Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heep, Wind and Ash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these bands do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [35.09%]
17 [29.82%]
15 [26.32%]
4 [7.02%]
1 [1.75%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 14:48
I love Hawkwind Heart  

Specifically their albums from the prog masterpiece mellotron-drenched '75 Warrior at the Edge of Time (Lemmy's final Hawkwind album) through the early 90's live albums like Palace Springs & California Brainstorm.  I really liked that when the musical changes of the 80's hit, they didn't abandon their best known 70's songs (Assault & Battery, Silver Machine, Assassins of Allah, Magnu, etc) they sped them way up and made them even more psychedelically insane.  Also love their side projects like Hawklords, Nik Turners Hawkwind Experience, Calvert's solo album Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters, etc...

If you've never explored Hawkwind, I'd recommend starting at Warrior.  If you don't like the opening track, I wouldn't bother going any further Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 04 2019 at 14:49
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 16:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Would Thin Lizzy fit a comparison with listed bands?

Well if I added Thin Lizzy I might be tempted to put in UFO(who's first two albums apparently were rather spacey). But then I might also have to add Montrose, Nazareth, April Wine and venture into more non prog hard rock. Stay tuned for my next poll. It won't be those bands but it might be as interesting. ;)

Bloody hell.UFO,Montrose,Nazareth and April Wine.Friggin love those guys.Yes I like a bit of Lizzy too.But of the 3 in the poll.Love them all.3 great bands for when I am in a special mood.Smile

Shake & bake.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 19:09
Wishbone Ash is my favorite band. Argus is obviously an all time classic album, but imo all of their first four are great. And I also love New England, Front Page News, Nouveau Calls, and Here to Hear. If I could say that any band, here in the States, is 'criminally underrated' without question it would be Wishbone Ash.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 19:27
Hawkwind is everything those other two bands are to me and a lot more.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 21:14
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, truth be told I contemplated adding Magma and or Eloy to the mix but didn't thinking those two would get more votes(and making it unfair)than these three. 

I really know very little from all this bands (including Magma and Eloy), except for a bit of Uriah Heep, but I do believe that if you had included Magma they would have easily won the poll.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 03:54
WA...by a long way.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 12:15
Uriah Heep by a hair over Hawkwind.   Listen to one of 'em at least once a month.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 16:27
"Wind"!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 05:09
Hawk
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 05:20
Heep
then WA
then Hawkwind
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2019 at 09:21
Uriah Heep by a mile!!!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 02:18
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hawkwind clearly from this list.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 02:24
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I love Hawkwind Heart  

Specifically their albums from the prog masterpiece mellotron-drenched '75 Warrior at the Edge of Time (Lemmy's final Hawkwind album) through the early 90's live albums like Palace Springs & California Brainstorm.  I really liked that when the musical changes of the 80's hit, they didn't abandon their best known 70's songs (Assault & Battery, Silver Machine, Assassins of Allah, Magnu, etc) they sped them way up and made them even more psychedelically insane.  Also love their side projects like Hawklords, Nik Turners Hawkwind Experience, Calvert's solo album Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters, etc...

If you've never explored Hawkwind, I'd recommend starting at Warrior.  If you don't like the opening track, I wouldn't bother going any further Wink

If you don't like the opening track, I wouldn't bother going any further

Sound advice.

I love Warrior. It would have benefited from less poetry, IMO, and Kings of Speed and Motorhead are weak tracks, but the albums high points are Hawkwind at their very best.

I love the Calvert albums that followed too. I don't think Dave Brock likes them much, especially Astounding Sounds, but I think it was an important era for the band, and that semi punk/new wave approach probably saved the band.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 02:36
Ash, Wind, Uriah - Earth, Wind & Fire.  
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 03:26
Uriah Heep to my ears were always a poor man's Deep Purple and I could never take their music too seriously, even though I kept buying their stuff up until Firefly and then I gave up completely.

Wishbone Ash had a couple of dud albums but on the whole their music is/was consistently cerebral and complex. They also had many great softer tracks but mainly they also could rock with the best of them and in a very idiosyncratic, melodic way.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 05:56
Love the Hawks A LOT, for 30 years now. Love Wishbone for the last 5 years. Been familiar with, and have some select Heep albums since late-80’s, but they’re hit and miss for me. More misses than hits, truth be known. I have been listening to WA a lot more than the Hawks during the last 5 years. Both are terrific. I should’ve discovered WA years before I did. Their debut is almost better than any Hawkwind though. Tough choice at this tenure.

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 10 2019 at 05:58
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 11:14
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I love Hawkwind Heart  

If you don't like the opening track, I wouldn't bother going any further

Sound advice.

I love Warrior. It would have benefited from less poetry, IMO, and Kings of Speed and Motorhead are weak tracks, but the albums high points are Hawkwind at their very best.

I love the Calvert albums that followed too. I don't think Dave Brock likes them much, especially Astounding Sounds, but I think it was an important era for the band, and that semi punk/new wave approach probably saved the band.

I'm fine with the Moorcock poetry, though agree Kings of Speed & Motorhead are weak - and don't really fit, but that's ok, a Hawkwind album is like a box of chocolates LOL  I totally agree the punk/new wave approach absolutely saved the band and kept them relevant post 1980...  
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 21:30
There was no option for Heep and Ash equally, so I leaned with Heep.

Their most recent album still has some of the original magic.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 14:21
I like them all but Hawkwind are a real fave since seeing them on the Space Ritual tour.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 18:40
Of these bands I only know the albums of the Seventies. All three have produced enjoyable albums but UH seem to me a lot more elementary. 

The competition, then, for me is between Hawkwind and Wishbone Ash. 

Who win? Hawkwind, more than anything else for the albums "Doremi Fasol Latido" and "Space Ritual"... but "Argus" is closed.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>