Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Avant-Garde music that was really something else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avant-Garde music that was really something else

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avant-Garde music that was really something else
    Posted: February 05 2019 at 18:32
Like the title says, say here which albums/music really impressed you on how different, bizzare it was, even if you are searching for Avant-Garde music, there's some albums that really take a further step.
From me, i can say that Holger Czukay & Rolf Dammers - Canaxis 5 was one of those albums, the first time i've listened to it, that intro stained my mind and the vietnamese singers scared my soul ,but after some brute-force, it flowered in me excellently, a really good album.
Another one would be, Koenjihyakkei - Ni, the goddman brutality and velocity of that album leaved a mark on my mind too, so fast, so much things happening at the same time, it was love at first sight(or listen).
Now tell us some of yours experiences like that.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 18:48
Here's a few. Not necessarily progressive rock but avant-garde for sure.

Just a small sampling.....

Someone made a list of albums on Rate Your Music. Some really out there ones on here....

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 19:20
brilliant siLLy puPPy, just heard them all, the last three was really view-changing, not so much the Vegetable Orchestra because the twist is in the 'instruments' and is a cover from Kraftwerk, but really good anyways, and the Harry Partch one really caught me, i think i'm gonna get addicted to it lol, thanks a lot
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 19:47
Are you asking for weird af music we like or the weirdest music we know of?

Edited by Polymorphia - February 05 2019 at 19:48
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 21:29
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

brilliant siLLy puPPy, just heard them all, the last three was really view-changing, not so much the Vegetable Orchestra because the twist is in the 'instruments' and is a cover from Kraftwerk, but really good anyways, and the Harry Partch one really caught me, i think i'm gonna get addicted to it lol, thanks a lot

I highly recommend this boxed set of experimental instruments. It is mind blowing. Unfortunately only a track or two to be heard on the internet but not too expensive since it's not well known. It has VERY avant-garde and then just new takes on some mor popular sounds. 

See my review on RYM...

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 21:42
I haven't listened to the whole thing but just came across this by accident a little while ago. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 05 2019 at 21:44
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 04:14
Great thread! Many people find Art Zoyd generally challenging, however there's one album that comes to mind particularly for this one, which is Champ des Larmes, probably the most distanced icy thing they did.

There's also Pure Noise (it's exactly what it says on the tin), but I don't see much emotional quality in that one, whereas Champ de Larmes clearly expresses something (whether or not one can relate to it).

Edited by Lewian - February 06 2019 at 04:17
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 04:22
Die Heilung
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 08:57
I would have to say that Comus' "First Utterance" was the album that got me into RIO/Avant Garde a long time ago.  Even though many people don't consider that avant garde per se, I think it has a lot of those elements with the amount of originality for the time and the dissonance on the album.  The fact that a mostly acoustic album could sound so unique and odd is a wonderful thing.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 09:07
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Are you asking for weird af music we like or the weirdest music we know of?
Music that have blown your mind, even it's inside a genre where's that was to be expected

Edited by andreol263 - February 06 2019 at 09:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 09:12
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Great thread! Many people find Art Zoyd generally challenging, however there's one album that comes to mind particularly for this one, which is Champ des Larmes, probably the most distanced icy thing they did. 

There's also Pure Noise (it's exactly what it says on the tin), but I don't see much emotional quality in that one, whereas Champ de Larmes clearly expresses something (whether or not one can relate to it).
My god, that's is awesome!!, and terryfing too, and i was thinking that Haxan was the most out-of-box thing they did, and i have to say that's love at first sight too, i LOVEEE this kind of dark ambient musicClap

Edited by andreol263 - February 06 2019 at 09:14
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:38
Dinosaurs With Horns are very weird, and I like them - unfortunately not that well represented on youtube.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:39
^ you could easily get lost in the avant-prog category. Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, Present. Same with certain strains of Krautrock. Annexus Quam, Faust, Cluster, early Tangerine Dream, Guru Guru, A R & Machines. It really depends how far out there you want to fly!

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:45
And now for something more melodic... it was love at first listen with Meredith Monk's Dolmen Music.

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:17

"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 17:17
Yuri Morozov - Human Extinction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcgGc3cb-k&t=1069s
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 10:31
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Here's a few. Not necessarily progressive rock but avant-garde for sure.

This is really close to the work that was being done in experimental theater on VOICE. THE LIVING THEATER and then THE OPEN THEATER, were both well known for experimenting with vocal stuff and this was a perfect example of it.

I often think that Damo was very well aware of these and might even have seen them, since they were pretty well known in Europe, whereas in America, it was just one of those things ... not a musical in NY, won't sell, and no star in LA it won't sell. But they did tour a lot of the university places around the country. The "late" DRAMA REVIEW (later TOLEDO REVIEW I think), was a monthly periodical on theater for many years and they just loved this kind of experimental stuff ... and at UCSB where I majored in Directing Theater, they did not like these experimental things! I thought they were great, and still do, and even things like FAUST fit into that area in their early days ... later (for me) they were not as interesting!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 11:09
As a piece, Karlheinz Stockhausen's "Helicopter String Quartet" might be of some interest.

Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

The Helikopter-Streichquartett (English: Helicopter String Quartet) is one of Karlheinz Stockhausen's best-known pieces, and one of the most complex to perform. It involves a string quartet, four helicopters with pilots, as well as audio and video equipment and technicians. It was first performed and recorded in 1995. Although performable as a self-sufficient piece, it also forms the third scene of the opera Mittwoch aus Licht ("Wednesday from Light").

Edited by Logan - March 06 2019 at 11:14
Just a fanboy passin' through.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 19:29

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 20:03
Speaking of Stockhausen, this lengthy work really connected with me for reasons I still can’t explain (other than it heing “weird”, but the connection is deeper than that)

Edited by HolyMoly - March 06 2019 at 20:03
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply