Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They sound very like Tangerine Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 17:04
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I do have SILLY in my name for a reason LOL

TongueTongueTongue
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 17:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Radio Massacre International maybe?

Yes, someone mentioned them on page 1, so now with two suggestions I must listen to them. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 17:42
How could i forget. Check out PA's own Samuel Cadima. The second album is particularly nice :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 18:12
S. Ramses : Secret (1978)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0UOKOdDvE&t=619s

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 22:22
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Radio Massacre International maybe?

Yes, someone mentioned them on page 1, so now with two suggestions I must listen to them. 

I saw them live once. Very good performance. They did an album that was a tribute to Syd Barret called "rain falls in grey."
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 03:20
How about Aphex-Twin...selected ambient works..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 04:14
Richard is not welcome here, but anytime at home.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 07:41

Artists like Klaus Schulze, Ashra, Peter Bauman, Cluster, Popol Vuh, Steve Roach, Pete Namlook, Harmonia, Brian Eno, Neu!, Manuel Göttsching, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, Edgar Froese, Michael Hoenig, Redshift, Harold Grosskopf, Radio Massacre Internatinal, Wolfgang Riechmann, Node, You, Neuronium, Zanov, Cultural Noise and tons of others all fit the bill. 

I would prefer to suggest that no one, sounds like TD, and no one has really transformed and learned the synthesizer from DAY 1 to the day that Edgar Froese died, like they did. 

Many of the folks mentioned did not have the "symphonic" sound (as I call it) that TD had, which they developed further yet, in the 90's by adding Linda Spa and Iris Camaa and later Yoshiko. In the last 5 of 6 years, the performances on DVD show how clearly well rehearsed and develop their music is, and the layers of it, only rivals someone like Klaus Schulze that has so many layers going at one time, that it can drive you silly trying to work them out.

Some folks, like AshRa Tempel (later Ashra), Cluster, Popol Vuh, Namlook, Gottsching (he is.was Ashra Tempel and Ashra), Grosskopf, neuronium and others, were in the early days, quite experimental, and it was something like TD's ATEM, and then PHAEDRA, that immediately showed a melodic/classical style of using the synthesizer, and very few folks have really worked on properly and with dedicated reason. I would suggest Larry Fast did really well, and a few others ... however, comparing all of these is a very difficult and time consuming exercise, that kinda starts and ends with them using the same equipment, however, only two folks, really went out of their way and everyone else's to do something with it that no one else did ... and they were TD and Klaus Schulze.

I, personally, do not like to exclude something like the Cosmic Couriers, because they took this style and expanded it to rock music, although so much of it is mentioned today as some kind of drug trip that the folks that put it together did not realize was going to be released ... something that I find a bit weird, but there were, in there, some wonderful things that stand out, even then complete different from what KS and TD went on to do, but in those days, of early Ashratempel, LS was a part of them, and later the first several albums without KS were also magnificent (specially New Age of Earth), which kinda gave away the cleverness and the use of the synthesizer, that had its mechanics so well "disguised" (not really, just well designed unlike Dave's suggestions!), whereas the use of the instrument is much "simpler", and yet it comes off very well and setup beautifully, specially on that album! 

The majority of those folks, remained an experiment that never went away, and many of them, specially Brian Eno, were outstanding, and came up with completely different things, that were not exactly synthesizer defined or designed, specially in loops and their integration, something that KS went on to develop to an insane level ... catch the DVD that has an interview with his and some engineers, working on a segment in one piece, that you and I would not even notice! It will show you the layers and how well developed they are, and how much more some of these can be fooled around with.

JMJ fits a different mold for the synthesizer. I consider him a "classical" musician, except that his orchestra is a bunch of synthesizers and he has developed some wonderful pieces of music that stand out and sound magnificent, but unlilke TD and KS, he is not an originator of the instrument, although he is one that helped show how well you could use the instrument to create various layers of "classical music" on your own piece of music. 

