sure that this is a good thing, and a good mix. SW is interesting as a rock star and such, but as a person studying and enjoying music in a completely different idiom than his own, he will not do a good job.

1. TD is not about "solo's". SW's recording style is about his showing up above everything else, and his soloing taking center stage, and the keyboard work being buried in the mix as a secondary instrument and not being a strong part/drive of the whole piece of music. No part of TD, should be separated as a "solo", until the 1990's and even then, I did not consider the guitar, or Linda's saxophone and flute as a solo ... it is a driving force for the piece of music.

2. SW is about voice and guitar in that order. TD has no such vision or distribution of their music.

3. The early material on the LP's had a mix style that went left and right, and kinda of all around, that was specially beautiful for things like "Mysterious Semblance" and was perfect for "Atem", "Phaedra" "Rubycon" and "Stratosfear". I seriously doubt that any touch that SW makes will improve that, since SW's idea of a "re-mix" is to separate the instruments even more and thenn bring them together again in the same room in a different location ... this works for a rock band, but does not work for electronics that are about meshing the sound together into one sphere of experience ... few rock bands, if any, can even consider or do this because they are too enfatuated with "rock'n'roll", and that includes SW.

4. I'm not sure that the "original" sounds of the Synthesizer in those days, really needs anything, other than a possible RECORDING CLEAN UP to make the sounds crisper ... but knowing SW, he will turn this into a rock band for the year 2000 and for fans that don't like TD, because it has no lyrics and a steady beat, like so many folks do in a prog board or two.

5. To bring about, the time and place that created something, is always a wonderful concept and idea. It always succeeds in giving us a slight idea of what it was like and how the folks involved might have thought and created this work. With TD, or even Beaver and Krause, Terry Riley, and other pioneers of the instrument, this modern exercise is silly, since the work and music involved was not about rock music and popular music at all ... it was about learning what this thing here could do, and where it took them, and some found this in it, and others found something else in it.  I seriously doubt that SW can feel that and understand that, since in his own words and ideas, he "knows" what he wants ... meaning there is little space for what is already there, and for what it was originally created for ... which has nothing to do with his ideas!

The history of music, has a lot of interpretations and revisions over time. I can see how TODAY, a Beethoven or Tchaikovsky would not come anywhere near what it sounded like or was like in those days, in venues that did not even have enough heat to make sure that all instruments stayed in tune for an hour and be able to conclude a piece of music that long. Seeing these "redone" by a SW, is another INTERPRETATION of the music, and I seriously doubt that it can improve anything, except clean up some little hiss and pops and other noises that 99% of us will never hear. So, this is like Bernstein doing Stravinsky, as opposed to you hearing Stravinsky doing Stravinsky, which is really different as one piece appears to flow much better than the previous one!

It is possible that SW will make this better, but it won't be for people that heard this stuff when it first came out, when it was a NEW SOUND, and A NEW ATMOSPHERE, and A NEW EXPERIENCE in music, that no one had done before. This kind of experience is gone today, and today's audience is not as exposed to new things as we were 50 years ago, in order to be able to make a really good distinction between the two (read my review of THE WALL for a comparative review!).

One last slight detail ... these days I am on Social Security and barely make enough peanuts to live, and being able to even buy one CD a month ... I haven't bought any in over 6 months, just to give you an idea. The chances of me being able to get and listen to SW's version are minimal, and I doubt that a commercial success like him, is nice enough to offer a copy for my indulgence. So with that said ... SW, plz stick to your own work, which is very good.

www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 04:10

A re-issue programme that I really liked is the recent one of Emerson Lake & Palmer. Over 2016 and 2017, all of their albums were re-issued in batches on CD, vinyl LP, and digital downloads. The CD versions come in gorgeous digipacks, and (with the sole exception of Love Beach) are all two disc sets. I have all the studio albums on CD in these new versions plus Brain Salad Surgery and Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends on vinyl LP (the latter being a massive 3LP set).

In every case, the first CD has a new remaster of the original album. And in the case of some of the early albums, the bonus disc holds Steven Wilson remixes plus other bonus tracks. Personally, I would never pay for Steven Wilson's remixes separately, but they are fine as bonus tracks, and bring out some new aspects of the old recordings.

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 04:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

I posted on this on the TD forums.

I'm not sure that this is a good thing, and a good mix. SW is interesting as a rock star and such, but as a person studying and enjoying music in a completely different idiom than his own, he will not do a good job.

1. TD is not about "solo's". SW's recording style is about his showing up above everything else, and his soloing taking center stage, and the keyboard work being buried in the mix as a secondary instrument and not being a strong part/drive of the whole piece of music. No part of TD, should be separated as a "solo", until the 1990's and even then, I did not consider the guitar, or Linda's saxophone and flute as a solo ... it is a driving force for the piece of music.

