Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan R. Pearlman of ARP Synthesizers Dies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 08:09
Pretty sad news. I've used ARP's before (not a 2600,I hasten to add - played Odysseys before in the early 80's -  the 2600 and 2500 were a pretty interesting design. (The Odysseys were as well, as well as the ARP Axxe). 

I didn't realise how interesting they were until I started getting into how analogue synths work, but a lot of the designs employed some very unusual ideas. Rumour has it that Behringer will be bringing out a 2600 clone some time, hopefully with the 1601 sequencer, which as a personal favourite. A lot of older synths are (highly) overrated, by the 2600 is a classic. Not worth the ludicrous prices second hand ones go for now, but then again, that's very true of a lot of "vintage" gear. 

As a PS, comparing a 2600 with a lot of Moog gear makes no sense. You have a modular on one hand and a normalised synth on the other (with some limited patching abilities). Different animals. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 13 2019 at 08:13

davedvd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davedvd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:53

Patrizio Fariselli (Area). I'm pretty sure that's the only synth he played back in the days, along his Rhodes electric piano.

Demetrio Stratos would play Hammond Organ parts.

Edited by davedvd - January 29 2019 at 05:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123