Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dave Greenslade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dave Greenslade
    Posted: February 01 2019 at 07:00
As a Star Wars fan I probably should have known this but apparently Dave Greenslade scored the music for the band in the cantina scene in A New Hope.

Now everyone's going to tell me they knew this already. Wink

Edited by chopper - February 01 2019 at 07:31
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 07:10
I wasn’t aware of this fact, but I’ll stick with Cactus Choir and Bedside Manners.....
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 11:30

No, I didn't know this! Interesting!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 11:32
I also stick with the first 4 Greenslade albums.....I thought that music in the cantana scene was a bit silly.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 13:17
Hmmm, not so sure about that.   Dave Lawson was a player during the recording, but I find no evidence Dave Greenslade composed the cut.   John Williams hired several musicians to help with the jazzy theme and Greenslade may've been part of that group, but nowhere have I found anything indicating DG wrote the piece.

"In Star Wars, Lawson can be heard playing the ARP 2600 to conjure the sounds of an electric tuba in the famous Tatooine cantina scene.[4]"

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 20:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Hmmm, not so sure about that.   Dave Lawson was a player during the recording, but I find no evidence Dave Greenslade composed the cut.   John Williams hired several musicians to help with the jazzy theme and Greenslade may've been part of that group, but nowhere have I found anything indicating DG wrote the piece.

"In Star Wars, Lawson can be heard playing the ARP 2600 to conjure the sounds of an electric tuba in the famous Tatooine cantina scene.[4]"
Doh, you're right, I misread the article in Prog magazine, they were talking about Lawson, not Greenslade. Embarrassed
I wasn't aware of that either, must have missed this little fact.

Edited by chopper - February 01 2019 at 20:49
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 00:15
Lawson is still awesome !! Great player.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 02:02

Ah, so it was fake news Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 02:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I also stick with the first 4 Greenslade albums.....I thought that music in the cantana scene was a bit silly.

Of course it is silly, it is a comic scene. Even if it had been true that he wrote it, it would not be appropriate to compare it to the albums of Greenslade the band - apples and organges.

Post Reply Post Reply