Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wizzard (UK) for Heavy prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wizzard (UK) for Heavy prog
    Posted: February 17 2019 at 04:20
Band features Roy Wood of ELO, first album offers a heavy rock sound alongside heavy saxopone. A hybrid of heavy rock and heavy jazz. The saxopone adds to the heavy rock feel. Very creative sounding and impressive cohesivness.

Reccomended album

Wizzard Brew of 1973.
https://open.spotify.com/track/27zKxvZEyadcfuuk15CXJn?si=vKHfI6G7TLGCkXwULapBzw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizzard_Brew

Edited by Icarium - February 17 2019 at 04:22
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 06:42
Love Roy Wood.  Got to see Wizzard live back in the day.  Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman (Flo & Eddie) were in the lobby and had a fun conversation with them.  Memorable evening and great show.  Bagpipes!  Also loved his production for Annie Haslam's "Annie In Wonderland" record.

Edited to add that he was also a founding member of The Move (with Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan amongst others).  And Boulders and Mustard (includes Annie Haslam and Phil Everly! as guests) are two other fine Wizzard LP's.

Edited by Snicolette - February 17 2019 at 07:08
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 07:21
It's probably fair to say that many in the UK, including me, are prejudiced against Wizzard as a result of their habit of re-releasing their sh*te novelty single I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day about 200 times over the last 46 years. Okay I exaggerate a little, but throughout my formative years it seemed that every Christmas it would be hanging around the singles chart like a bad smell. If I never hear that song again it will be a million years too soon.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 08:07
You have a chance to give it one star if the band is added
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 08:08
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

It's probably fair to say that many in the UK, including me, are prejudiced against Wizzard as a result of their habit of re-releasing their sh*te novelty single I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day about 200 times over the last 46 years. Okay I exaggerate a little, but throughout my formative years it seemed that every Christmas it would be hanging around the singles chart like a bad smell. If I never hear that song again it will be a million years too soon.

We don't have that problem in the US (of that single), I feel your pain.  LOL  The endless repetition of holiday music from Nov 1 onwards here is truly torture.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 08:52
this is well made glam rock indeed, reminds me of Marc Bolan's T.Rex
fairly out of range in parts, though I have problems to hear the progressive rock aspect on 'Wizzard Brew'

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 08:58
At the time, Marc Bolan and Howard Kaylan were good friends...and also both fans of Roy's.  Interesting to make the comparison.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 09:05
  Lamp interesting to know, thanks

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

You have a chance to give it one star if the band is added
That would be petty and mean.

Excellent!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply