Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Parsons Project vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [39.02%]
46 [56.10%]
2 [2.44%]
2 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 11:04
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Critical acclaim, commercial success, and the respect of musicians have nothing to do with it.

those have everything to do with it. 

case in point...  care to name the bands which you believe met those same conditions.  Whose work resonated with music critics, and was able to appeal to listeners of all stripes those actually sell boatloads of albums, yet attain of a validity born of a near universal respect of the musician world.  

the reason why it means so much.. is you might find it very hard to come up with list of any length.  Many bands, we are talking big bands, can hit a couple, very VERY few can stake claim to all 3. 
Nope. Success is not directly correlated to skill or quality. Plus even if it were, making it the basis of appreciation as individual listeners, as you are doing here, would make it an unreliable measure anyway, and that would be a circular argument, as well.
If success was directly correlated to skill and quality SD would have been far bigger than they were.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 11:14
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

With the notable exception of Do It Again, the music of Steely Dan hasn't resonated with me. By contrast, the music of The Alan Parsons Project does resonate with me, so they easily get my vote.

yeah that would be it for me as well...but Do it Again was so overplayed I don't really need to hear it ever ever again
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 12:27
I don't understand the comparison at all. But I've never liked anything even remotely close to fusion or jazz so easily APP for me.  
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 14:23
Im a big fan of Bernard Purdie and Chuck Rainey so i might vote SD for that
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 15:43
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I don't understand the comparison at all. But I've never liked anything even remotely close to fusion or jazz so easily APP for me.  

Really? Can you count to two? Wink
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 17:32

What it takes a lot of is luck and knowledge of the music biz and the sensibilities of various groups of people, and more things which are independent of the things that should inform one's appreciation of an artist. In other words, their success makes them special as far as models of how to navigate the music industry, but it doesn't make them special as artists, which is what I assumed we were trying to evaluate here.

Respect of other musicians is not about luck. I mean, do you consider Holdsworth a particularly lucky musician? You can get the first two - commercial success and critical acclaim - with luck and connections but the respect of your peers has to be earned.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 18:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Strange, SD and I just don’t click. I’ve tried, and tried, but it all sounds like ‘bland city’ to me.
So, APP for sure.

Thumbs Up

Exactly what I feel.

When SD was added, I listened repeatedly their first five albums, and simply bore me.

If it was only for Tales, I Robot and Pyramids, APP would still be ahead by a country mile for me...Andrew Powell made anything sound great, even their later albums that were inferior.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 19 2019 at 18:55

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 19:55
I did like one song from when Donald Fagen went solo, but other than that, meh.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 20:35

Meh...Perfect word.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 20:52
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Meh...Perfect word.
Silly word, but sums it up nicely.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 04:58
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

That said, I would not put SD in the same bracket as him or the Beatles. The truth is they were still toiling for that elusive hit when they set out to record Aja. And then, Peg became a hit and the single FM too. So it was a late surge rather than a long streak of bill board smashing stuff that also won the approval of critics AND had fellow musicians intrigued. That category is so rare the folks who fit into it pretty much popularised a new way of looking at popular music. A paradigm shift, in other words.

I don't think that's correct. They had hit songs before Aja. Rikki Don't Lose That Number, just to name one example, was huge. 

Edited by Jeffro - January 21 2019 at 06:43
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 06:27
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

That said, I would not put SD in the same bracket as him or the Beatles. The truth is they were still toiling for that elusive hit when they set out to record Aja. And then, Peg became a hit and the single FM too. So it was a late surge rather than a long streak of bill board smashing stuff that also won the approval of critics AND had fellow musicians intrigued. That category is so rare the folks who fit into it pretty much popularised a new way of looking at popular music. A paradigm shift, in other words.

I don't think that's correct. They had hit songs before Aja. Rikki Don't Lode That Number, just to name one example, was huge. 

I will look up the chart positions etc later but my statement was based off the band's own assessment mentioned in the informative and funny notes to the Royal Scam album. They expressed a gnawing feeling that they hadn't achieved the success they had been looking for. It would come with Aja. Maybe fans felt their earlier albums were plenty successful but the band themselves didn't think so.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 06:44

I don't think that's correct. They had hit songs before Aja. Rikki Don't Lose That Number, just to name one example, was huge. 

I will look up the chart positions etc later but my statement was based off the band's own assessment mentioned in the informative and funny notes to the Royal Scam album. They expressed a gnawing feeling that they hadn't achieved the success they had been looking for. It would come with Aja. Maybe fans felt their earlier albums were plenty successful but the band themselves didn't think so.

That could be. Maybe the couple of hits they had up to that point weren't enough for them. Aja certainly changed that. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 07:24

they had two major hits right from the start with their debut album (Do It Again & Reelin In The Years) well before Rikki (which dates from 74 and Pretzel) 

But yeah, with Aja, it seems like the whole album was top 40 hits on the FM & AM airwaves back then.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 07:34
19-32! Worrying times. I better go round up the Internet Steely Dan fanboy mob, the Dan have to dominate this.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 12:36
^ LOL.......
I always thought of APP as prog lite ...(similar to Supertramp.) Not dissing those bands but they never grabbed me in any way,  but the Dan had this sassy, clever, and cryptic thing going on lyrically and the music was simply great sophisticated rock with plenty of jazz fusion thrown in. But I can understand how a 'classic prog head' might not 'get them'.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Occulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 15:49
Steely Dan have written the most thought provoking inspired music of any 70's to new millennium band over their entire career.
There is more musicality & lyrical wit in one of their songs than in a whole APP album.
Their music bears multiple repeats listenings and always rewards.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 16:14
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

There's actually a whole book about the making of Aja, and if you like the band and the album as much as I do it makes for fascinating reading. Their obsessive tendencies really got free reign on that one, but I think the results speak for themselves

I'll have to check it out, thank you.  I had an office at the Village Recorder right after Dick LaPalm's reign.  It's a very cool building, as well as it's place in music history.  SD had sort of unofficial offices there, whenever they were in town.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 04:04
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

There's actually a whole book about the making of Aja, and if you like the band and the album as much as I do it makes for fascinating reading. Their obsessive tendencies really got free reign on that one, but I think the results speak for themselves

I'll have to check it out, thank you.  I had an office at the Village Recorder right after Dick LaPalm's reign.  It's a very cool building, as well as it's place in music history.  SD had sort of unofficial offices there, whenever they were in town.

This is also very good. There are many copies on ebay. Well worth the approx $10 you will pay for it. 

Edited by Jeffro - January 22 2019 at 04:05
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 04:56
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

Steely Dan have written the most thought provoking inspired music of any 70's to new millennium band over their entire career.
There is more musicality & lyrical wit in one of their songs than in a whole APP album.
Their music bears multiple repeats listenings and always rewards.

that's (in bold) the only thing I'll give you in that statement

Cos, sorry, but if you're not part of an initiated crowd, SD' lyrics are hard to decipher (Rollie's & Micky's respective  reviews are a lot of help, though), especially when compared to Floyd, Tull or SEBTP texts.

And I could easily spend the rest of my life never hearing a SD song again (or APP, FTM)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>