Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Parsons Project vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [39.02%]
46 [56.10%]
2 [2.44%]
2 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 09:45
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

This imho was an easy one to choose from. Alan Parsons Project by far.

Same here! Have Steely Dan ever recorded a song as good as this? No, Don't Answer Me. Tongue

Steely Dan is the best of both (or several) worlds. You get spectacular jazz fusion with great grooves performed by top notch players, great songs and storytelling... everything you can ask for. Don't Answer Me is very nice and pleasant but also a dime a dozen adult contemporary-pap*. Really nowhere near the artistic level of Steely Dan's exceptional run of classics 1972-1980.

*Alan Parsons Project has stronger material though.
Well, if it comes down to a choice between adult contemporary pap or jazz fusion, then give me adult contemporary pap every time, just so long as it's not Celine Dion. Tongue
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 09:50
Only APP album I ever cared for (and own on vinyl) is Tales of Mystery & Imagination.  Nothing else in their catalog is particularly demanding to these ears.   Steely Dan have no less than 4 perfect albums to their credit.   
I voted for Steely Dan by leaps & bounds.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 10:15

Same here! Have Steely Dan ever recorded a song as good as this? No, Don't Answer Me. Tongue

Steely Dan is the best of both (or several) worlds. You get spectacular jazz fusion with great grooves performed by top notch players, great songs and storytelling... everything you can ask for. Don't Answer Me is very nice and pleasant but also a dime a dozen adult contemporary-pap*. Really nowhere near the artistic level of Steely Dan's exceptional run of classics 1972-1980.

Well, if it comes down to a choice between adult contemporary pap or jazz fusion, then give me adult contemporary pap every time, just so long as it's not Celine Dion. Tongue
No one ever has to choose to listen to one kind of approach to music over another. But who knows maybe someday, with a little patience, you will too discover all the greatness within a kind of musical expression/language you've for some reason dedicated 10 pages and endless postings to here at PA.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 10:16
Originally posted by Disconnect Disconnect wrote:

Only APP album I ever cared for (and own on vinyl) is Tales of Mystery & Imagination.  Nothing else in their catalog is particularly demanding to these ears.   Steely Dan have no less than 4 perfect albums to their credit.   
I voted for Steely Dan by leaps & bounds.
Thumbs Up

Which 4 albums for The Dan...just curious.?  
Just based on PA ratings over the years....from prog fans one assumes.
Steely Dan has 2 four star and 7 three star lps and   AP Project has 1 four star and 5 three star and some 2 stars as well.
But then I'm biased.......Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 10:20
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Have we run out poll options that a four year old thread needs to be revisited?

Who can say what is relevant about old threads?.......................but kudos for living up to your name.

Big smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 11:12
Alan Parsons 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 11:23

No one ever has to choose to listen to one kind of approach to music over another. But who knows maybe someday, with a little patience, you will too discover all the greatness within a kind of musical expression/language you've for some reason dedicated 10 pages and endless postings to here at PA.
"10 pages and endless postings" you say......  I've barely started! I still have another 4,000+ Jazzamatazz albums left to listen to, so I'm just getting warmed up. I may even get around to listening to all of Steely Dan's albums one day. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 17 2023 at 11:45
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 11:47
Strange question. This is like comparing an amateur painter to Rembrandt. Of course anyone with any musical insight will know which is which. :-)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 14:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Have we run out poll options that a four year old thread needs to be revisited?

Who can say what is relevant about old threads?.......................but kudos for living up to your name.

Big smile

Kudos for living up to your name also.
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2023 at 06:38
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Which 4 albums for The Dan...just curious.?  
Just based on PA ratings over the years....from prog fans one assumes.
Steely Dan has 2 four star and 7 three star lps and   AP Project has 1 four star and 5 three star and some 2 stars as well.
But then I'm biased.......Wink

These are the four SD albums which contain no 'piss tracks', as I like to call them:

Aja
Pretzel Logic 
Countdown To Ecstasy  (personal favorite)
Can't Buy A Thrill

Outside their first effort (which is quite excellent), APP has released nothing that compares with SD's catalog, IMHO.     

As always with these polls which feature an American band vs. a European band, voting tendencies fall along the typical prog fan lines based upon geography.   The Philistine prog fans here in the US love our SD, while our more sophisticated Euro counterparts will pick APP.   Wink

Edited by Disconnect - January 18 2023 at 06:39
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2023 at 12:20
Alan Parsons without a question
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2023 at 12:25
Originally posted by Disconnect Disconnect wrote:

As always with these polls which feature an American band vs. a European band, voting tendencies fall along the typical prog fan lines based upon geography.   The Philistine prog fans here in the US love our SD, while our more sophisticated Euro counterparts will pick APP.   Wink
I don't think so, and SD are more sophisticated than APP anyway (although I quite like the latter band as well).
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 23:43
In my opinion, nothing in APP's catalog comes close to matching Steely Dan's Aja or Royal Scam. That is peak Steely Dan. And those two albums are why I voted for Steely Dan. However, APP's Tales, I Robot and a Turn of a Friendly Card are quite good. Probably listened to those three albums as much as anything else in Steely Dan's discography outside of the already noted Royal Scam and Aja.

Edited by Big Sky - February 01 2023 at 23:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456