I like to suggest that the really early ones, the experimental ones, are more than anything turning a "knob" slowly. Remember that in those days, that sound was so new and experimental and the idea was to feel that sound and how it affected you, which of course led to a series/sequence of sounds, that we call ... MUSIC. Today, no one, not even Dave, is capable of doing that and making it last and an important part of his music, which like many of his contemporaries today, is defined and designed around a beat, and not necessarily the sound itself.

And that "sound" feel and study, is the difference. If you are into the sound and feel of it, you will be looking for a lot longer, because many of these suggestions won't quite fit, what you might be looking for. If you are looking for a sound that is somewhat classical in its compositional style and sense, then the number improves, and TD is probably the best there is in that department. I think Larry Fast fits also, but the rest I am not so sure they fit, although I admit not listening to them as organically and energetically as I do these more important ones. For example I do not  dislike Pete Namlook but his work is not nearly as valuable or important to my feelings as some think. Maybe his style just did not click with me, but it feels "industrial" and "controlled", as opposed to the originals, that you hardly could tell where the sound was going, even if this knob only went this way (and some folks like Dave know it!), and it took 3 minutes and its sound in between was fiddled with even more! Namlook, for me, was too mechanical, and TD, even though they were the SEQUENCER kings, and probably the ones that developed it the most and best, was never that mechanical, specially sound wise ... the music continued to develop, even if a theme returned.

Not sure I can explain my feelings on all this any better ... my apologies if the wording seems somewhat confusing, but this is the best I can come up with.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 08:00
^ Yep, i stated above the saem thing. No one sounds like TD but our friend is a music addict ( like me ) so the hunt continues Wink

They have much in common. You need to specify which era of TD you are interested in. If nothing I suggested appeals to you then you are seeking a lost cause because NOBODY sounds exactly like TD

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Muting07 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muting07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 09:34

Maybe check out Gert Emmens or Gert Emmens & Ruud Heij

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 10:55

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Well, I have an extensive collection of electronic music. Which "era" of TD do you prefer? Do you have a favorite line-up?

From Phaedra onwards really, but not everything. Phaedra, Tyger,Rubicon, Quantum Gate/Key ,Stratosfear, Hyperborea, The Angel of the West Window are all favourites. 

I avoid the very upbeat albums with rocky,funky,fusiony beats. I much prefer the "new age" end of TD. To give you an idea of some TD albums I don't like: Le Parc, Finnegan's Wake, Tangram, Encore, Zeit, Cyclone, Force Majuere, Exit, White Eagle.

Okay, now I have some reference points. Very surprised you don't like Exit and White Eagle, though. "Remote Viewing" is one of the best ambient tracks I've ever heard, while "Mojave Plan" is one of TD's best side-long epics!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 11:39

Thanks for the tips. But all too fast and rocky for me.

Try these instead. Zombi covers all the bases. No drumkit, just kick. Wonderful sequencer piece.

Steve Moore has a number of solo albums to his credit, and I wager you're going to like those better. Here are two from his album Light Echoes.

A Jarre-flavored ditty from Primitive Neural Pathways.

...and if you don't like this pair of eccentricities from Pangaea Ultima, I don't know what to tell you! (:

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:07
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Richard is not welcome here, but anytime at home.

should I be offendedOuch

anyway Neuronium not been mentioned by the looks of it. Heritage is a classic TD like album.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 03:30
Tangerine Dream doesn't sound like Tangerine Dream after 1980, in my opinion. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 04:41
should I be offended.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 06:39

Edited by moshkito - December 29 2020 at 08:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 09:00
I am. ;-)

Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 12:22
From the Netherlands René van der Wouden.
Lots of music available on bandcamp.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 15:25
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Tangerine Dream doesn't sound like Tangerine Dream after 1980, in my opinion. ;-)

They don't sound like Tangerine Dream from '70-80, either. LOL

Electronic Meditation.
Zeit.
Stratosfear.
Cyclone.
Force Majeure.
Tangram.

^Sounds like six different bands right there! 

Tangerine Dream is simply Tangerine Dream. Big smile
davedvd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davedvd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 16:30
Robert Rich - Filaments

To me, this is the closest thing to Phaedra / Rubycon era I've ever listened.

Edited by davedvd - February 11 2019 at 17:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>