2. SW is about voice and guitar in that order. TD has no such vision or distribution of their music.

3. The early material on the LP's had a mix style that went left and right, and kinda of all around, that was specially beautiful for things like "Mysterious Semblance" and was perfect for "Atem", "Phaedra" "Rubycon" and "Stratosfear". I seriously doubt that any touch that SW makes will improve that, since SW's idea of a "re-mix" is to separate the instruments even more and thenn bring them together again in the same room in a different location ... this works for a rock band, but does not work for electronics that are about meshing the sound together into one sphere of experience ... few rock bands, if any, can even consider or do this because they are too enfatuated with "rock'n'roll", and that includes SW.

4. I'm not sure that the "original" sounds of the Synthesizer in those days, really needs anything, other than a possible RECORDING CLEAN UP to make the sounds crisper ... but knowing SW, he will turn this into a rock band for the year 2000 and for fans that don't like TD, because it has no lyrics and a steady beat, like so many folks do in a prog board or two.

5. To bring about, the time and place that created something, is always a wonderful concept and idea. It always succeeds in giving us a slight idea of what it was like and how the folks involved might have thought and created this work. With TD, or even Beaver and Krause, Terry Riley, and other pioneers of the instrument, this modern exercise is silly, since the work and music involved was not about rock music and popular music at all ... it was about learning what this thing here could do, and where it took them, and some found this in it, and others found something else in it.  I seriously doubt that SW can feel that and understand that, since in his own words and ideas, he "knows" what he wants ... meaning there is little space for what is already there, and for what it was originally created for ... which has nothing to do with his ideas!

The history of music, has a lot of interpretations and revisions over time. I can see how TODAY, a Beethoven or Tchaikovsky would not come anywhere near what it sounded like or was like in those days, in venues that did not even have enough heat to make sure that all instruments stayed in tune for an hour and be able to conclude a piece of music that long. Seeing these "redone" by a SW, is another INTERPRETATION of the music, and I seriously doubt that it can improve anything, except clean up some little hiss and pops and other noises that 99% of us will never hear. So, this is like Bernstein doing Stravinsky, as opposed to you hearing Stravinsky doing Stravinsky, which is really different as one piece appears to flow much better than the previous one!

It is possible that SW will make this better, but it won't be for people that heard this stuff when it first came out, when it was a NEW SOUND, and A NEW ATMOSPHERE, and A NEW EXPERIENCE in music, that no one had done before. This kind of experience is gone today, and today's audience is not as exposed to new things as we were 50 years ago, in order to be able to make a really good distinction between the two (read my review of THE WALL for a comparative review!).

One last slight detail ... these days I am on Social Security and barely make enough peanuts to live, and being able to even buy one CD a month ... I haven't bought any in over 6 months, just to give you an idea. The chances of me being able to get and listen to SW's version are minimal, and I doubt that a commercial success like him, is nice enough to offer a copy for my indulgence. So with that said ... SW, plz stick to your own work, which is very good.

Well let's wait and listen to the results first. You are only thinking of PT but Wilson proved his ear for electronic with Bass Communion and some of the No Man records

Though I also can't imagine TD's classic to be sonically improved (especially Phaedra and Rubycon sound perfecly muddy, dense and dark as they should).
So that's why I hope for bonus material...

And maybe in the future a remix of Froese's albums from the era which I also like a lot but which I think could be quite improved sonically.

And as too interpretations, I do much prefer Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky and Solti not conducting Bach, but what I prefer even more is that all these interpretations can co-exist and keep the music alive. So let's give Wilson a chance.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

All of this band's albums need to be released ... this soundtrack is not any better than the rest of their material, but the attitude and recording style is very raw and in my mind quite on par with its "nature" and "source" of the material within its original time and place. 

To hear this "redone" in a digital setting, would take away the reality that made this work so strong, and unusual for all of us, and make something that all of a sudden sounded so much like modern music, and yet, in the way it's done, it is 500 years old ... digitizing that is not necessary I do not think ... although cleaned up recordings to get rid of some of the pops in the LP's is always a GREAT thing.

I'm personally not familiar with this band, but I spotted that another one of their albums will be re-issued in March: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/third-ear-band-alchemy-2cd-remastered-expanded-edition/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:04

Renaissance's A Song For All Seasons will also be re-issued in March as a 3CD set: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/renaissance-a-song-for-all-seasons-3cd-remastered-expanded-clamshell-box-edition/

I love this album, but I am surprised that this comes now instead of following on chronologically after Prologue and Ashes Are Burning. I wonder if the other albums will also be re-issued...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 14:54
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Another one I'm hoping for is a new remaster of Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record. I was glad when No Earthly Connection was re-issued on CD recently, as it was not widely available on CD before.
I have a copy of No Earthly Connection and frankly find it rather boring.  Criminal Record however was a return to form for Rick for me...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>