Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [33.33%]
6 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Sounds vs Songs in the Key of Life
    Posted: January 11 2019 at 11:58
Two of the greats in the american album history. Releases that sent waves of awe and fear agross the music landscape. Albums of force and historical merrits.

This is similar poll to the "the Who Quadrophenia vs Queen Queen II" poll.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 13:52
I'm not sure which album I like more -- been a while since I heard either of them. This is a less than adequate post, but I'm probably going to post anyway.

This might seem sacrilegious to some, and I feel bad even saying it, but neither album particularly impressed me. That doesn't mean that I don't like the albums, recognise their significance, or think that they are not good, but I was left feeling quite underwhelmed.   

Speaking of 1966's Pet Sounds, the Byrd's Fifth Dimension, The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators, Malachi's Holy Music, Davis' Miles Smiles, Zappa's Freak Out, Donovan's Sunshine Superman, Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence, Cream's Fresh Cream, The Incredible String Band, Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, and all of Ennio Morricone's output at the time just resonated more with me, and seemed less syrupy to me.

Perhaps I'll revisit both albums and get a new impression. So much depends on what I'm into at any given time. Sorry for not listening again before posting to maybe be able to come up with a somewhat insightful post (even if it's just somewhat insightful about me and not the music).

Edited by Logan - January 11 2019 at 13:54
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 13:59
Thats okay, im in a Stevie Wonder phace now and listens to the classic period from 71 until this album. Stevie is an artist in a style and genre of his own, an unique artis.

Edited by Icarium - January 11 2019 at 13:59
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 14:08
I like plenty of Stevie Wonder music and I should revisit it (I did like it, but just had somewhat the wrong expectations when I listened to it). I love "Contusion":

And as for Pet Sounds, I like it for sure.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 15:28
'Song's in the Key of Life'.  I always thought 'Pet Sounds' was a little over rated.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 14:31
Pet Sounds is possibly my favourite album of all (along with Revolver), so it's an easy choice. Songs like "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)", "God Only Knows" and "Caroline No" are among the most beautiful things ever written. Astonishing melodies, and a great production level too.

I really like Stevie Wonder's 70's output, but my favourite albums are Talking Book and Innervisions. There is plenty of great material on Songs in the Key of Life as well, but tracks like "Isn't She Lovely","Ngiculela – Es Una Historia – I Am Singing" and "Ebony Eyes" (on the bonus EP) takes it down a lot for me. Best part of the album is probably side 2 (from "I Wish" to "Ordinary Pain").
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:13
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Pet Sounds is possibly my favourite album of all (along with Revolver), so it's an easy choice. Songs like "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)", "God Only Knows" and "Caroline No" are among the most beautiful things ever written. Astonishing melodies, and a great production level too.

I really like Stevie Wonder's 70's output, but my favourite albums are Talking Book and Innervisions. There is plenty of great material on Songs in the Key of Life as well, but tracks like "Isn't She Lovely","Ngiculela – Es Una Historia – I Am Singing" and "Ebony Eyes" (on the bonus EP) takes it down a lot for me. Best part of the album is probably side 2 (from "I Wish" to "Ordinary Pain").
I assume you're not able to vote then?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:27
pfff..  Stevie's album was great.. so were a thousand other ones.

Pet Sounds however occupies the next rung occupied by the raried few that are mandatory listening experiences for any music fan.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:34
None of these are anywhere near my top 1000 but Songs in the Key... is pretty great - most of it. Pet Sounds... I just don't like it very much, not the songs, not even the voices-or vocal harmonies but find them a little weary and tiresome... I'd rather listen to The Zombies or The Hollies harmonising. The Beatles too...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 08:23
Songs in the key of Life (4 Stars)
Pet Sounds (3.5 Stars)

Stevie wins.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

No. It says "You can not vote in this poll".
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:47

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I think you need more points before you can vote, not sure how many but someone will no doubt enlighten us.
No. It says "You can not vote in this poll".
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:48
^^ Anders, you need 40 points before you can vote in the polls -- that was implemented due to abuse. You get this by posting, and also with "thanks" which gives 5 points per thanks. I'll give you a thanks for each post in this thread which should give you ten points and bring you up from 19 to 29. That said, I personally much prefer to read posts such as yours in this thread than look at poll results, and I wonder sometimes if "voting" can lead to laziness when it comes to posting and actually having many vibrant discussions in the forums. It takes more effort, and some courage, to express ourselves in words than just to vote.

Edited by Logan - January 14 2019 at 09:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 10:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ Anders, you need 40 points before you can vote in the polls -- that was implemented due to abuse. You get this by posting, and also with "thanks" which gives 5 points per thanks. I'll give you a thanks for each post in this thread which should give you ten points and bring you up from 19 to 29. That said, I personally much prefer to read posts such as yours in this thread than look at poll results, and I wonder sometimes if "voting" can lead to laziness when it comes to posting and actually having many vibrant discussions in the forums. It takes more effort, and some courage, to express ourselves in words than just to vote.

No doubt about that. I'm also in it mostly for the discussions.

Thank you for clarifying the point system.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 10:20
No problem, and I see you now have 40 points which means that you've passed the initiation and should now be able to vote. Sometimes posting at a new forum can feel like trial by fire in my experience.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 10:28
Well it still says I cannot vote, but perhaps I just have to wait for some time?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 10:29
Now it worked.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 12:29
Songs is a double....more songs to consider.....but even so Pet Sounds made more of an impact on me when young...I was just staring high school and it was quite an album...,by the time Songs came out I was already married and working full time...and really into prog heavy by then so I think I kind of ignored it.
I still would rather listen to Sounds.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply