21 [32.31%]
34 [52.31%]
4 [6.15%]
6 [9.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 08:38
90125 without question, one of my favourite attempts at making quality music which can be also commercial. It sounds a bit dated now but the songs are still great.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 08:44
Hackett, don't like Genesis very much, Yes and Asia are quite good, but Hackett's HS I listen quite often.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:23
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Hackett, don't like Genesis very much, Yes and Asia are quite good, but Hackett's HS I listen quite often.

listen to it too---some good jazzy stuff on there---but his voice---if he had a good singer on all his solo albums especially Cured and Highly Strung they would have been strong albums
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 11:59
By the slimmest of margins I'll go with Yes on this one, but Hackett is so close I had to really think about it.
Both ASIA and Genesis take distant seconds.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 13:28
Definitely Yes 90125 for me.  The best thing on Genesis was the 2 part "Home By the Sea", but I thought everything was great on 90125.  Asia "Alpha" wasn't as bad to me as what others made it out to be, but it doesn't come close to 90125, but I didn't like any other Asia albums after that.  Hackett's "Highly Strung" was good but spotty. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 15:18
This poll's harder than it looks. Both Yes and Genesis albums that year have songs I adore, and then a bunch of songs that are listenable, i.e. okay but I can go with or without.

I'll give the edge to 90125 for Squire's "happening" basslines.

Alpha's got some good tunes, but also some half-baked ones. "After The War" — from the next album Astra — is better than anything on Alpha.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 16:01
90125 gets my vote.

"Drama" was the best post classic era Yes album, but 90125 is an enjoyable listen
Songs cast a light on you
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 17:07
To me 90125 is a miraculous album, topping a huge pile of albums, including Genesis's Genesis though I remember having played the second on and on –  while reading / solving Lord of the Rings' Steve Jackson's  fighting fantasy (in french) not to be confused with the other Steve Jackson who also wrote f. fantasies. I enjoy G'sG more than most Yes + Genesis prog albums + way more than SH and Asia
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 22:09
Gee, 1983 was a poor year. What happened to Prog that year? Did it die?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 02:35
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Marillion and IQ did great music that year (wink, wink!) LOL

Edited by Cristi - January 13 2019 at 02:35
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:57
Genesis by a long way.  That Yes album was awful. I can't stand Asia. And I haven't heard that Hackett album.  
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 11:00

It died in 77.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 11:04
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

It died in 77.

no, it did not Big smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 11:47
Four albums I haven't listened to or got on CD and not in any particular hurry to get.  Also never got Alpha or any other Nausia album for that matter.  "It was the heat of the vomit."  OK I know that was on the debut album but couldn't resist the joke. Tongue  Gonna give it up for Steve Hackett's.  Although at the time I was kind of on board with Yes and Genesis trying to go more commercial.  For me they just never held up.  As to the rest of 1983 there were a lot more interesting offerings out there I got on CD after having got the LP or got originally on CD only.  To wit - Talking Heads Speaking In Tongues, Marillion Script For A Jester's Tear, The Police Synchronicity, Anderson, Laurie United States Live, Oregon Oregon, Tears for Fears Hurting,
Coryell, Larry/Igor Stravinsky Le Sacre Du Printemps, Oldfield, Mike Crisis, Ponty, Jean-Luc Individual Choice, Isham, Mark Vapor Drawings, De Grassi, Alex Southern Exposure, Eno, Brian Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks, Hine, Rupert Wildest Wish To Fly, Corea, Chick Children's Songs,  Frith, Fred Cheap At Half the Price, Belew, Adrian Twang Bar King, Brunninghaus, Rainer Continuum, Cocteau Twins Head Over Heels, Moraz - Bruford Music For Piano and Drums, Shadowfax Shadowdance, Anderson, Laurie Mister Heartbreak, King Crimson Three of a Perfect Pair, Yamashta, Stomu Sea & Sky, Zappa, Frank Thing-Fish, Tibbetts, Steve Safe Journey, Jobson, Eddie/Zinc The Green Album, The, Jackson, Joe Mike's Murder, Sky Cadmium, Di Meola, Al Scenario, Holdsworth, Allan Road Games, Vangelis Antarctica - The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

I feel another poll coming on. Big smile  Out of these four I'm going to give it up to Hackett.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 13 2019 at 11:49
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 04:29
90125 gets the vote. It's a brilliant album. It's always made me feel good. It still sounds fresh to me after all these years.

Genesis is a good album, although it has some weak points, and an unforgivable low (Illegal Alien) .

Highly strung is ok, but never really moved me.

Alpha is a nice collection of classy pop/rock songs with a great album cover.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 04:34
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

90125 gets the vote. It's a brilliant album. It's always made me feel good. It still sounds fresh to me after all these years.

Clap

nice to see this album getting some love, I was starting to think there was something wrong with me enjoying this album so much. LOL
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 05:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Clap

nice to see this album getting some love, I was starting to think there was something wrong with me enjoying this album so much. LOL

I'm just glad some others seem to appreciate it.. I like every song, and I love the production job. I would go so far as saying it's in my top 5 Yes albums.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 06:15
90125 is the only one in this group of options I find even remotely listenable.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:26
Not the easiest poll to answer . . .
Went with Genesis with my mood for today.
Although now I have to go and listen to Highly Strung again (I dig Mr. Hackett's work!).
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:58
90125 was kind of my gateway drug to prog so it gets my vote. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>